PRM utility rack "fix" - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
PRM utility rack "fix"

I had a six pack rack and only carried the divers box. Wanted to start carrying gas, so at xmas got a utility rack from PRM. 5 minutes on H/M trails, it feel/broke. Had to ratchet strap the rest of the day not to lose all I had. So came home $25 and a lower visit. Bought 2 strips of aluminum and stainless nuts/bolts. Longer so they go thru the holes and can put nuts on them. Haven't tested it yet, but it seems to be solid. Hope this helps anybody who has this issue or is trying to find a way to carry extra fuel/supplies. IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Somebody was selling a PRM rear grab bar with built in tank not long ago. For prerunning in Mexico the IMS tank is a must plus I've used a heavy duty MSR bladder strapped to the front of the bike to carry extra fuel

-2008 Alba Racing TRX700xx Desert Runner-
post #3 of 21 Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbleach View Post
5 minutes on H/M trails, it feel/broke. Had to ratchet strap the rest of the day not to lose all I had. So came home $25 and a lower visit.
I can see the pieces of aluminum you added. What I don't see is where it broke or what ever you meant by " feel/broke"? I also noticed you didn't drill the 3rd hole on each side, like PRM recommends you to do when hauling extra weight. You have to keep in mind this is a sport quad rack, not a utility rack. I think max weight is 20 lbs. I have yet to try mine out, but I did add the 3rd bolt on each side. And reinforced the deck with aluminum strips, where I bolted my cases down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak619 View Post
Somebody was selling a PRM rear grab bar with built in tank not long ago. For prerunning in Mexico the IMS tank is a must plus I've used a heavy duty MSR bladder strapped to the front of the bike to carry extra fuel
I tried to buy that, but he didn't want to ship it. I don't know why he posted on a forum when trying to sale locally.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It broke on the plastic and fell down. The bolts loosened on the frame. At the time I didn't notice the 3rd hole. I drilled it now and added lock nylon buts to each bolt. To me, If It can't carry 2 gallons of gas and a few lightweight tools, tire plug, why even have it? I'm not trying to carry a Yeti cooler packed with beer. I'm trying to have extra gas and supplies if needed on the trail. I haven't tried it yet, but will hopefully soon! What are you going to carry on yours? I had the six pack rack, that did fine, but only carried the tools I refer to above. I wanted extra gas, because we ride deep!
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbleach View Post
It broke on the plastic and fell down. The bolts loosened on the frame. What are you going to carry on yours? I had the six pack rack, that did fine, but only carried the tools I refer to above. I wanted extra gas, because we ride deep!
Are you talking about the fender supports? I'm not sure what you mean by plastic, my rack is all aluminum. I used the hardware provided and applied loctite as well. The PRM racks are thin & flimsy as far as side to side. The rear grab bar is strong as hell, if lifting straight up. If you try and jerk quad sideways like out of a rut, good luck! The rack does flex quit a bit, sideways with very little pressure applied. The repair you did, I don't see this helping any with side ways flex. And it looks like you used thinner material than the prm. I hope it holds up better for you on your next ride.

As far as what I will be hauling, I have two storage boxes, one will be for drinks, and the other for tools. I will also carry a tow strap. PRM says like 20 lbs max, but if I can lift the quad by the grab bar, why couldn't you add like 50 lbs? IDK but I don't plan on hauling much more than a couple drinks and tools, maybe a jacket. I will let you know how mine survives the hills of Wv.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I have the same rack. I thought about adding support as well. Mine hasn't broke yet but I haven't put fuel on it. It's not strong enough.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnowman View Post
It's not strong enough.
Are you referring to the thin deck or base of the rack?

post #8 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Garage

Rox Anti-vib risers
Flexx bars
Cycra Hand Guards
ODI grips
Elka shocks
post #9 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 10:55 AM

Garage
The 2 thin slivers of aluminum that hold it on the bike. It ways from side to side. I like the fix that supports it down to the frame between the rear A-Arms, adds some stiffness, but will need another bracket tying the two sides together.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Garage
If you are wondering why mine is black, I used bed liner paint on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode