Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

PRM cooler rack plus T5500 water/dust proof case install/review

24K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  GEARSLAYER 
#1 ·
I just installed a PRM cooler rack and a s3 T5500 waterproof/dustproof case for the cooler rack. I had a few cooler racks on my other quads before the 700xx, and I wanted to see how nice the PRM one is. The 2nd task was to find a waterproof/dust proof toolbox/case to fit snuggly in the cooler rack. With this combo, my goal is to have a level grab bar and have a beefy toolbox for the trails. I did my research and here's what I ended up with...

The PRM cooler rack is by far the nicest cooler rack I have had/seen. I bought mine at the PRM website for about $90 shipped. It sits parallel to the ground and doesn't angle up. This makes grabbing the rack very easy. It seems durable and tough (heavy duty brackets for support), and of course, the strap is nice. It also comes with a bracket under the rack to relocate the rear light. It was very easy to move the light and reinstall. You don't have to relocate the light, but if you put a cooler in it, the light would not be visible.

I found a few boxes but I decided to go with the s3 T5500 xtreme case. If you do a search on google, you'll find some companies that sell them. Mine was about $60 shipped. A little steep, but worth it. They come in different sizes and are actually meant for scuba diving. The T5500 has the perfect dimensions for the PRM rack, but I did have to shave down a hair of the plastic to fit. No biggie though. A dremel tool worked perfectly. This case is waterproof/dustproof, has stainless steel hinges, and the plastic is beefcake. It locks well and can hold many essential items that could be needed on the trail. I just drilled two holes through the plastic/aluminum to attach the case to the rack. Inside the case, there is a few pieces of rippable foam so you can rip out an exact amount of foam to fit an item so it doesn't bounce around.

Overall, a nice setup to carry things while riding. Here are some pics...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting Tread

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks. If you need any info regarding install or finding the T5500, let me know. Other boxes included the 609 Dry box or the B&W outdoor case, but I think the T5500 is the best fit and you get the most size for the fit.

#9 ·
I do wheelies as well, and I have never hit my cooler rack bars off the ground with any of my quads. You shouldn't have a problem at all.

#10 ·
Wow looks like a nice setup with many different uses :hey:

#11 ·
#12 ·
That is the same case that I used. Completely waterproof and dustproof and fits perfectly in the PRM cooler rack. I bolted mine into the rack... It's a great setup.

#13 ·
Can anyone tell me if the PRM bumper interferes with exhaust flow at all? with a aftermarket pipe? noticed the AC one does, an I would wanna use it for carrying a gas can.

#18 ·
Are you sure t-bird? I'm not asking about the "rack" that you have, I'm asking about the 6-pack cooler bumper! Just makin sure we are on the same page as this thread is about the cooler bumper, not that back rack.

#17 ·
Does the PRM rack mount like the stock grab bar? or does it use a spacer in between the frame and rack? My Ac rack doesn't have the bend like the stock one and it breaks bolts very often. I hate it.

#19 ·
the place where you put the cooler or gas can isnt wide enough for the exhaust to hit it

#42 · (Edited)
For future purchasers, free shipping from this site and cheaper for the cooler
S3 T-5500 Dry Protective Water Proof Boxes

I got tired of looking for one big box, so I just ordered 2 of these for the Reaper Quad. I was tempted to get one black and one yellow! But was worried the yellow wouldn't match quads graphics lol. Hopping I can mount them sideways in new rack, and have the nearly 5x10" of open space between them for what ever. There specked at "Outside Dimensions 10.19 x 8.55 x 6.80" So I will see if I can make that .19 fit in. I believe blk84 said he had to shave his slightly to make it fit. I know they will fit long ways since rack is 21x10". Although it would be nice to have them fit the other way, I will see soon enough. And it's crazy how 5 1/2 years ago blk84 paid $60 for one box. And today with Rastled's link I purchase 2 for just under $63.00 shipped!

:smile:

#22 ·
I can take a picture later on today for you.

#27 ·
Thinking of ordering the PRM 6 pack rack. Can anybody tell me if when you stand the bike up on the grab bar if it still sits there at the 12 o clock position or if you can no longer stand it up like that with this bar. I hate to say it but I clean the underneath of my bike like this and want to be able to keep doing it this way......... Also makes swapping sprokets easier

#28 ·
IDK about the prm rack. And I don't understand how standing the quad up makes it easier to swap the sprocket. Standing the quad up alone is more work than the whole job, the way I do it.

#29 ·
ive never stood my quad up on end, but the prm rack is a good 8" longer than the stock grab bar (dont quote me on that length, its just an estimate). I dont know if that would be enough to prohibit you from standing it up or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.