GT Thunder rear shock re-work! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GT Thunder rear shock re-work!

I had this under another thread, but wanted to get it in the product review area.

GT Thunder rebuilt, re-valved, custom set-up for my style and weight, and converted the rear shocks to a dual spring setup for around $450 which seems like a very reasonable price. It took about a week but I was able to drop them off and pick them up since I work about 5 miles away, so you would need to add some time for shipping. Also during the busy season you will want to see if the lead time gets longer.

Now for the actual review:

The rear shocks feel so much better. I thought they were a bit too soft at first, but I just needed to adjust the ride height and they feel perfect.

GT Thunder re-valve / dual rate spring rear Trx700xx shock review (so search engine's will find it):::

1.) The action on both compression and rebound is INCREDIBLE, just absolutly butter smooth, but still resisted bottoming well. I only managed to kiss the bottom one time after getting about 6 feet high and around 20 ft out and intentionally landing on the back tires.
2.) It articulates and handles extreme off camber washouts really well. About 18" difference from one side to the other (tripoded for a bit up front) Before the same trail felt very tippy and I would brace with my foot.
3.) It did reduce the ability to slide the tail even more, so be prepared to buy a bigger swaybar for most, but I like it for the additional drive.
4.) It keeps the tires on the ground better and really drives you forward in anything.
5.) For anybody getting the "kick" at the end it is gone, just completely gone.

I put it to the test on a trail that is short and very steep then transitions shallower and left into roots with ~9 to 16" sharp steps between two (narrow) trees then an off camber loose rutted right climb. I could never get over the steps and keep the front between two trees on the trail and would have to tail drag back to the bottom. It was an absolute swamp today and I made it on the second try, and it was my fault I didn't get it the first time not the bike. The old pogos on the back couldn't even do it in summer, it bounced into a tree EVERY time!!

It soaked up everything I threw at it and only just barely bottomed out when I really tried to G-out on the base of a sharp transition hill or intentionally landed on the rears.

Very pleased and well worth the money, but I have never ran aftermarket or custom suspension before so I don't have anything to compare to except stock.

I ordered a set of the HLS Essential series front shocks and will let you know how they do also.

2008 TRX700 - Tusk Aluminum Hand Guards, ODI Rouge Grips, American Star Chromoly Tie Rods, 12T front, ITP 10" Rims with custom 4-leaf clover reinforcement, 22" Razr2's Front and Rear, Moose Fat Peg Nerf bars, GT Thunder Rear re-valve/dual rate setup

Immortal 1995 fourtraxx 300 2WD that has survived everything but armageddon

Husky TE450 street ride - stock with some new plastics

1974 Yamaha DT 125 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thats good to know ive always heard good reports about the quality and service, i will prolly get them do my rear. xx shocks unless elka comes off there already ridiculous high price i waited around and got some stg4 elkas for 750!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Dude that is a steal for elkas 4's! The front HLS are being built and he should have them ready late next week or early the week after. Hopefully we get a little weather window here in Ohio and I can put them through the paces.

2008 TRX700 - Tusk Aluminum Hand Guards, ODI Rouge Grips, American Star Chromoly Tie Rods, 12T front, ITP 10" Rims with custom 4-leaf clover reinforcement, 22" Razr2's Front and Rear, Moose Fat Peg Nerf bars, GT Thunder Rear re-valve/dual rate setup

post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Finally got the new HLS fronts on. Good thing too, one of my fronts was completely blown out just running on springs. As soon as I get a chance to take them for a good test I will let you know how they perform. One thing right off the bat was the eye to eye length was shorter, about 1.5" unsprung on the floor, empty stance height is about 1-3/4" lowered (went from 12-7/8" to the bottom frame gusset under the bumper to 10-1/8"). There is a ton of adjustment though so I may have them moved up closer to stock if I don't like it, seems like a great stance with 22's all around. About 8.5" of height at the pegs with me on it fully geared out, I think stock ran around 10", with just the GT rears it was down to 9".

post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
the only thing that is it sounds like you lost a little wheel travel which sucks if you bottom out alot with most after market shocks you usually gain an inch or 2 of wheel travel and if your hard core youll wish you had that exrta travel!

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

The way I understand it I don't lose travel, the spring diameter is noticably thiner so compressed size changes meaning the stroke is the same. There is plenty of room to run longer springs if someone needs the max travel, but I doubt I will with my style and level of riding. Not sure about the bottoming yet, but if it becomes a problem I will have him extend the springs and stiffen them or adjust the compression valving. No matter what it has to be better than the stock trash they put on these in the factory.

I ran it around the yard a few times and it seems to have helped with front end push, but I will need a better test to be sure.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ordered a set of 4 HLS shocks for my Rancher, can't wait to try them out.

KASH 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode