EHS lid kit - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
EHS lid kit for the 700XX - review and group buy

After several rides on my 700XX I noticed just how much sand, dirt and debris got in my airbox. Aside from the normal fine particles of fine, dust-type dirt I found grass and even small pebbles. On my last quad I thought I would make my own (don't laugh) panty hose lid for my 400EX. It seemed like it would work, I mean the panty hose mesh was fine enough to block out sand particles right?

Wrong. After my trip to the dunes I found sand sitting at the bottom of my intake runner. Major fail.

So, learning my lesson from my "panty failure" I shot Eric at EHS Racing an email and ordered a kit for the 700XX. Eric was super-helpful and knowledgeable and the package came in the mail a few days later.

The Install

Fortunatly I already had a second air lid that I could use to modify my airbox and then compare the two. After opening the box a looked over the installation instructions and found them to be very intuitive and spot on. They mention what tools you will need as well as some best practices while completing the task. One thing that the instruction ssuggest and I *highly* suggest is that you use a dremmel-type tool to cut the hole. With this I cut through the plastic with no jagged edges and my cut was pretty much accurate. With that same tool I also cleaned up my not-so-neat cuts.

Part of the kit is a cnc'd block of aluminum that..er blocks off the front intake shown here.

When you go to mount the prefilter you'll want to mount the top bracket to the block of aluminum 1st as it's easier to "adjust" your other holes than to move/modify these. I put a small bead of solocone around where the upper bracket meets the top of the airbox as an added extra precaution to prevent water seapage. The whole install took me around 30 minutes while watching my kiddos play outside. Not bad at all.

Performance

Wow. Because I had both lids I got to compare two stock filters and how dirty they got with each lid. For both tests I was able to follow a buddy in some pretty dusty and dirty conditions. With the stock lid I found the yellow stock filter to be not-so-yellow after about an hour of riding. With the EHS lid the filter got "dusted" directly facing the EHS opening, but overall I found the filter to be a lot cleaner and my airbox wasn't full of debris. Also you can really hear the quads intake now under wide open throttle. When I changed to a more free-er flowing UNI filter it was quite fun holding on while my quad tried to accelerate without me on it.
Fortunatelyriding on the 1st day of Spring in Southern Mississippi brought some nice mid to high 70 degree temps which were great for testing to see how well the lid did with keeping the water out. I didn't go through any water that would have been over the airbox, but I did blast through some 12-18" mudd and water forgetting about my lid. Remembering I pulled over and checked. Not even a drop got through to the filter! Later when I washed it no water go through unless I directly sprayed water at it. Running water just ran off the top of it.

Summary

The kit is $95, and $130 for the whole setup. If it were me I would drop the extra $30 for the whole setup if you didn't have a second lid lying around, but some do-it-yourselfers may opt for the $95 add on kit. As of the time of this being written you have choices of black, blue or red.

Is it worth it? You betcha. Greater air flow and protection from your airbox filling with debris were the biggest points for me. Also, before ordering the lid I checked some other responses from people who have the EHS lids on different quads and the overwhelming majority had excellent things to say about the product, but even more importantly about the people behind the EHS Racing lids.

Check 'em out here:

Main site:

http://www.ehsracing.com/

Kits available:

http://wwm.ehsracing.com/store/Items...0xx&key=search

Group Discount

Eric from EHS Racing also offered a 20% discount to group buys over 7 users and a 10% discount to all club700xx users over the next 2 months.

Thanks Eric!

Group buy people:

1. xx-rated
2. THREESVTS
3. the_hawk (DIY kit)
4. 5W0P3 (Full Lid)

5. smo0oth1 (DIY kit)
6. tomkat (Full lid)
7. Nash04 (Full Lid)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by scuzz; 04-20-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those are awesome. I used a little shoo-goo around the edges to get a completly watertight seal on mine and you are right, my filter stays much cleaner with the EHS setup instead of the stock one.

08 700XX, FMF pipe, PC3, Velocity filter, OMF Beadlocks, PRM nerfs, bumpers and skids, Maxxis Razr's font and rear, Sonic anti-roll bar( BEST MOD AVAILABLE), Vapor dash, Pro-taper bars

01 Busa 500+ hp, carbon fiber rocket Velocity/Garrett powered, TotalKaos Built
08 B-king stock for now
post #3 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Very nice review, if I ever go aftermarket I'll definitely pick one up!

post #4 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Sold!!

Thanks Scuzz!

You are becoming a posting whore! 947 and counting? Sheesh...

Nice work.

Last edited by xx-rated; 03-26-2009 at 01:55 PM.
post #5 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Fortunately I'm trying to make up for my earlier quantity with my newer quality. Plus I just proved that I would eat dirt for you guys.

lol

Gone are my "ditto", "X2", "FAIL", "what", "you're kidding right" and "bump" posts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to order one today. Thanks man! Did you have to mess with your map to compensate for the lid?

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

1997 Toyota Supra Black/Black with a little boost and 1300 hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Mustang Cobra ditched the S/C for a 80mm hairdryer
2007 Yamaha R1 Charcoal/Black
2013 BMW 335 Coupe Deep Sea Blue/Black
post #7 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes, but I was running rich previously, so I leaned it out a little bit. I had other bugs I was working out. You shouldn't have to richen-up yours. (don't take my word for it though; always check your plug)

post #8 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I was just wondering if I have to bring my lap top for my next ride after I install the lid. I have a box of 16 plugs ready to go. I have what some people say is a bad habit of changing my plug when I change my oil.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

1997 Toyota Supra Black/Black with a little boost and 1300 hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Mustang Cobra ditched the S/C for a 80mm hairdryer
2007 Yamaha R1 Charcoal/Black
2013 BMW 335 Coupe Deep Sea Blue/Black
post #9 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

IMO there's nothing wrong with that. That way you can always tell how well you're machine is running. Just make sure you hose all the sand/dirt out of the plug area before you remove it so that it doesn't fall down in your cylinder.

post #10 of 179 Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM

is it the whole airbox assembly or just the lid post a pic how it looks

2008 honda 700xx
2007 yamaha yfz450 SE2
2002 honda super blackbird 11xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode