This sucks - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
sad This sucks

Had a great weekend at the SORRA race, but my computer crashed Monday. I got as far as uploading all the pics I took over the weekend and getting them edited ready to post.... Now my computer won't start up... There are a couple things that could be wrong and I can get it fixed, but depending on what's wrong, it could make me start all over... I'll explain.

1. Bad switch... easy to repair and not too much $
2. Bad video card... again easy to repair but more $
3. Bad Power Supply inside computer... harder to replace and more $ but doable
4. Crashed Hard Drive (most likely).... easy to replace and not that much $, but will loose all my data... programs, photos, hardware profiles... everything.

Will find out Monday

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Sid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
roadkill,
If the hard drive went bad a place like Staples can take the information from it and install it on a new drive. I have had this happen and all data was saved. Even all the "Favorites" were still intact. Cost was about $60.00 (labor) and the new Terabyte drive was about $100.00. (Note: Installation into the machine was included.) Additionally, they ran a diagnostic program on the rest of the machine).
Good Luck,
Sid
post #3 of 6 Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
roadkill,
If the hard drive went bad a place like Staples can take the information from it and install it on a new drive. I have had this happen and all data was saved. Even all the "Favorites" were still intact. Cost was about $60.00 (labor) and the new Terabyte drive was about $100.00. (Note: Installation into the machine was included.) Additionally, they ran a diagnostic program on the rest of the machine).
Good Luck,
Sid

Thanks Sid, That's good to know... This was the worst problem... lost information. Glad there is a way to recover the information from my hard drive.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters

post #4 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Didn't get the answer I wanted from Staples... My computer is toast... fried mother board and they can't get a replacement part, but they are getting all my info off my hard drive so it can be put back on my new computer... Having one built to my specs and needs. 2ghz processor, 1-2 Gb memory, 6 USB slots, CD/DVD, 3.5 floppy... various other things and running Windows98 (critical must)

roadkill

R. Waters

post #5 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Sid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
roadkill,
Sorry about your computer but, at least, they can recover your data from the hard drive.
Good luck with the new machine. By-the-way, I hope you have an Uninterruptable Power Supply. They are a blessing when lightning or power outages are a problem. My APC has kept me out of trouble for years. They have a wide range of options.
Sid
post #6 of 6 Old 11-03-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Should get my new computer Monday or Tuesday. Staples would only copy my data, they wouldn't copy the various programs I had installed... just a mass of unassociated files... but my computer builder will. I don't want to buy the programs again... besides the programs will be newer versions that probably will not be compatible with Windows98 that I need to run.

Windows98 is the last Windows OS that can support DOS and I use an old DOS based program that insures that Client data stays confidential... Federal Law (42 CFR, Part 2)

roadkill

R. Waters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode