User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
Tips for First Time Jumping

How many of you are jumping your 700xx? Here is a little article I wrote about jumping the larger machines. Keep in mind it was written about jumping a KFX700 however many of the same rules of jumping apply. Hopefully everyone will pull a little safety information out of this before they try jumping on their own...save a few trips to the ER.

First thing you want to do is find a nice big table top jump to use and wear the safety gear...Table top for those not familier with types of ramps and jumps is a ramp up and ramp down with dirt filled inbetween that is for the most part level with the top of the ramps. These are good jumps to learn on since you can come up short and not get planted into up-ramp of the next jump.
Approach...Get your speed set before you start up the ramp and stand up. Standing up helps when you hit the take off ramp at the base...the machine will be less likely to compress the springs and release on the ramp before reaching the top...You'll see in the first picture I'm standing up and looking for a nice square, smooth lip on the ramp.
(IMG:http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/53/553...6BNocjz_th.jpg)

On ramp...increase your throttle. As you go up the ramp your machine will slow down so give it some gas, even increase the speed. DON'T LET OFF THE THROTTLE AT THIS POINT!!! At this point you are committed to going in the air. If you back off the throttle, it will cause the front end to dive the second it leaves the ramp...very bad thing that hurts a lot.
Just prior to take off...Be looking ahead for where you are going to land...again be standing up and stay on the throttle. It's better to stay on the throttle then to back off...
(IMG:http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/14/15/...6ccRktE_th.jpg)

In the air...Here is where pending how far you want to go you either stand or sit...If I'm going for some distance, I tend to sit and create less wind resistance. If I'm hopping short or getting altitude in the jump, I tend to stand up more...Think of your body as a wind break...At this point pending how you want to land you need to adjust your throttle. There is mixed thoughts on landing front first, rear first or all four at the same time...I personally like to set it down on a flat front first but at a shallow angle...much smoother landing. To do this you back off the throttle a little once you are in the air. To land rear first, give it gas in the air...Landing rear first will cause the front to "slap" down and I think is a little more of a violent landing. Somewhere in between with the throttle will put you down on all 4 wheels at the same time...just takes practice.
(IMG:http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/58/158...6QdHExE_th.jpg)

Landing...again be off the seat and use your legs as shocks too. This is especially important if you are getting big air or running with a lot of speed...Brace your self in the arms, have your knees bent and as the machine touches down, bend the knees and end up sitting on the machine...one fluid motion.
(IMG:http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/59/59/...6hycIyr_th.jpg)

Last edited by KTM265; 10-19-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 AM

Good tips.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I like to start the jump slower and get progressivly faster and farther. You can always tell they guys who don't do that by the amount of bent and flopping things on their quads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM

I wish I read this before I went out. I didn't crash and burn but i QUICKLY found out DONT LET OFF THE GAS BEFORE THE TOP OF THE JUMP! this thing is way nose heavy!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yes, you should have tacks leading the whole jump where your rear tires arent skidding or spinning out. It makes for creampuff landings.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
I'm glad you all were able to get a little information from this... If anyone is in the midwest and wants a few lessons, be more then happy to meet up and work with you. I learned by pacing behind another guy...saved me a few crash and burns.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM

I would rather overjump than come up short, when in doubt gas it!

Bo White
205-886-7043
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Nice advice. I tend to shy away from jumping. Yea I'm an old fart and my knees are not as good as they once were. But I can run with the best of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Patriotic 700xx. Invision Blaze of Glory graphics, Pro armor Dominator II bumper, DG Nerfs, Acerbis Hand Guards, Maxxis Razr Rears, Two Brothers Exhaust, P4 Power tip, Rocky Mountain Lexx EFI controller. AC six pack grab bar, GPS Mount.

(((Handicap Racing)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode