Picking up my red/black 700XX this Sat - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picking up my red/black 700XX this Sat

Hi, my name is Ben, I am the newest member to club! After 24 years of riding, I feel like a boy on XX-mas eve. I started on a trx125 then onto 200X, 200SX, 250x, 350X, 250R, Warrior, '00 400EX and now my '05 400EX w/ reverse, ITP XCT's, full skids and smaller front sprocket to retain stock gearing. My northern NJ trails are tight, heavily eroded, steep and very rocky. When I heard of the 700XX, I considered selling the 400 to get one. The price was very prohibitive, so I waited, then put the XX on the waaaay back burner. Most of the guys I ride with are on utility bikes, and I was inches away from pulling the trigger on a mint 05 Wolverine to get over the nasty stuff, through the deep mud, and not be left behind on the snowy hills. Also, it was easier to justify as a second ride being completelty different than the 400. Then, I came across a great deal and financing on a 08' 700xx. Can't wait to pick it up and ride it. I am concerned that the low end and very technical stuff will require excessive clutch feathering and subsequent wear. It seems obvious that changing gearing through sprocket swaps would be very difficult, if even possible. So here's my question: can I just go down to 20X11x9 tires/rims? With all of the XX ground clearance and top speed, a 2" drop in diameter is a 1" drop in clearance. Still providing gobs more clearance than my 400EX. Lastly, what is the current thinking on breaking these things in. There is a big ride set for this Sunday, but I want ot properly break in the engine.

Thanks for being a part of this forum and really looking forward to reading some useful information. Thanks again,

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the club Ben!

This is the place to be if you want to learn about the XX.....there's alot of knowledgeable, good guys on here.

Get us some photos of your new machine when you can!
post #3 of 25 Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Hi, Ben....
There may be other people more qualified here to give you advice on the break-in. but here is my 2cents....
Don't bog the motor down
Don't over rev.
Don't hold one constant RPM for long periods, ( not really a problem off- road )

Give the gearing a chance...1st and 2nd are low enough

post #4 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
450r sprockets fit the 700xx and are the same part numbers. Drop it down a tooth and leave the tire size the same.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM

I'd agree with zx...

Don't overrev or maintain a constant rpm for extended periods..
Let her cool off periodically...
Ride it like you would normally otherwise.

I broke in my Raptor like a little baby while my buddy broke his in by riding it in a "normal" fashion. His always had a stronger engine than mine, so I've gone to the philosophy of riding it like normal except for the overrevving and constant rpms...

As far as the 9-inch rim...no way!

You will find that you will need to clutch it a bit if you are riding in very technical, slow terrain. This thing wants to haul ass!!

If you want to rock crawl, get a ute!
post #6 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen. That puts me at ease. Less than one day . . .
post #7 of 25 Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 AM

Rode mine during break in like I wanted it to run. I would ride along then I would hit it hard and then coast. I believe you need to ride a new bike the way you want it to run. If you baby it, it will be a baby. I rebuild engines for a living and it holds so true.. Anyway a 700xx is broke-in within 15 miles. So it does not take that long. I remember that at about 15 miles I have mine up to 68 MPH. So my advice is to ride it like you want it to run.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Its a Honda...Ride it like you hate it.....It will run forever...
post #9 of 25 Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input. I love this machine. Rode it a bit on the driveway. I knew it would be a big step up from my 400EX, but this thing is just incredible. I have no idea where I will ever be able to get into 4th and 5th gear. I also found 3rd tall, but 1st and 2nd feel great.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd250x View Post
Thanks for all your input. I love this machine. Rode it a bit on the driveway. I knew it would be a big step up from my 400EX, but this thing is just incredible. I have no idea where I will ever be able to get into 4th and 5th gear. I also found 3rd tall, but 1st and 2nd feel great.

Yeah, I went from a 400EX to mine too. 4th and 5th need some room so you can mash the brakes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode