User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice from the pro riders

Hey there everybody,

I understand most of you are well experienced or professional riders for the TRX700. Although I never rode ATVs before, I happen to have just bought a used trx700. It's all stock but the tires are a little worn out. I am totally new to quad bikes and ATVs so a little scared too. Could you please advice me on:

1) what would be the best tires for the desert and the beach(other than paddle tires coz I may sometimes use it on gravel or grass) What would be the best size on the stock rims?
2) I see a lot of riders putting aftermarket racing parts(exhaust, shocks, etc,etc). Does that really make a difference? Should I do changes too?
3) what are the safety parts that I should install on the bike as I am always scared of crashing or flipping over on the dunes. This is probably the most important question of all.
4) is there a decent driving manual or video that teaches on how to drive and control this monster safely?

Please note the I stay in the Arabian desert and its the harshest desert on the planet with giant dunes.

I have already bought the safety boots, crash helmet, body armour, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM

You definitely want to get some nerf bars, that would be the first thing I buy outside of a helmet.
You definitely want to get a good set of tires, some of the guys on here can help you on a good tire for sand and something that will give you some multi use out of it...I don't ride on sand so I have no clue. I have bearclaws on the back of mine and they seem to be a pretty good all around tires, I certainly don't slip anywhere.
As far as upgrades, I would say to wait and learn the bike if you are not experienced. There's plenty of power on a 700xx and you can do upgrades later when you figure the machine out.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Most likely you will want to get for Tires these three most common ones.

Kenda Bearclaw
ITC Holeshots
GBC X-REX (These are the tires I purchased)

Goodluck with your quad!

2008 Honda TRX 700
-------------------
Barker Exhaust
K&N Air Filter

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
if your going to stay with the 11 inch rim the kenda kutters work pretty well
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I would get a tether switch, especially if you are a beginner and riding in an open area like the dunes. If you happen to fall off, this will automatically shut the bike off, so you don't have to chase after it once you make sure you are okay. Other than that, tires as mentioned above, the GBC has the same mold as MAXIS, which is what I use racing. Not sure what you can get for the stock rims as I changed mine out right away. You may need a flag for the dunes, not sure the requirements where you are. I'd also recommend a different rear bumper, like the PRM Desert Bumper 2, where it has a lower hand hold and an upper one, that way when you bury it in the sand and have to pick up on it, it will make it easier for you. The exhaust, shocks and other accessories (BIG 3, sway bar, lights) are all pretty much preference. For the BIG 3 (exhaust, filter and programmer) it will give it a little more pep. Something you shouldn't have to worry about being very new to the sport. I have a few friends that are still all stock and are nervous to open it up, which is no big deal. You have to respect it.
As far as riding videos and techniques, not sure how to help you there. I think I have a few old VHS videos from Honda that goes over the safety of machines, which is all basic stuff. Everytime before you ride you should check your tire pressure, chain, brakes, stuff like that, along with engine oil and obviously fill it up with gas. Also, make sure you clean the air filter all the time, check it everytime you ride. That may be a good suggestion, get a prefilter for your air filter, run a foam filter because you are in the dunes. The prefilter will help keep the regular filter cleaner, longer.

I'd search for ATV safety videos on youtube. Also, if you don't have any friends that are into this, see if there is a local group out where you live that ride. If so, try to become a member. One, they can show you somethings for riding, two, it is always better to ride with somebody, even if there riding potential is way different than yours.
Good luck with it, and hope you get many great memories.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Snoshoe Send a message via Skype™ to Snoshoe
Welcome to the forum. Doha? cool I'm over here on the air base. for a little while more anyway. I would recomend the bear claws they are a paddle tire that runs smooth on other terrain. If your riding area is like the base you will want a tire with more plies, (6 is good) to prevent punctures from the junk laying around. bear claws are a little big for the rear but hook up very well. I have run the stock tires in soft shifting sands of western texas they work fine but have only 4 ply and puncture easily.you may want to get a 13 tooth front sprocket. It will give you more tourqe and helps you learn shifting and starting.
I agree a buddy and a flag. As you know you don't want to be caught in the desert alone and flag will make you visible to people on the other side of the dune quicker, it also helps your buddy keep track of you in the valleys.
Always remember the machine is smarter than you and will try to prove it every chance it gets.
Have fun

2008 TRX700xx
13Tfront
Kenda Bear Claws 23x8x11
Custom 2" receiver
2007 Honda Forman TRX500es (wifes)
54" Moose plow (for the horse poo)
rear seat/ strorage box
Ground Hog Disk harrow kit
2x 2009 Kawasaki KFX 90 (kids)
PEI fog lights
"If your face isn't dirty, you haven't been riding." Daughter age 10 (riding style, 2 speeds, full out and off)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its amazing how far a KFX 90 will fly if you go fast. 15' is her current record.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 PM

I just purchased a DWT .190 Aluminum rim for 130$ for both and two maxxis Razrs for 240$ from Rocky Mountain ATV. Also got free shipping.

Tire size you want to get is 22x10x11 if you want to keep mud scrapers on.
I just purchased 22x10x11 and rims are 11x7 5 + 2 offset. 369.69 was exact price for my tires and rims.

Hope this helps. Gl

2008 Honda TRX 700
-------------------
Barker Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode