User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Accident or Not?

Tony Stewart hit and killed fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. on Saturday night. Ward was outside his sprint car at the time during a dirt-track race in the Empire Super Sprints series at the Canandaigua (New York) Motorsports Park. Please way in your opinions.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Sid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
M_Quick,
Why in the world did he try to cross the track? I know you can't answer that but that blew me away. He should have stayed in the car. How sad to see a fellow racer die like that. Do these tracks have flags or lights notifying the other drivers of accidents so that they would slow down? I would hope so but it is too late now to change anything. My heart goes out to the family and friends.
Thanks for the heads up.
Sid
post #3 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tony did a slide job on this guy the lap before and that's what sent him into the wall. So he
got out of his car to blow off steam, as Stewart drove by.

As I see it Stewart was to close behind the other car that swerved at the last moment, and when Tony seen the guy it was to late. He gassed it up, to help his car turn to avoid the other guy. They were under yellow, and not up to speed when this happened. Stewart wasn't going any faster than the car he was following. And this form of racing, as I understand it don't use spotters. So Stewart had no clue there was someone in the middle of track, waiting to flip him the bird.

A very said story, for sure. Hopefully they will add radio communication's to these cars.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 08-10-2014 at 01:23 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It must have been an accident. They guy he hit was like 17 years old. I know he was pusses but it was a night race and he ran into the middle of the track with other cars. I don't know what to think about this but I'm completely convinced it was an accident

Flint Michigan Vehicle City!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to Snoshoe Send a message via Skype™ to Snoshoe
You would think the kid would be smart enough to wait till the end of the race. night race, black suit, heavy traffic, Duh even Elmo knows better.

2008 TRX700xx
13Tfront
Kenda Bear Claws 23x8x11
Custom 2" receiver
2007 Honda Forman TRX500es (wifes)
54" Moose plow (for the horse poo)
rear seat/ strorage box
Ground Hog Disk harrow kit
2x 2009 Kawasaki KFX 90 (kids)
PEI fog lights
"If your face isn't dirty, you haven't been riding." Daughter age 10 (riding style, 2 speeds, full out and off)

Its amazing how far a KFX 90 will fly if you go fast. 15' is her current record.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I don't think Stewart did it on purpose. Very sad but the kid should've waited until after the race to confront him.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very sad and my condolences to the family. I race all kinds of car's and sometime accidents do happen. I have seen many first hand, and been very lucky myself. We all hope to make the right reflex reaction for the best outcome, but there are still things outside ones control.

I will not comment on the accident itself, but I am assuming most people have not driven a sprint car, and really don't have a clue about this form of racing and its etiquette.

On the flip side, no good will come of this. Being that this is in NY the highest taxes in the country, and actually pretty close to me, that track will probably be out of buisness next year when the insurence policy is up....The developers will be all over it trying to buy it for pennies on the dollar for the next housing development after drowning the owner in litigation I am sure. NY has not built a new track since the 60's if that tells you something...And it has all the lawyers just drooling over the thought of a big pay day. I heard them discussing litigation strategies and such. Just sickening.

And after that, it looks like the cops are really starting to dig now, bringing in experts and such to figure out speed and determine what exactly, criminal intent? I don't see charges being filed, but I think all in all, it was very bad for the sport, and sportsmen alike. Everyone commenting on it like they think they know something about racing all of a sudden is just making things worse and drawing all kinds of conclusions from what they see, but don't understand. Its just a bad racing accident, nothing more. Things went very wrong, and they can't be changed back to how they were.

Last edited by Dragula; 08-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula View Post
Everyone commenting on it like they think they know something about racing all of a sudden is just making things worse and drawing all kinds of conclusions from what they see, but don't understand.
So are you saying we shouldn't discuss this at all, since were just common people? Here's a link then for you to read of someone that does know a bit about it... Also I'm sure SHR wont let the track go under over this, but again just my thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.tychon...44718932205116

@ tony carr, Ward was 20 yrs old.

@ blakjak619, I don't think he would of wanted to stand toe to toe with Tony and discuss this after the race. Although it would of certainly been a wiser choice. And I know I'm not a expert but Wards car looked drive-able to me. I seen the right rear down, but it certainly looked like he could of drove it to pits and got it back out on the track. Also I've herd you are to remain in the vehicle until the safety crews arrive. But that's just what I've herd.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not pointed at anyone here, but after seeing the CNN coverage, and their comments, it was just sickening bringing lawyers and stuff on to comment on it. No good will come of it. And what is written on the internet must be true, because a lot of really bad opinions by folks with no clue, like the lawyers CNN put on air, are being passed off as facts by the media all over the internet...It was not pointed at anyone here....Its almost as bad as the assault gun debates....Opinions = facts once it is posted on the internet. Just bad for the sport and its not like Sprint cars are a real common sport.

We had two accidents at the Nostalgia Gold cup I was at this weekend, where people where shaken and bruised a little, but Ok. Cars were totalled though..These things can happen, you just hope all the precautions lead to a favorable outcome.

On a lighter note, I hope the track stays around as they are far and few between in NY and it looks like we are losing the one closest to me this year. Hopefully, your right Mr. Quick, and the insurence company dosen't give them the axe, but its stuff like this, that gives our power sports a really bad rap and I have seen it before. Nobody will argue that both drivers had a part to play in the accident, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the results either. My condolences to the family's on both sides.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Snoshoe Send a message via Skype™ to Snoshoe
after watching the footage more. Ward was behind and to the right, Once passed it was his responsability to avoid the accident. Stewarts car was drifting out as they all do Ward was trying to push a bad position and failed.
Saw a guy try to race a corvette on a dirt track during a powder puff race and got all pissed when the person infront of him slowed down and he rearended them, tore the crap out of his front end, he tried to sue the guy for damages. Lol
Its a fickle sport you better be ready for some one to be better than you. Or get off the track.

2008 TRX700xx
13Tfront
Kenda Bear Claws 23x8x11
Custom 2" receiver
2007 Honda Forman TRX500es (wifes)
54" Moose plow (for the horse poo)
rear seat/ strorage box
Ground Hog Disk harrow kit
2x 2009 Kawasaki KFX 90 (kids)
PEI fog lights
"If your face isn't dirty, you haven't been riding." Daughter age 10 (riding style, 2 speeds, full out and off)

Its amazing how far a KFX 90 will fly if you go fast. 15' is her current record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode