Wheels - powder coat stocks or get a new set? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wheels - powder coat stocks or get a new set?

I want black wheels for my EX, but I'm debating on whether to get my stocks powder coated black or to just buy a new set of black ITP Pro GPs.

It would cost me about $330 to get a new set. Since I don't make a hell of a lot of money right now (broke college student) I'd have to order the fronts first, then the rears at a later date. Or, I can get my stocks powder coated black for $25 a wheel but I'd have to buy a replacement for my bent stock. Found a guy selling one on ATV Riders for $40 shipped. For those of you scoring at home, that's $140 for black powder coated stocks. Basically I can get the stocks done for less than the cost of two new ones. It would also leave room to get my nerfs coated black, too. The stocks seems pretty tough, only the one front is bent and that's because a Jeep ran into me on the trails. Other than that, they've held up fine for 5 years now on some pretty rough trails and jumps, so I don't really see the need for a whole new set.

I realize now after typing all this up that it doesn't really make any sense for me to get a new set, but I figured I'd get some input on the situation.

Red '05 TRX400EX:

|White Brothers E-Series Exhaust|Stock Header w/ Welds Ground|Gearing: Trail - 14/39, Dunes - 13/39|Primary Drive Sprockets and Gold X-Ring Chain|Sparks +6 Key|42mm Keihin Carb|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|Tinner Scoops|TAG T2 Bars|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|DirtSkins Shock Covers|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles, GBC Dune Tracker Fronts|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why do you want to spend money on PC anyway? After a few good brushes with rocks, stumps and tree branches they'll look like crap. I can't even remember how many times I've seen guys with nice new black wheels only to have black shiny wheels with a silver lip around the bead after a couple of rides.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

1997 Toyota Supra Black/Black with a little boost and 1300 hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Mustang Cobra ditched the S/C for a 80mm hairdryer
2007 Yamaha R1 Charcoal/Black
2013 BMW 335 Coupe Deep Sea Blue/Black
post #3 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Because powder coating will last 10x longer than any other kind of painting.

Red '05 TRX400EX:

|White Brothers E-Series Exhaust|Stock Header w/ Welds Ground|Gearing: Trail - 14/39, Dunes - 13/39|Primary Drive Sprockets and Gold X-Ring Chain|Sparks +6 Key|42mm Keihin Carb|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|Tinner Scoops|TAG T2 Bars|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|DirtSkins Shock Covers|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles, GBC Dune Tracker Fronts|

post #4 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelley View Post
I want black wheels for my EX, but I'm debating on whether to get my stocks powder coated black or to just buy a new set of black ITP Pro GPs.

It would cost me about $330 to get a new set. Since I don't make a hell of a lot of money right now (broke college student) I'd have to order the fronts first, then the rears at a later date. Or, I can get my stocks powder coated black for $25 a wheel but I'd have to buy a replacement for my bent stock. Found a guy selling one on ATV Riders for $40 shipped. For those of you scoring at home, that's $140 for black powder coated stocks. Basically I can get the stocks done for less than the cost of two new ones. It would also leave room to get my nerfs coated black, too. The stocks seems pretty tough, only the one front is bent and that's because a Jeep ran into me on the trails. Other than that, they've held up fine for 5 years now on some pretty rough trails and jumps, so I don't really see the need for a whole new set.

I realize now after typing all this up that it doesn't really make any sense for me to get a new set, but I figured I'd get some input on the situation.
I think in your situation it makes sense to keep them and get them powder coated. I thought about doing the same for the rims on my 700XX, but they are such junk that it wouldn't be worth the money IMO.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

No doubt PC if far superior to any kind of paint. But no matter what you coat the wheels with, they'll still get scraped, scratched, and banged up. The money spent on coating the wheels is then wasted and they'll look like garbage again. Which is why I said to polish instead. If it get's scratched or starts oxidizing you can always polish it to make it look new. You cannot, however, PC a wheel in just one spot to cover up a scratch or chip. Well you could, but not at home, and it would not be practical.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

You never mentioned anything about polishing. Plus, I want black wheels.

Red '05 TRX400EX:

post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Whoops my mistake. I was thinking it, but the thought never made it to my fingers to type it. If it's what you want, get it. If you're dead set on black wheels, you should buy new ones that are stronger than the OE wheels. I'm all for doing it right and getting what you want the first time. If you have to wait and save the $$$ for it, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by THREESVTS; 10-21-2009 at 02:06 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know how that goes. I've done it about 10 times while writing my paper today.

I'd love to get a new set of ITP Pro GPs or Bajas, but at the same time I don't really want to spend ~$330-$400 on wheels. In all honesty, though, my stocks have help up fine for years. Pretty sure even a stronger aftermarket wheel would have bent after getting hit by a Jeep. And I'm all for doing it right, too. I've been looking for other people who have powder coated or painted to see how they have held up.

Red '05 TRX400EX:

post #9 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 PM

Do neither. Save your money for an XX. I can tell you want one!

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #10 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Oh don't worry, that's coming no matter if I coat them or not. After I pay off my TV (December will be my last payment) I'm going to finance one. Should be able to pick one up for dirt cheap. I'm going to keep my 400EX anyways so I'm going to continue doing mods to it.

Red '05 TRX400EX:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode