700 gearing - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
700 gearing

well since the gearing on the 700 was designed by mickey and Donald, I`m going to change it. will try a front sprocket change first. can`t decide, thinking a one tooth change either way. would like to hear the pro- cons of both, can`t seem to make up my mind from what I`ve read. going down will make the throttle and wheels up problem worse, going up will kill a lot of that. don`t think I would need the extra top end, not many places around here you can open one up anyway. like to see comments from people who`ve done it both ways---thanks, bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by famous bob View Post
well since the gearing on the 700 was designed by mickey and Donald, I`m going to change it. will try a front sprocket change first. can`t decide, thinking a one tooth change either way. would like to hear the pro- cons of both, can`t seem to make up my mind from what I`ve read. going down will make the throttle and wheels up problem worse, going up will kill a lot of that. don`t think I would need the extra top end, not many places around here you can open one up anyway. like to see comments from people who`ve done it both ways---thanks, bob
I haven't done both, but I did go from the stock 14t to a 13t and love the results. Like you, I don't have many places where I can open it up much, so no problem there. As for the wheels up problem... it's just a matter of getting used to the lower gearing and adjusting your riding. The biggest benefit with lower gearing is the extra torque and power at low speed on tight twisty trails. One other thing, it also keeps you in a better power band (RPM/peak HP)... Instead of lugging alone in 3rd or over revving in 2nd, I'm in 3rd at a good RPM.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I haven't done both, but I did go from the stock 14t to a 13t and love the results. Like you, I don't have many places where I can open it up much, so no problem there. As for the wheels up problem... it's just a matter of getting used to the lower gearing and adjusting your riding. The biggest benefit with lower gearing is the extra torque and power at low speed on tight twisty trails. One other thing, it also keeps you in a better power band (RPM/peak HP)... Instead of lugging alone in 3rd or over revving in 2nd, I'm in 3rd at a good RPM.

roadkill
thanks, was thinking of going down one tooth first. seems like it will make the touchy throttle thing worse tho. bob

post #4 of 9 Old 03-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks, was thinking of going down one tooth first. seems like it will make the touchy throttle thing worse tho. bob
It does, but that's just getting used to more low end power and torque. One thing: They don't make a 13t listed for the 700xx, BUT the sprockets listed for a TRX450 are the same and work just fine... I have a Renthal (high end of price range) about $20 if I remember correctly... Less expensive sprockets are as cheap as $10

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters

post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
It does, but that's just getting used to more low end power and torque. One thing: They don't make a 13t listed for the 700xx, BUT the sprockets listed for a TRX450 are the same and work just fine... I have a Renthal (high end of price range) about $20 if I remember correctly... Less expensive sprockets are as cheap as $10

roadkill
thanks !!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

gearing

Quote:
thanks !!
did the front sprocket change yesterday(13 tooth) rode around the block a couple times, seemed great. wondering why , if these 700 engines are so torquey, why you can kill them so easy w/ stock gearing. also wrapped the head pipe w/ header wrap left over from hotrod, had shorts on. definetily helped !
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm running 13t in front and still have more top end then my buddy with his 450
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

top end

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldontoews96 View Post
I'm running 13t in front and still have more top end then my buddy with his 450
my son has a 450 quadracer, will probably get around to checking their top end against each other before the summer is over. we ran them about 30-35 yards in sand last time we rode, I got him out of the hole, but he reeled me in before we ran out of room.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
did the front sprocket change yesterday(13 tooth) rode around the block a couple times, seemed great. wondering why , if these 700 engines are so torquey, why you can kill them so easy w/ stock gearing. also wrapped the head pipe w/ header wrap left over from hotrod, had shorts on. definetily helped !
I have tried to research the flywheel weight in comparison to a Raptor 700 but I can't find any information. I believe the easy stalling is contributed to a light flywheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode