User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Newbie questions

Hi all! I am currently looking to purchase a 700xx, here in Oregon/Washington you don't see many for sale, but there are a few.

My son wants me to purchase a 700 Raptor, but I really like the IRS, because (1) I'm old (2) I have had two back surgeries and (3) we ride a lot in the high desert here in Oregon and the added ground clearance will help.

I'm not worried about the sway bar issue, I will make a new one (40 years in the metal trades), but is there anything else I should be cautious of? I have spent the last week lurking here trying to learn what you already know.

I have one 13 YO son the rides a YZF450, one 10 YO son that rides a Raptor 250 and my wife rides a DS 650 X which I bought for here new in 06.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Both the Raptor 700 and the TRX700XX are fine machines. Having spent time on both, I feel the Raptor is a better machine for the track and a slight edge on the dunes. This is not to say that the TRX is not a good duner, because it most definitely is. As far as trail riding, I don't think there are many quads better than the TRX700XX. Most people give a somewhat questionable opinion based on the machine that they own with little or no experience on any other quad. How can you possible give accurate feedback if you haven't ridden many different machines. I have ridden most of the of SPORT quads, with exception of the KTMs and Polaris models, and this Honda is on my top 3 list. It is geared high so a 13 tooth CS sprocket is a good mod. And as you already know, an aftermarket sway bar is also a good upgrade.
Tunnel_Vision likes this.

TRX700XX
KFX700
TRX250EX
85 ATC250R
post #3 of 28 Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for they reply, exactly what I'm looking for. Are replacement parts still readily available? Anything I should lookout for that's not obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the club

Replacement parts are still available, some you do have to wait on though. There is no where near the aftermarket parts like you can find for a 450r or the 700r. Check the inboard joint issue when looking at used 700xx...

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, one more thing, I know NEW they sold for $8k+/-, an 08 around here is selling for $3500 to $4500, does that sound about right? NADA says around $3300.

Are the 09 models rare? the reason I say that I have never seen one for sale in the last few weeks that I have been looking.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
Welcome to the club

Replacement parts are still available, some you do have to wait on though. There is no where near the aftermarket parts like you can find for a 450r or the 700r. Check the inboard joint issue when looking at used 700xx...

Inboard axle joint? what seemed to be the problem there? Any particular side?
post #7 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's the "inboard joint issue" thread.

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/8-motor-...e-removal.html

I just serviced mine a couple weeks ago. The biggest challenge is getting the axle out if it has rusted and seized. I went at it for at least an hour and it didn't budge. But shortly after that I was able to use a pry bar and wedge it in the gap and hit it with a dead blow hammer. It finally separated - I think it was the kroil that had finally worked itself in. Luckily all the teeth were still in good shape so it hit it with rust remover and greased it up. Put it all back together and sealed the joint with silicone.

As said the 13t tooth is a good, cheap mod. I would stall the quad a lot with the stock 14t in the really tight stuff, really frustrating, but the 13t helps quite a bit. If you are in wide open desert you might be good with the 14t.

Upgraded Sway Bar and the Teixeira upper A-arms are a good combo to improve the handling. 700xx has some push/understeer in stock form.

I bought my quad w/ big 3 a couple years ago for $3500. I talked the seller down a few hundred to get closer to blue book.

The ground clearance,the comfort and traction of IRS are big pluses for this quad. My banshee and raptor hit crap all the time because of the lower clearance. I haven't had surgery but my back is not good and it has not been aggravated on this quad. Wish I could say the same for my bad shoulder :cry

Last edited by CosmicG; 04-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Look for general wear and tear with any used quad... to see if the previous owner beat the crap outta it. A 13t front sprocket is a must (imo) for trail use. The IRS is great for trails... not so for track... a solid axel quad will power slide turns, the IRS won't. High desert in Oregon? Haven't had the pleasure of that yet. I'm old as well (67) and the 700xx suits me very well... I like to go fast. I raced the SORRA XC series for several years, so not dead yet. BTW there isn't a raptor I can't beat in the woods.

Things I've done to my 700xx
DG V-Pro front bumper
Elka shocks
PRM side bars
CCP steering stabilzer
DWT wheels
Maxis tires
13t
EHS/BARKER big 3

If that sounds like it cost alot of money... yes, but worth it imo

"Upgraded Sway Bar and the Teixeira upper A-arms are a good combo to improve the handling. 700xx has some push/understeer in stock form."
I have to agree with that... The 700xx has quite a bit of body roll and push stock. That is partially due to the IRS and the stock shocks.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #9 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel_Vision View Post
Inboard axle joint? what seemed to be the problem there? Any particular side?
They wear out if not maintained, and Honda failed to mention anything in the manual as far as maintenance goes. Just grab the right axle near the brake rotor and see if you can shake it. If there's play in it, the joints should be replaced. And this means complete rear end dissemble and around $3 to $400 in parts! So if there's play, you can use this info to talk the seller down $500 or so. If no play and you buy it, just make sure to remove right side and grease it up asap! I figured it sounds like you know the basic stuff to look at, on a used quad.

As far as the 09 model, as far as I know they were a special edition black out model. Everything else is the same. They have black wheels and ghost graphics on the tank. Pretty cool looking machines. As far as a 13th front sprocket, imo the quad should of shipped with one instead of the 14th. Now if the quad has any work to motor done to it you wont need a 13th. Some say simply by adding the big 3, you can go back to the 14th, but again a lot of this depends on the type of riding you do and the terrain.

As far as price goes, I bought my 08 off the floor new in 2010 for under 5k. And just picked up a 2nd one last summer. It has ton of motor mods, big 3 w/Barkers exhaust ehs programmer and full vented lid, w/ Uni filter, and the L8ton mods, for $2500. It was listed on here for 6 months, no one would buy it so I did. I have no need in 2, but I'm glad to have it!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

Last edited by M_Quick; 04-19-2016 at 03:23 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
They wear out if not maintained, and Honda failed to mention anything in the manual as far as maintenance goes. Just grab the right axle near the brake rotor and see if you can shake it. If there's play in it, the joints should be replaced. And this means complete rear end dissemble and around $3 to $400 in parts! So if there's play, you can use this info to talk the seller down $500 or so. If no play and you buy it, just make sure to remove right side and grease it up asap! I figured it sounds like you know the basic stuff to look at, on a used quad.

As far as the 09 model, as far as I know they were a special edition black out model. Everything else is the same. They have black wheels and ghost graphics on the tank. Pretty cool looking machines. As far as a 13th front sprocket, imo the quad should of shipped with one instead of the 14th. Now if the quad has any work to motor done to it you wont need a 13th. Some say simply by adding the big 3, you can go back to the 14th, but again a lot of this depends on the type of riding you do and the terrain.

As far as price goes, I bought my 08 off the floor new in 2010 for under 5k. And just picked up a 2nd one last summer. It has ton of motor mods, big 3 w/Barkers exhaust ehs programmer and full vented lid, w/ Uni filter, and the L8ton mods, for $2500. It was listed on here for 6 months, no one would buy it so I did. I have no need in 2, but I'm glad to have it!

Thank you for all of the info, I found a 08 black/gray for $4500 obo, full HMF exhaust, tuner, air box, paddles and wheels, razor backs (front )and wheels, nerf bars, bumper, foot peg extensions, skid plates with 50 hours on it.

Or a 2008 black/red all stock for $3300 firm.

The black one has more goodies but he may have ran the crap out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode