Kids and quads (opinion) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Kids and quads (opinion)

I believe that a quad's capability should always exceed the rider's skill level. This will give the rider's skill room to grow and not be held back because of the limits of the quad. That said... skill and age are NOT the same thing and therefore when a kid is ready for a larger quad (mo' power) should not be dependent on age. Some states may have laws regarding at what age a kid can ride a full size quad, California doesn't. California does have a law about being able to reach all controls... being able to use the clutch in a full right turn and so forth... A tall 14yo may be able to ride a full size quad, but a short 16yo may be screwed. A kid's time riding does not necessarily equate to skill... A kid riding for 2 years just putting around on the farm will not get the same experience as another kid riding for 2 years doing MX. My 2 nieces 10yo and 15yo currently ride a 250ex and a 450r... to keep up with dad... their pictures are in my garage pics. I think that most states reguire some kind of safety certificate for riders under 18, but as far as I'm concerned... the sticker on your quad about riders under 16 and what it says in the manual don't really mean shit.
JMO.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could not agree with you more roadkill. Did not know about the law in Cali, sounds pretty well thought up and one can actually change or setup the controls for the kids to reach them and ride safely and comfortably.

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is Iņigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!
post #3 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
my first quad was the recon 250 i got it when i was 5 and even then id be going 45mph on that thing... and i got the pos sportsman 700 at 7 then aroud 10 i started to drive my ferids (who was 15) raptor 660. and when he got the 700 i drove that to.... ow i have the xx.... im 15 now and alotof ppl say that quads to powerful for me....meanwhile ther fippig there quad over 3 times in one day.... i have only fiped 2 times on my recon 1st time was a trail that was on a bad angle and 2nd time i runing on a flat and turned to fast but 3 years sins my last flip so......

post #4 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM

my 3 year old rides a bike rated for a 16 year old, 110 motor. and will do 35 with the throlle stop out and my fatass on it.he handles it alot better than i ever expected and is getting pretty good at drifting it and trail riding on small elevation changes.

i think its about the rider, i started riding streetbikes on a 1000cc bike, was told i needed a 600, now im one of the faster guys in my group only after 2 years of riding, people learn at different rates, my friend started riding a 600 shortly after me and i will lap him about 3-4 times in a track session.

people who are willing to take risks for the sake of learning will accel faster than the careful ones.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #5 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

I like you answer simplyorange that is a problem i am having i want a cbr1000 to grow in to i guess but friends have been telling me to get a 600. i dont want to "out grow something that cost that much. and as above also i think it is totally on the rider not age the 700 is my first sport bike and i still want more power.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #6 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
I like you answer simplyorange that is a problem i am having i want a cbr1000 to grow in to i guess but friends have been telling me to get a 600. i dont want to "out grow something that cost that much. and as above also i think it is totally on the rider not age the 700 is my first sport bike and i still want more power.
id like a quad with more power i wana se a trx1000xx
post #7 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700xxmaniac View Post
id like a quad with more power i wana se a trx1000xx
that wil do nicely!

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #8 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
it depends on rider and bike, it will take forever for you to max out a 600 to its full potential in a curve, 1000 are harder to handle(depending on the bike) i have found my gsxr1000 handles just like my cbr 600.. my first bike was a 2006 cbr1000, it handled like shit and had torque for days, i totaled it when i flipped it over backwards one day @ 55mph. i think you will be fine starting on a 1000 if you have self control and respect it, it will get you in trouble quicker.but in my opinion anything smaller is inadequate for street riding.the 08 and newer hondas are awesome

referring back to how fast i learned(not tooting my horn) after my 5th track day i grudge raced a 10 year veteran on his modded r1 for 3 laps, he finished about a bike to 2 bikes in front of me.but i have been on my gixxer since my first track day and im always chasing somebody faster to build my skills.

dont let this be you...

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)

Last edited by Simplyorange; 01-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #10 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM

[quote=Simplyorange;25846] i think you will be fine starting on a 1000 if you have self control and respect it, it will get you in trouble quicker.but in my opinion anything smaller is inadequate for street riding.the 08 and newer hondas are awesome

wow...what do you do on the street that you need that much power? I felt that my SV was all I'd ever need on the street. It could get frustrating on the track because of the screamer/parkers on liter bikes though lol. I really think that we should look into a tiered license system like in japan for motorcycles where you have to prove yourself on progressively bigger machines.

As far as atv's go, I feel that it should be up to the parent's discretion. Hopefully as parent's they are responsible enough to judge their own kid's ability. As long as they have the proper gear let 'em at it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode