Think a hybred car is worth the money? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Think a hybred car is worth the money?

I have news for you... it will probably take longer to offset the higher cost of the car in gas saving than you'll probably have the car. Link below...
Click on the .pdf file on the page... would've attached it but file is 1.2mb

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2...uicker_wi.html

Can't wait to shove this one down the throat of the nearest green freak.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
I believe the ideal is just to save the environment, Not really to save gas money. While on the subject though. I believe ethanol requirements will be a black eye for environmentalist.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to dagirl71
I work for a dealership what causes me to turn away from hybrids is there are no real crash tests proving that someone can not be electrocuted by the battery. We have special gloves for the mechanics to work on them and hooks to pull them off just incase, firemen are suppose to have them on their trucks a well... now imagine your in an accident, jaws of life must be used, the power is suppose to shut off and they don't have proper gear to touch a hybrid, would you expect them to still try and get you out or wait for proper gloves... I know that there has not been any reported and the battery shuts off on impact but hey Toyota was one of the safest cars until to many killed or almost killed too many people and caused a recall! It takes a lot for a car company to have a recall verses a TSB to correct the problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Da Girl
Quit your whining get out and ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you strive to be like someone all you end up being is a good copy of a great original!!!Be your own GREAT ORIGINAL!!!

post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to dagirl71
[quote=smo0oth1;27474]I believe the ideal is just to save the environment, Not really to save gas money.

If we really cared so much we would all recycle and use sustainable fibers & products. It makes crazy to think how dumb we were thinking we could build a reef of old tires and expect it to work!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Da Girl
Quit your whining get out and ride

When you strive to be like someone all you end up being is a good copy of a great original!!!Be your own GREAT ORIGINAL!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM

I bought a new Civic Hybrid in May of 07 and it has been a great car, smooth and quiet with excellent fuel economy. With basic hyper mileage technics I have achieved over 75 MPG (Imperial gallon). I received 2K federal and 2K provincial rebate when I bought it so I recovered its cost long ago and I intend to drive until the wheels fall off. I receive a fixed phone/car allowance of 1700 per month and what I don't spend I pocket so it's been a profitable car for me. With the drop in the price of oil exploration has all but stopped and the Chinese are now or soon will be buying more cars than Americans so the long term price for oil is going to much higher, so if I do sell the hybrid it will be to buy the Chevy Volt. The fact that it's a domestic is a bonus.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
If you do wreck the hybrid do NOT cut the orange wire or you're going to ride the lightning! Most efficient car I've ever owned was a manual 97' civic dx hatch. No options, 38mpg, 3 quarts for a oil change. Just awesome, now I have a pig ford f150. super reliable though!

post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If a person is really trying to do their part in saving the environment, I think they should look at the WHOLE picture with a hybrid. A hybrid's gas mileage and emissions are not the only thing to take a look at. The extra components in a hybrid also take more manufacturing and have emissions associated with making these extra parts. Example: They have 2 power plants... electric motor and gas engine. But for this, I'll just take one component... the high tech batteries and their manufacture and I'll use the batteries for the Toyota Prius...
Step #1... The nickel is mined in Sudbury, Ontario.
Step #2... The nickel ore is sent to Wales to be refined.
Step #3... The refined nickel is set to China to be made into nickel foam.
Step #4... The nickel foam is sent to Japan to be made into the battery.
Step #5... The batteries are sent to Toyota's assembly plants... some in the U.S.
Thus, the material for the battery has gone 90% around the world before it even gets into a car. Step #3 is what is a really big concern to me... China does not have the best environmental record nor any real pollution laws... So why does Toyota have this step done in China?? Answer... Cost. Without pollution laws, this step can be done cheaper in China than in other countries... at the cost of the global environment. So if Toyota tries to say they are a green company and that by driving their Prius you are helping to save the environment... it's just more auto industry BS they are trying to shove up our asses.

An alternative to the Prius might be the Jetta TDI. Gets quite good millage and is 40%-50% more efficient than gas. No extra heavy components that require extra manufacturing. Environmental impact is very very low when you consider the whole picture... manufacturing and on the road greenness.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
If a person is really trying to do their part in saving the environment, I think they should look at the WHOLE picture with a hybrid. A hybrid's gas mileage and emissions are not the only thing to take a look at. The extra components in a hybrid also take more manufacturing and have emissions associated with making these extra parts. Example: They have 2 power plants... electric motor and gas engine. But for this, I'll just take one component... the high tech batteries and their manufacture and I'll use the batteries for the Toyota Prius...
Step #1... The nickel is mined in Sudbury, Ontario.
Step #2... The nickel ore is sent to Wales to be refined.
Step #3... The refined nickel is set to China to be made into nickel foam.
Step #4... The nickel foam is sent to Japan to be made into the battery.
Step #5... The batteries are sent to Toyota's assembly plants... some in the U.S.
Thus, the material for the battery has gone 90% around the world before it even gets into a car. Step #3 is what is a really big concern to me... China does not have the best environmental record nor any real pollution laws... So why does Toyota have this step done in China?? Answer... Cost. Without pollution laws, this step can be done cheaper in China than in other countries... at the cost of the global environment. So if Toyota tries to say they are a green company and that by driving their Prius you are helping to save the environment... it's just more auto industry BS they are trying to shove up our asses.

An alternative to the Prius might be the Jetta TDI. Gets quite good millage and is 40%-50% more efficient than gas. No extra heavy components that require extra manufacturing. Environmental impact is very very low when you consider the whole picture... manufacturing and on the road greenness.

roadkill
That is REALLY good info, in a couple of my college level weather and air quality classes, we discussed this very topic, when you add the carbon footprint of building the batteries and the electric motor, a Hummer H1 or H2 is more environmentally friendly than a Prius. That is for the exact reason stated above, most of the components go around the world, whether by truck or boat, and also the materials used in the battery and motor, are called rare earth materials, and they require huge amounts of machinery to get, and then a great deal of chemicals to refine.
Jason

2008 TRX700XX Black/Red
Mods:
Trail Tech Vapor with Riser
Pro Taper Contour mid-bend ATV bars
ODI Rogue Grips
FX Hot Start lever on the bars for Reverse Lever with a custom cable made with a bicycle cable
Pro Armour FatPeg Nerfs
Pro Armour Bullhorn front bumper
PRM rear grab bar
PRM .190 full skid plate
Pro Design K&N Intake
EHS Fuel programmer
EHS/Barker Full Exhaust, Blacked out
22" Razr2 fronts
22" Razr rears
DS450 front reservoir shocks
L8ton 11/16 Sway bar
post #9 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM

roadkill, thats what ive told every person ive known to say "i want a hybrid"...

your fuel savings will be around $.03 for every mile you drive at $3.00/gallon (compared to a regular gasoline engine getting 30-35mpg). if you paid an extra $10,000 to get a hyrbid over a standard sub-compact, that means you only need to drive it for 333,333 miles to make up for the extra cost! and that doesnt include a new set of batteries youll need. even if you save $.05 every mile, youll still need to do 200k miles to make up for just the purchase price alone!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Is a hybrid worth the money...NOPE. It will take six years of driving at 3.00 dollars a gallon to offset the extra price of the car alone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode