Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

To buy or not to buy a 700XX

7K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  rolltide05 
#1 ·
Here's the deal......

I've been mildly interested in the 700XX ever since they came out. I ride trails in the hills of southern KY which consist of a variety of conditions including hard pack, muddy, sandy, rocky, smooth as a highway and everything in between those conditions. I ride an '05 450R with stock tires for these rides and am very pleased with the performance. It also has the HRC kit. My favorite part of the 450R is how it climbs hills around here. I'm 6'3" and around 240lbs and this thing climbs like a billy goat for me. I love the stability and the way I can man handle it when need be.

Last week, a work associate that trail rides as well called me and told me of a place that has the leftover '08 700XX's for $4285. Since I haven't been looking for a new quad, I had no idea a brand new ones are going that cheap.

Long story short, a guy has agreed to buy my 450R if I choose to sell it.

Questions:

Does the 08 have any issues to worry about?

How will it fit a guy my size?

How much different will it be on the trails?

And probably my biggest concern.....how is it climbing hills and how stable is it coming over after you've climbed a knarly hill?

All of this is of course compared to an HRC kit equipped 450R with a 13 tooth sprocket with stock tires.

TIA.

See less See more
#2 ·
buy!... no issues whatsoever... i'm 6'3'', and on the heavier side, and it's perfect... i think it would perform even better on the trails simply because of the IRS... you will definitely not have any problems climbing hills with this bad boy.. best quad i've ever ridden; you will not be dissapointed!

#4 ·
hills are no problen with the xx, and it handles great once u get used to it...also dont shift the xx like the 450..

#6 ·
Here's the deal......

I've been mildly interested in the 700XX ever since they came out. I ride trails in the hills of southern KY which consist of a variety of conditions including hard pack, muddy, sandy, rocky, smooth as a highway and everything in between those conditions. I ride an '05 450R with stock tires for these rides and am very pleased with the performance. It also has the HRC kit. My favorite part of the 450R is how it climbs hills around here. I'm 6'3" and around 240lbs and this thing climbs like a billy goat for me. I love the stability and the way I can man handle it when need be.

Last week, a work associate that trail rides as well called me and told me of a place that has the leftover '08 700XX's for $4285. Since I haven't been looking for a new quad, I had no idea a brand new ones are going that cheap.

Long story short, a guy has agreed to buy my 450R if I choose to sell it.

Questions:

Does the 08 have any issues to worry about?
No

How will it fit a guy my size?
The XX will sit you better than the 450

How much different will it be on the trails?
Handles and rides much better, Slight front end push with stock tires

And probably my biggest concern.....how is it climbing hills and how stable is it coming over after you've climbed a knarly hill?
It's just as stable as any other quad

All of this is of course compared to an HRC kit equipped 450R with a 13 tooth sprocket with stock tires.

TIA.
Damian

#7 ·
BUY IT!! I'm 6'0 and 250lbs and this thing has NO problems hauling my butt around, up hills, or drag racing Raptor 700's and winning! You will not regret it one bit.

#8 ·
I was in the same boat with selling my 400ex, I loved that bike handled great and ultra reliable... long story short the 400 is gone and the 700xx is in the garage and haven't looked back. the XX rides great has TONS of torque for anything hills are not even an issue. Fuel injection makes for easy starting and crisp throttle response and I am happy to have reverse as well, something my 400 didn't have. last and defiantly not least the IRS supension give great ground clearance and smooth ride.. I say if you have buyer for your 450 sell it ! and go get that 700 :)

#10 ·
All of the above^^^^^. It is an EPIC machine.:hey:

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The guy came last night to look at the 450R and ended up taking it. Sooooo......I guess a 700XX will be gracing my garage in the very near future.:D

How is the stock gearing for the trails? I tend not to crawl over things and will ride it much like I did the 450R, meaning I don't mind feathering the clutch now and then. Or, should I just go ahead and order a 13tooth right now?

#13 ·
13t, the ground clearance was not mentioned, you gain more with the xx, and itll go through deep mud much better than the 450r because of the irs.and its much smoother at high speeds on rough terrain.

#14 ·
i dont find a need for the 13t.....ride it with the stock then if u feel u need it put it on

#17 ·
CNC guy,
Just as a precaution remove the fuel shut off plastic knob and put a small drop of blue Loctite on the threads of the screw. Index the knob properly (can only go on one way if you turn it until it falls into the index position) and tighten the screw down. Doesn't have to be "strong-armed" the Loctite will keep it in place.
Sid

#18 ·
to buy or not buy

I absolutely love my 700xx and it should be a great trail bike for you if you do the 13t mod because its geared pretty hi in stock form if you ride tight trails . In open fields or any wide open spaces i like the stock gearing and you can always switch the sprocket when needed . However , Its got plenty of power for a stock bike and it has a lot more potential with mods . It will be different when you go around curves etc or if you try riding it on a track .. because the 450r is lower to the ground and is a solid axle but once you get the hang of it you should be happy with the IRS i think . It sounds like you will be riding on trails mostly so it should be a good fit for you . GOOD LUCK

#21 ·
So far, all I've done is ride it in reverse off the truck and into the basement. I do love how it sits though. I don't feel cramped like I did on the 450R. It's going to take some getting used to though.....I've never had electric start and reverse on a sport quad before. That's a good thing to get used to though.

I do have one question....I have a stand that I sit my quad on so I can maneuver it around the basement. I sat this quad on the stand and started checking it over for loose bolts, properly routed hoses and wires and such. I noticed some free play (rotation wise) in the rear wheels when the parking brake is locked solid. The tire rotates 3/8 to 1/2 inch back and forth before the sprocket moves.

I'm assuming this is because of the way the quad is designed. Am I correct in that? If so, does this cause a "rattley" feeling out on the trails or is the quad nice and tight?

#23 · (Edited)
Things you might want to check before riding.

Check the front wheels for having shipping washer's between the wheel and the hub this seems to be somewhat common. There should be no washers on your stock wheels anywhere.
Also remove the screw for the fuel valve and reinstall it with blue medium strength loctite. Several people have lost the valve knob as it fell off. Mine was loose.
Tighten the allen head bolts on the exhaust heat shield, they will most likely be loose. Check them again after you get it hot.

Check the clutch free play we had one member loose a clutch because he received it from the dealer with a mis-adjusted clutch.

If you search this site you can download a factory manual for specs.

Riding mine I have never noticed the drive slack.

Have Fun! :D

#24 ·
So, I got this thing out last night for it's inaugural trip around the neighborhood. Wow!

I love how it sits and the feel of it. The power is very smooth and there is plenty of it. I'm not worried about the body roll I've read about....I think I'll get used to the quad very quick. I wasn't ready for the squatting of the rear end when I really got on it though. It sort of reminds me of a Can-Am 800 I rode last summer.

#26 ·
It's hard to say after only a quick little trip around the subdivision. Initially I'd say I had to work to keep the 450R in it's prime power range for my kind of riding in my kind of trail conditions. With the 700XX, I don't think I'll have to work as hard. Also, there were times when hill climbing I would bog the 450 down really bad if it was hooking up really well and the hill was steep. The 700XX seems to have the kind of power (torque) that hill climbing and bogging down won't be an issue. I will say that I've had no second thoughts about selling the 450R and buying the 700XX.

#27 ·
to buy or not buy a 700xx

I came from riding sport bikes all my life and i really like the comfort of the 700xx compared to the sport bikes i have ridden and i am 6ft - 1 and weigh 195lbs so its a good size bike for me . I agree with you that the torque is good and in a straight line the bike is deceptively fast . I rode with some other people recently in Hatfield MCcoy and they had sport bikes and after a day of riding there were worn out but i still felt pretty good on my 700xx . Its not going to be as comfortable as a automatic 4x4 with irs in the long hall because the shifting can wear you out some but it does well for me and i still like the sport bike feel . I just need to work on getting the body roll down a little and make the bike take a corner a little better and if i ride tight trails use the 13tooth sprocket . I hope you like the bike and it sounds like it would be good for your needs .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.