The "end all" thread (for me anyway) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question The "end all" thread (for me anyway)

Hey fellas! And fellettes!

I need your honest, unbiased and experienced opinion. I know it's a 700XX forum, but I know I can get a straight answer. This thread will be the decision maker for me, as I have done a ton of research.

I was looking at a 2008 400ex or a 2008 trx450r for my first quad. The 700XX has now taken the place of the 450r.

We will be doing 90% trail/play riding on trails that will not see either machine's top speed. (except for maybe a couple of short stints) Hill climbing and mountain trails will be ridden, too. The other 10% will be mixed in jumps, nothing more than a small double/table and 2 to 3 foot speed brake style jumps. No MX racing, but possibly the local hare scrambles in the future. I don't care about "PWNING RAPTORS" on the drag strip, but we will drag for fun.

Specifics: Will the 400ex with an equally experienced rider keep up with the 700XX on all but the most wide open trails?? Is the 700XX just as reliable as the "bullet proof" EX? In videos I have watched, the 700XX seemed to "whip" the rear out when jumping. Is this something to worry about? Or is it just the rider? Can the 700XX be jumped straight? Is the 400EX way under powered compared to the 700XX? How about creeping ability? How much will I miss not being able to slide the rear out as easy as the 400EX?

I come from a dirtbike background and this will be my first quad.

I'm a larger guy and I have sat on them, They both feel good to me. the 700XX being more like a caddy.

Here's the kicker......... The 700XX is selling for $4099.00 and the 400EX for $4229.00 !!!! Am I crazy NOT to buy the 700XX???

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Yes, at that price you are completely insane if you don't buy the XX.
In fact, I still would pay original msrp if that is what they were selling for instead of buying the 400EX at nearly half the price. You are damn lucky if you are one of the guys that can get one for that price. I paid full msrp for mine when I bought it in March of 08'.

HMF Ballance QRS slip-on, HMF/Dobeck programmer, Velocity filter, EHS lid, Razr rear tires, 22" Razr 2 front tires, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs, Pro Armor XC bumper, Fasst Flex Bars, Trail Tech billet logo clamp, PRM a-arm skids.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED View Post
Hey fellas! And fellettes!

I need your honest, unbiased and experienced opinion. I know it's a 700XX forum, but I know I can get a straight answer. This thread will be the decision maker for me, as I have done a ton of research.

I was looking at a 2008 400ex or a 2008 trx450r for my first quad. The 700XX has now taken the place of the 450r.

We will be doing 90% trail/play riding on trails that will not see either machine's top speed. (except for maybe a couple of short stints) Hill climbing and mountain trails will be ridden, too. The other 10% will be mixed in jumps, nothing more than a small double/table and 2 to 3 foot speed brake style jumps. No MX racing, but possibly the local hare scrambles in the future. I don't care about "PWNING RAPTORS" on the drag strip, but we will drag for fun.

Specifics: Will the 400ex with an equally experienced rider keep up with the 700XX on all but the most wide open trails??

Oh Yes

Is the 700XX just as reliable as the "bullet proof" EX?

Yes again

In videos I have watched, the 700XX seemed to "whip" the rear out when jumping. Is this something to worry about? Or is it just the rider? Can the 700XX be jumped straight?

Most times it is the rider. I love to jump my 700xx and it can jump straight, done it many times.

Is the 400EX way under powered compared to the 700XX?

Yes again.

How about creeping ability?

Change the front sprocket to a 13t and enjoy.

How much will I miss not being able to slide the rear out as easy as the 400EX?

It can be done with a little practice .

I come from a dirtbike background and this will be my first quad.

I'm a larger guy and I have sat on them, They both feel good to me. the 700XX being more like a caddy.

Here's the kicker......... The 700XX is selling for $4099.00 and the 400EX for $4229.00 !!!! Am I crazy NOT to buy the 700XX???

Thanks!!!!!!!!
I own both a 450r and a 700xx , the 700xx is far better for trails and cross country.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
To me it is a no brainer, Get the XX.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq
post #5 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know it's a good deal, but I don't want to buy something JUST for the price. What about the issues I asked about. Does it swap the rear end when launching a jump?? Is reliability on par with the legendary 400EX motor?? Does it have good "creeping ability"?The 450r isn't even in the running anymore.

Thanks for the replies!
post #6 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Read reply #3

Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

post #7 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Baxter answered the questions in his quote!! I didn't even catch that!

Thanks again!
post #8 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Read reply #3
Got it, I am a little slow. Thanks baxter! I will read them right now.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 PM

By the way , I am trying XC,TT and MX this year on the 700xx. This is going to be sooo much fun !

Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

post #10 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would definetly get 700xx, the 400ex is out dated big time, it hasnt changed in ten years except for reverse and cosmetic upgrades. i used to have a 400ex, the 700xx is just as reliable ,the 700 has fuel injection, way better than the carburated 400, the suspension on the 700 is way better than the 400,the 700 is better for a bigger rider. and the price i woulnt pay more for 400 than an out dated 400.

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode