My boys first day riding...Ouch! He rolled it! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My boys first day riding...Ouch! He rolled it!

So I'm a total newb for off-roading. I also got my 7 1/2 year old son a 2003 Predator 90. It's a 2 stroke and does probably 20-25 mph. Well today we went out into the desert on a dirt road, very straight with some small bumps. Long story short. He got squirrely and over corrected at WOT and flipped sideways. Luckily 1/2 hour prior I got him a roost protector, real good knee/shin guards and some good gloves. All Fox racing gear. SAVED HIS ASS and mine. He really took a major spill at thirty mph with the quad onto a hard packed dirt road and besides scrapes on his abdomen and calf along with a few tears he's fine. The steering stem is bent and the plastic took some damage with a broken mount. He is fine though thanks to full protection. I'm actually online ordering him some boots, elbow pads and a neck roll now.
The one thing good, he's learned to respect the machine. Before he just didn't comprehend safe riding and riding ability. Now he doesn't want to go fast. I'm sure he will again but hopefully it will be when he has some experience and skill.
Now, not being a very religious man I'm not a big believer in miracles but on the way home I ended up by Wittman, Az. I basically had no idea where I was, then I made a wrong turn onto Jomax Rd and there before us was a sign. A true miraculous vision. The sign said Speedworld Off-road Park. A proffessional race track with several other tracks. Free admission for spectators. The first thing I did was walk up to three guys on bikes, introduced them to Jayden and told them the story. These great guys offered my son support and encouragement and then we sat back and watched the riders practice. It was the perfect medicine for my boy and put a great end to a trying day.

Last edited by markas214; 03-07-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
the pred 90 can only do 16,,,,, my ferind did the same thing with his blaster 200 but all he had on was a helmit
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700xxmaniac View Post
the pred 90 can only do 16,,,,, my ferind did the same thing with his blaster 200 but all he had on was a helmit
I guess as a dad it looked like 50. That eases my minded though. He only ways about 45 pounds and the guy I bought it from put an aftermarket module on it. It may be a little more than 16 but a 300 lb quad dumping onto a small boy can do a lot of damage even at 2mph let alone 16. It came down hard enough to bend the steering stem and I'm pretty strong and can't bend it back. I'm gonig to have to put it in a vice and hammer it.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 AM

Hey dad, good job on making a positive end to a potentially disappointing day for your son. When I get back home next month, I'm planning on picking-up a 90 for my son as well and look forward to him learning to ride. I'd like to avoid a day like you had, but if it does happen, I hope we end it on a good note.

2008 TRX700XX - gray & stock
2009 Rancher 420FPE
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 AM

its hard to see your kids get hurt, i think it hurts us more. my son was skateboaerdin in his swim shorts down a hill and lost it. never forget that one. there was more as the years went by. glad everything is well for you and your son......

hate typing- love riding
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 PM

First off I am also glad all is well with your son..

This reminds me of a day long ago when I came home from work with a Yamaha gt-80 mini cycle. My Dad & I went out to a track in the neighborhood where other guys had made a large oval track in a field that was apprx 1/4 mile long. My Dad told me to go first while he timed me & then he was going to show me how it was done..I forget what my time was, but I was haulin ass & I just knew I had him beat before he even got to go..well he took off going throu those gears until he was otta site & I couldn't hear the bike anymore. I was watchin that watch..as the time passed what I had done I was happy...Well then I realized after like 3 mins or so my Dad was still not back? So I went the opposite way around the track looking for him and I heard the bike running..There he was...laying on ground face bleeding & cussing to get all.. He had down shifted into 1st instead of up/? anyway long story short I had him on back seat with me as we rode home.. jumped in car & went to hospitall. The doctor asked him Carlton what in world happed to you? My Dad told him the story & the Doc laughed his @ss off.. Told him he had a mild concussion & busted lip & head ( from being thrown over the handlebars.)..as we were leaving the hospital the doctor told him...I bet you won't race the boy again will you..

It was a wild day , but one my Dad &I have laughed it many many times...

sort of like your day in reverse!!

"Old dogs don't die..they just can't cock their leg anymore."

Last edited by Shovelhead; 03-07-2010 at 02:53 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 PM

Great job, Dad!!!!!!!

He'll be a better person because of the way you handled the situation.

And +1 on more protective gear. Glad he's ok!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Markas, good job on letting your son learn on his own, and better job making sure he had on protective gear. Hopefully he will learn from this to always wear it even when you aren't around.

Shovelhead, your dad sounds a bit like mine. My dad constantly reminds me to be careful and everything, and then goes off how he used to create ruckus in his Mach 1. Well one day we were doing a family event, and I was home on leave, so I didn't want to go, but did anyway, and took my 600RR. Well on the way there, my dad though it would be funny to try and race me, and show me what his 351ci has to my 599cc, LOL. We were doing about 85 in a 55 when I saw a cop coming opposite way. As soon as he passed, I passed my dad and was gone. My dad ended up getting a ticket for 87 in a 55, LMAO. Just to try and beat me.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode