12t primary & a receiver hitch - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
12t primary & a receiver hitch

OK, so I'm quite mad. However, after half a century on terra firma I don't expect to see the top end on a 700xx anyway.

I realize that 12t should get me to granny low in first and I would have to be careful on the tongue weight due in part to the IRS w/receiver hitch.

I've seen pics of the hitch, yet it appears that it only uses two bolts in the top to bolt on to the xx.

Naturally, I can't find the link, but the price was around 38 clams.

I'm not completely off my rocker. I have no intentions of hooking up a three pnt hitch and running a middle buster or cultivator w/XX.

The low gears will come in handy in the scatters w/lots of trees and in pulling a tilt bed 4X8, ATV/lawnmower/small scoot trailer, w/15" tires.

I wouldn't think burning the clutch would be an issue after dropping two primary sprocket teeth.

I can pull the same trailer, carefully loaded w/bulky material, w/230cc two wheel Beartracker up a slight grade on dirt.

The thing w/tractors or any mechanical beast of burden is that it's all in the gears.

I know I could buy a larger utility in a 4X4, but not at the price they're asking for the 700XX.

The 700 has three times the motor and a good 50 lbs on the Tracker.

Footprint is about the same w/XX having a tad over 7" in width & 3" longer wheelbase.

Seriously gents, what say ye?
-------------
http://www.killeratv.com/TechandSpec...eartracker.htm

If the Tracker is rated for 728 lbs of towing capability then the XX should be at least 1000 lbs, w/judicial tongue weight, even incorporating a 520 chain as opposed to a shaft drive.

Last edited by samdasham; 03-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
If you must use the XX as a yard tractor get a two axle trailer to keep the weight off the rear.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense, yet I already have the aforementioned trailer and I'm particular about where I place my load; in order to keep a minimum on the tongue.

The little tracker is rated to haul 728 lbs, but we know you have to almost maintain a neutral load on the tongue.

Even when hauling concrete blocks using my small lawn tilt trailer, designed to be pulled by riding lawnmowers, I had to take care w/weight distribution and the load.

Those 16 X 6.5 X 8 turf tyres are only rated for 415 lbs @ 14 PSI.

Thirty-four X 48 X 15 bed was good for a row of blocks 4 wide running the length w/couple extra past the axle mixed w/few bricks.

There was plenty of room, but the tyres were already squatting a mite.

I understand that a straight axle will tolerate greater tongue weight w/much less vertical movement.

By design the IRS is going to squat more than a straight axle propped-up by two rubber tyres sharing the load.

I do believe that is the quality that makes it such a comfy ride.

Still, a 700XX that weighs over 500 lbs at the curb, designed to travel in the mid 70's straight out of the box and grab air on jumps, must have a fairly stiff suspension.

I'm not attempting to turn the XX into a utility ATV. Merely trying to add to it's versatility for my needs and riding style.

I don't need any more than 50-55 mph. So, I can gear down for slow roll riding in heavily wooded areas, w/o constantly grabbing the clutch, and an occasional trailer pull w/well balanced light loads.

I might skid some crossties, but I'm not likely to attempt skidding timber.

What is the top MPH in 1st & 2nd gear?

post #4 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM

It will be fine, the 12t will help with clutch slip not hurt it

Big Kidz Racing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
EHS Racing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barker's Performance

Houser Racing

On The Trail TV

West Virginia ATV Tours

Hinsen Clutch Components

KBC Helmets

Hiper Racing Wheels

Member:
Score International

Best in the Desert

VXCS Virginia cross Country Series
post #5 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Kewl deal. How hard is changing out the rear sprocket?

I want to go 12/40 and if that seems a tad much I could always change the front to a 13t.

I'm guesstamating the 12/40 combo would top out around 55 MPH.

First gear should be a super granny low & I'm wondering w/26 1/8% reduction where 2nd gear would be now in relation to the original gearing.
--------
26.125 is 26 1/8

5th gear basically becomes the original 4th gear.

So, whatever speed you top out at in 4th would be my top in 5th.

Last edited by samdasham; 03-07-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: correction
post #6 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
u still want some wight on the rear wheels to get more traction and one time i ad 1/5 ton of bricks on my trailer and my recon250 pulled it but i had to tie a 50ld bumb bell on the front to keep it from wheelien... so the xx should do it with the 12t but u will have a problem with the front wheels coming off the ground
post #7 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

A lot of power on a short wheelbase pulling a heavy load is a recipe for wheelies.

You can lighten the load or move it back, taking some weight off the tongue and wheels, to encourage some wheel spin in starting the pull.

If all as fails, as you suggested, adding weights to the front end will keep it down.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM

samdasham,
If you find the link for the hitch please post it!

Here is the part #56-0370.
Do a google search and you will find it.

Last edited by aschuck; 03-07-2010 at 09:55 PM.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-08-2010, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

http://www.evsproducts.com/atv2010/Pg86.shtml
quadboss 56-0370--Part # for 2008 trx700xx receiver hitch-XtremeLineProducts
TRAILER HITCH HON TRX700XX-1307 $32.49 10 lb./ea. $32.49
Subtotal: $32.49
Total before shipping and sales tax (if applicable): $32.49 --Backorder
Oddly enough they show/list a Rancher w/IRS hitch @ $79.99 and straight axle 2X4 @ $26.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=380189162105
1/4" steel, doesn't stock, subject to manufacturers availablity, no pic.

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Products...oductId=324416
35.52 and free ship in the lower 48 mate. However, no pic.
I'm funny, in that way, as I like to see a pic of the product.
You have to select from the drop down menu as the page opens on a Ricon listing.

The pic I thought I remembered showed a 2" squared receiver set in a roughly 30 degree mounting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=200432319650

1st hitch, 2nd row(Same sequence in the top link w/better pics). I can't say that's the one that fits the XX, but that's the pic I saw somewhere thinking it fit the 700.(As fate would have it that model fits the yammy grizzly 700 and goes for 79 clams. 56-0028)

So, one place is back ordered, one doesn't carry it, yet can order and one has it w/free shipping, but nobody at guadboss is putting a pic out of the XX mod.

Then there's this place and when I enter 56-0370 this pops up.

http://www.keenemotorsports.com/esho...ILER_HITCH.htm

In the top link this "56-0370" pic is listed as 56-0343 and fitting a 250 recon.

Someone other than quadboss might make a hitch as well.
--------------
http://www.heeters.com/atv-hitches.shtml

Doesn't list the 700, but they have a nice selection, including a universal IRS hitch, and would appear to be folks I'd wish to talk with about a receiver hitch for a IRS ATV.

Also shows a pic of the 56-0343 mounted on a straight axle.

Last edited by samdasham; 03-08-2010 at 07:09 AM.
post #10 of 36 Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
My friend's dad has a Honda 350 4stroke 3-wheeler that has one of those auto clutches so no clutch lever is required. We've been using it to move a trailer around the yard since the 80's and it still runs like a champ. He even used to haul us around on a 4 place snowmobile trailer during Holloween. I think you should be ok, I read on this site that you can auto clutch for around $600.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2811

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode