Just got a ticket for "dust" in the desert! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pissed Just got a ticket for "dust" in the desert!

So pissed! Went riding with a few friends, one of them was a newb, and was riding a motorcycle. We were riding along the railroad tracks trying to get to a really cool desert trail. Her bike kept stalling and for like 30 min she kept trying to start it and it would just die. Turned out she had the choke on! I was like, we need to get outta here since it was Union Pacific land and there was a worker about 20 feet away. Once she figured out the choke was on and we got under way, 2 orange motorcycles were about 100 feet in front of us parked. They were rangers, and they gave us tickets for "dust." I've lived here for over 20 years and have never got a ticket for riding. It is a $125 fine! Is there any way to get out of it? there was no signs for no OHV or anything, but there was railroad no tresspassing signs. The rangers were riding orange KTM 525's, with steering stalibilers. Should have ditched them!

What sucks is I don't have a truck or trailer to haul my 700 anywhere. I guess I can put a hitch on my WRX and get a mini fold up trailer or something...Urrgghhhh

Jamie

2008 700xx - 23" Razr2's, Razrs, Flexx bars, Trail Tech clamp, ODI grips, Quad Tech desert seat, EHS EFI, EHS Lid, Uni filter, 13t
2000 400ex - DMC Double Barrel, FCR Carb
1987 250r (rip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What you got a ticket for making "dust" or for tresspassing? If it's for Dust then next time just go slow enough to where you are not creating dust. Doubt seriously that you'll get out of paying the fine since they were rangers and it's best to stop with those guys, they can just take the bike away from you permanently.

Vegas does have a "dust" law but usually they don't enforce it, wrong place/time. Sorry Dude!

Supertrapp SL, Pro Design Filter, PCIII, PRM Baja Front Bumper, PRM 6 Pack Grab Bar, Ricochet A-Arm guards, 23" Front ITP Pro Series, Kenda Kutters XC on DWT Red Labels, Motion Pro Twist Throttle,Maier Plastics, Elkas Front Shocks (Preload)
post #3 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM

No Dust Law.....never heard of that before....

08 700xx....Turkey Bay Rider....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know they have one for construction zones.

Supertrapp SL, Pro Design Filter, PCIII, PRM Baja Front Bumper, PRM 6 Pack Grab Bar, Ricochet A-Arm guards, 23" Front ITP Pro Series, Kenda Kutters XC on DWT Red Labels, Motion Pro Twist Throttle,Maier Plastics, Elkas Front Shocks (Preload)
post #5 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yep, the entire Las Vegas Valley is closed to riding, due to it being a "dust containment" area. If you stand anywhere in Vegas, see the ring of mountains on all sides? You can not ride anywhere on the Vegas side of those mountains. (Except out by Apex/Nellis dunes.) This went into effect about 7 years or so ago. Doesn't matter if you were on your ATV or not, you could have been going down the same road in your truck and got the same ticket. (Don't you remember the "don't be a dusthole" commercials a few years ago that were all over Vegas TV?) I know people that have got the same ticket in their trucks.

When this first went into effect, BLM used to be at all the major riding areas in town (North end of Decatur used to be fun area.) and they would issue you a warning first. They would then take the plate # of your vehicle. If you were caught again they would then give you a ticket. I heard they quit issuing warnings a couple of years ago, now it is just a ticket.

Pretty sure if you are even going slow they will still give a ticket, they figure you will eventually make dust. I have never seen BLM on motorcycles, only trucks. I am guessing you were on the south side of town? I think alot of people still ride out there, bet BLM is stepping up enforcement.

Doubt you will find a way out of it. You are probably going to have to pay it.

Just as another warning, if you ever ride out in the Jean dry lake area, make sure you have a spark arrestor. Blm likes to hang out down there and issue tickets for no spark arrestor, same cost as the ticket you got.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ChadH67
IF it was me I would except the dust fine, If there were tresspassing signs u would much rather have the dust fine than the tresspass, I got a tresspass fine that was 750$ Would have loved to settle for 125
post #7 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ChadH67
I was on IP land when I got that one
post #8 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 AM

From experience of being "on the other side" of tickets (in general), I would recommend fighting it. I'm not sure of the judicial process in Nevada or in your particular jurisdiction, but often times with the right attitude, you may be able to settle the fine for either a warning or possibly a lower fine prior to court. The worst case should be you would still have to pay the fine you are currently facing. Good luck.

2008 TRX700XX - gray & stock
2009 Rancher 420FPE
post #9 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Never herd that one before. I would try to fight it. If it works you will be set. If it fails......you pay the fine and piss off a ranger. Just don't meet up with him again in the future. He might give you a ticket for breathing private air.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
post #10 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bergstrom View Post
Yep, the entire Las Vegas Valley is closed to riding, due to it being a "dust containment" area. If you stand anywhere in Vegas, see the ring of mountains on all sides? You can not ride anywhere on the Vegas side of those mountains. (Except out by Apex/Nellis dunes.) This went into effect about 7 years or so ago. Doesn't matter if you were on your ATV or not, you could have been going down the same road in your truck and got the same ticket. (Don't you remember the "don't be a dusthole" commercials a few years ago that were all over Vegas TV?) I know people that have got the same ticket in their trucks.

When this first went into effect, BLM used to be at all the major riding areas in town (North end of Decatur used to be fun area.) and they would issue you a warning first. They would then take the plate # of your vehicle. If you were caught again they would then give you a ticket. I heard they quit issuing warnings a couple of years ago, now it is just a ticket.

Pretty sure if you are even going slow they will still give a ticket, they figure you will eventually make dust. I have never seen BLM on motorcycles, only trucks. I am guessing you were on the south side of town? I think alot of people still ride out there, bet BLM is stepping up enforcement.

Doubt you will find a way out of it. You are probably going to have to pay it.

Just as another warning, if you ever ride out in the Jean dry lake area, make sure you have a spark arrestor. Blm likes to hang out down there and issue tickets for no spark arrestor, same cost as the ticket you got.

Doug

Yep I was on the south side, near mountains edge. Lots of good riding out there! At least I got to enjoy it for a few months before I got caught. I did know their were dust laws, just didn't realize they were for the whole valley. I thought I was safe I was so far out. I have a buddy who worked construction, and he said if they make dust it's an automatic $1000 fine. I guess I'm lucky?

I think I just need to mount a water tank behind the front bumper with some sprayers that shoot out about 5 feet in front of me. That will kill the dust, and the extra weight will get rid of the front end push... The feds can't say anything about that can they?

Yeah, just gonna bite the bullet and send them a check...sigh...

Jamie

2008 700xx - 23" Razr2's, Razrs, Flexx bars, Trail Tech clamp, ODI grips, Quad Tech desert seat, EHS EFI, EHS Lid, Uni filter, 13t
2000 400ex - DMC Double Barrel, FCR Carb
1987 250r (rip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode