Truck Advice - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Truck Advice

I`m in the market for a used truck. looking at Ford F250 years 01 thru 06. I would like deisel but I remember reading somewhere on this site that there are some crapy powerstrokes that should be avoided. Can anyone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if diesel, go with cummins. If gas, chevy.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a dodge now but they have crapy transmissions, 2 rebuilds in 10 years

post #4 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM

If you want a big truck... I like the dodge ram with the cummins!
post #5 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
if u got a f250 get it with the 7.3 powerstroke (best) cause the 6.0 powerstroke (crappy) sucks. ant get it with the 6 speed manual... dodge is smart to use cummins but the truck will rust to bits in 10 years after you have got a few rear diffs and trannys....hint hint
i want a 7.3 f250 but the closest diesel pump is bout 20 min away and if u put the right stuff on the 7.3 u can get 23-25 mpg highway.

Last edited by 700xxmaniac; 06-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.
post #6 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM

The 6.0 powerstrokes due to their design are more prone to injector problems than the 7.3. They are quiter and pack about the same punch as far as power in stock form however i would recommend the 7.3. By the way i am a chevy guy but the boss at work is a huge ford nut so i'm forced to learn lol
post #7 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
the problem with the 6.0 is that it was made in europe where diesel is very clean but in the us diesel is the dirtiest in the world so all the extra carbon from the sulfur caused problems with the auto adjusting turbo and the injectors.....plus just to replace a simple part like a push rod u gota take the whole engine apart.
post #8 of 44 Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to MNRidinDirty
My dad has had both 2500 Cummins Ram and currently the 2500 Chevy Duramax. He absolutely loves the Duramax. He pulls a 26" steel car hauler on the receiver with the rod or bobcat all the time, hardly knows its there, also a 29" 5th-wheel with same feel. He traded the ram for the chevy about 4 years ago since cummins are too expensive to work on and he didnt need a true medium duty deisel for his purpose.

Just some insight

1995 Yamaha YZ250 -Mine
2008 TRX700XX (B&S) -My girlfriend's
2007 Kazuma 80cc quad -My son's
post #9 of 44 Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
If you are looking at ford, then you have a few options. The 7.3L is the best powerstroke they ever made. If you can find one thats an early 2000's with not many miles on it, you will be doing great. The other diesel option in those years is the 6.0L. The first two production years of it sucked, but the 06's had significantly less problems. With a ford, both manual and automatic trannies are decent. i've done a lot of research on all these, I had a 7.3 for a while and loved it, but when I went overseas I couldn't see keeping it when someone else can use her.
I've also had a cummins, which IMO is pretty much the best diesel you can get, I had it in a FORD LOL. It was a HS project, and it was awesome. Only problem, dodge's tranny's suck, and if you put a juice box on them they have a tendency of the injector pump going. As far as Chevy's, well they are Chevy's LOL. I dont have anything bad to say about them really. All the trucks/companies have their problems. But do you need a diesel? What will you be hauling? And I see you are from PA, check these guys out. http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...countryent.com They are up towards scranton, off I-81 a little ways. They usually get some decent stuff in there, and they are pretty knowledgable if you have questions.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #10 of 44 Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Stay away from the 6.0 Fords!! 7.3's are tolerable if you just accept the fact that every now and then it will leave you stranded (no start) below 40 degrees F. Reason being either a relay or solenoid in the glow plug system or the glow plugs themselves. Fords automatics are just as prone to failures as Dodge/Chevy, they all have to be well taken care of (not abused) to hold up. I am Mopar all the way but there were a few Cummins blocks with in the '98 1/2 - 2000's to stay away from. If looking at one of these years Cummins, check on the left side of the engine under the high pressure pump for the number 53 to be stamped in the block. The 53 blocks were cast thin and are prone to cracking length wise along the block below the exhaust manifold. Cummins did send me a brand new engine for the cost of shipping even though I had 170,000 miles on my '99. If you are not brand loyal then it comes down to staying away from known problems and finding the best deal. Me, I like the 40% fewer moving parts of the inline 6 and cannot stomach the thought of a V-8 diesel under my hood.

Cummins19

Last edited by CUMMINS19; 06-02-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode