Need plumbing advice! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need plumbing advice!

I got a question for any plumbers or handymen/women. Can I use galvanized pipe in for my shower? I am trying to replace the shower faucet because it was old and leaking and I noticed there was galvanized pipe in the wall running to the shower? I thought it should have been copper but I'm clueless so I am trying to find out before I get it all buttoned up. Should I run copper, PVC, or is it ok to use the rusty galvanized pipe that was already there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would use copper if you can. I have never seen galvanized pipe used in the shower. I would assume its not correct. If you are not comfortable with soldering the copper pipes, you could always get the shark bite fittings in home depot or lowes. But if I were you, since you have it opened up already, I would change the pipes to copper. Better to be safe than sorry.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
post #3 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory trx View Post
I would use copper if you can. I have never seen galvanized pipe used in the shower. I would assume its not correct. If you are not comfortable with soldering the copper pipes, you could always get the shark bite fittings in home depot or lowes. But if I were you, since you have it opened up already, I would change the pipes to copper. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you are only wanting to replace the shower fixture itself... do that. Galvanized pipe was to code in old homes and is still OK to use. You save money only replacing what you need to. I run a facility that has 10 older homes and they all have galvanized pipe throughout. I only replace the galvanized IF there is build-up inside the pipe that restricts the flow or if the pipe is damaged in other ways.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #4 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks, parts of it are PVC and the other is galvanized? I've tried my hand at sweating copper lines before and it wasn't pretty! I noticed the pipe that the shower head connects to has threads on it? How would I connect a copper line to that? Same with the faucet?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Just find someone with a pex tool, get yourself some pex from lowes and some adapters, it's plastic, flexable and lasts forever, no fires, no leaks...nothing
post #6 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

What will I mount my shower head too? I'm working out of the access panel?
post #7 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I love sweating copper, I find it enjoyable, which I know is weird. But I would only replace what you need to unless money doesn't matter as much (also depending on how long the pipe is and everything).

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

It's just the pieces of pipe from the valve to the shower head(galvanized) and the piece from the valve to the part where the tub fills out of?(alsogalvanized) but thenpipe coming from under the house is PVC?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superswire View Post
Just find someone with a pex tool, get yourself some pex from lowes and some adapters, it's plastic, flexable and lasts forever, no fires, no leaks...nothing
+1
Pex makes a plumbers job so much easier, but for some reason they still charge the same for labor.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-N-BlackXX View Post
I got a question for any plumbers or handymen/women. Can I use galvanized pipe in for my shower? I am trying to replace the shower faucet because it was old and leaking and I noticed there was galvanized pipe in the wall running to the shower? I thought it should have been copper but I'm clueless so I am trying to find out before I get it all buttoned up. Should I run copper, PVC, or is it ok to use the rusty galvanized pipe that was already there?
if u use copper it may react to the galvanized. id use pvc or just replace the whole thing with copper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode