User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
400 EX Rider with a question about the XX

Help guys.
I ride an 07 400 ex. I am considering purchasing a 700xx, but not totally convinced I'll be satisfied . I love my ex, It's an awesome ride, but some of the trails down here in South Carolina are brutal on the skid plate.
My question is how does the XX compare to the 400 ex as far as jumping and riding wheelies. Thanks guys .Your feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

I've never had a 400 but... the XX to me is a tad nose heavy, but rides wheelies pretty good. If you're worried about the bottom of it, PRM makes a full skid for $199. I'm probably bout to pick up one for mine. I rode this weekend behind a LTZ400 Suzuki and I was on his ass pretty good. As far as power and straightline a 400 doesn't hold a straw to one of these. The IRS makes it handle like a vette on dirt. I love it. Also, the ground clearance is AWESOME! about 11" of clearance! Same as a grizzly or something along those lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #3 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 5WOP3. That certainly helps.
Anyone else? Come on guys help me make up my mind.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM

If your looking for alot more torque and power then youll love the XX. It's got alot more overall speed too.

Yes it has more ground clearance too for real rocky stuff but a solid rear axle quad will still outhandle it, its just that the XX will be a more comfortable ride and wont beat you up as bad.

I would call it more of a souped up caddy on the trails then a vette.

400ex is easier to maintain a wheelie and flies easier in the air since you can control it easier because of the lighter weight.

I love it tho for trailriding, im sure you would too.

Last edited by XC_XX; 12-24-2008 at 09:54 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to trailin'me
i dunno about the easier to maintain a wheelie or handling v. 400ex statement. I think both statements are relative to your riding style and ability to adapt.... ex. you dont drive a top fuel dragster the same as an indy car.

if you can keep the 700xx moving and learn how to use the throttle instead of braking it will out-perform most any 400/450 on the market in turning/cornering ...because while they are sliding you hook up and go.

Ill agree with the jumping part half-way ... again you jump it different ... you can hit jumps with waaaay more speed and not be so worried about casing the landings ...even landing off-camber and this sucks it up and says mmmm more.

Lastly ..whoops ... there is not a solid axle machine on the planet that can even come close to the xx ability to full-throttle across whoops ..even off camber while turning.

I've found it very very easy to keep a consistantly faster pace in 2nd or 3rd gear without very much work at all.. compared to the smaller kiddie feeling 400/450's ... mainly due to the enormous amount of torque and power....

the handling is very very dependent on the tires ... and once you put some 11inchers on the rear with some razr2's or razr's on the front ... youll fully enjoy and appreciate what this machine is capable of.
post #6 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Oh... and the XX has reverse a must have for trails IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #7 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
SC Rider- Riding wheelies I find is no different and actually a bit easier with the added torque. Jumps Are fine also and allot more comfortable on landings. The bike is well balanced and jumps/lands straight.

5W0P3- You may be sitting to forward or not gassing it enough on the jumps for it to feel nose heavy.

XC-XX- In my opinion there is no way a SA will out ride a IRS machine. It takes a different driving style to take advantage of the IRS and will become the thing to have once it is acknowledged and familiarized with the quad community. IRS grips the ground like glue!

TrailinMe, I Agree. It awesome to just power through all the trails in 2nd and 3rd gear, the power range is beautiful.

Last edited by smo0oth1; 12-24-2008 at 01:41 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Having gone from a 400EX to a 700xx, I can tell you it was way worth it. I sold my modded 400EX after getting left behind (so to speak) by my buddies with 700r's and 525XC's. I'm a big guy at 6'6" and 255 pounds (depending on how close it is to the Holidays) and the 700xx suites me a LOT better. I like the added power and ground clearance that it gives me.

Funny thing is that I was actually in the Honda shop for a 450r and wasn't even considering a 700xx. Once you get on a rutted out trail or land on a off-camber, or uneven landing you'll be sold. Also going down or up very technical trails that would force a SRA's bars into a tree or other obstacle.

I have had zero problems with mine in the 9 months that I have had my 700xx.

Here's a picture of both:

400EX (duh)

700xx:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 26 Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo0oth1 View Post

5W0P3- You may be sitting to forward or not gassing it enough on the jumps for it to feel nose heavy.
I PROMISE I ride to far foward, but its only so I can reach the handle bars. That black piece of plastic between the gas tank cap and the seat is now definitely wore.

post #10 of 26 Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

5wOP3 You must be short. I am also short . I am 5' 5" 155 lbs. Will this bike be to big.
Maybe I'll go to the dealer for a test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode