Rode an 04 YFZ today - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rode an 04 YFZ today

My buddy bought this absolutely mint 04 YFZ recently. He's ridden it a few times, but coming off his KFX700 it scares him a little. I was thoroughly impressed with the suspension. Wow... on the MX track we were on it sucked up everything including me borking it face first into a few doubles (landing short) without tossing me off. It needed to have a smaller sprocket installed up front as first was too short and second was too tall going into the switchbacks, but man....gobs of power. I ran down all the 700s at the track today in short order and the guy riding a Blaster was no problemo. If this thing had 6"-8" of ground clearance it would be perfect. 100+ pounds less than anything I've been looking at too!

Had one guy riding some older 4X4 get hurt pretty badly when one of the tie rods let loose midway through a big bermed switchback. Tire folded in and he got tossed...hard. No helmet or other gear....not smart. Wear all the gear all the time. ATGATT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 PM

450 is the way to go if I had it to do over again thats what I would've bought.

08 raptor 700
post #3 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
450 is the way to go if I had it to do over again thats what I would've bought.
Ya, well...the pitiful lack of ground clearance on the 450 is what's holding me back from buying one. Great if you're only using it on nice flat areas, but terrible in the woods.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a yfz450 for many years, and trust me you dont need flat level ground at all. lol I would even ride really rough trails with 18" rear mx tires, and still never had a problem. Ground clearance isnt as important as you might think.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I had a yfz450 for many years, and trust me you dont need flat level ground at all. lol I would even ride really rough trails with 18" rear mx tires, and still never had a problem. Ground clearance isnt as important as you might think.
Interesting perspective. In what part of the country do you live?

I took the YFZ onto the woods section of this guy's track and doing simple things like crossing a log just aren't in it's playbook. Can you get it to do it? Sure...is it a good choice for that type of riding? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong...but riding that and then riding the KFX was night and day in the woods. The KFX went through it all with little effort on my part.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Straight axle quads work on trails that are not rutted out or logs and rocks i have seen guys try some had luck others got thrown off or spent money for repairs or just got upset got off and helped there quad over the obstical.
Only thing i miss about my straight axle quads is how easy it was to spin the rear wheels around corners but i wouldnt go back just for that.

A buddy after riding some rough trails with me on his 700xx said he will never ride or own anything for trails again he said his back and body wasnt beat down and sore and he could go over everything. We found one drop off neither of us where willing todo because of no skid plates once i have skid plates i will go try it

Last edited by Captamer71; 08-28-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Iphone
post #7 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM

I have had 2 250r's (back in the early 90's) and a 400ex. I loved them all but nothing compares to my 700xx in the Mountains or open desert riding. After a 70 mile ride I can tell you I am a lot less sore then I was on the same ride on my straight axle bikes. To each his own but I love my bike!

Mountainmonkey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM

I fully agree Mountainmonkey!!! My buddies try to ride longer and they keep looking at me and they keep wondering why they are soo tired and im just chilling and im 20 years older
Im so happy i took a chance with IRS 5 years ago i would of thought it was a stupid because it was differnt but a vette was differnt also
post #9 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh I agree, the IRS will make your body last longer. My point was ground clearance only. Sure you may bash the skid plate more often, but it's not something that would stop you from finishing the ride. I loved my yfz in the woods...very quick and nimble, which also helped lessen fatigue because it was so light and manueverable.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM

The yfz's are good in the trails. Put some 22's on the rear and 23's on the front with some good skids and they'll go just about anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode