User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwh45 View Post
I have to disagree. If you read all the reviews by magazines and the people on here, it isn't a narrow focus ATV at all. It has capabilities to do everything just as it is, with the exception of MX, which most people don't do MX anyway. The reason they are selling so cheap is b/c Honda made a metric butt ton of these, along w/ the 450R and 400EX, and you can still get 08's at the dealers of all 3 machines. Honda didn't make a single 2010 model of any sport machine that they offer, and their 2011 lineup hasn't been announced yet. I have a few different machines, and if I want to go ride all day, I will hop on this. It goes thru mud others wont, is comfy as all hell, and it is a 700cc powerplant, so it would be hard to get bored with it. Granted, it has some flaws, like if you are going from a SRA to this, the turning blows, but you can adapt to it, or get an upgraded sway bar. The stock tires are junk, but that is the case w/ any new quad. The stock shocks suck as well, but same w/ almost any other stock machine. If I had to do it over again, I would buy this quad in a heartbeat. You see this machine win Baja, but not really anything else like GNCC due to the fact that the rulebook states clearly that in GNCC you can't have anything bigger than a 450, so if that were to change, I am quite sure you would see this in there.
i have to say i strongly agree with crwh45 here he nailed all the cons in my opinion as well as all the pros that we as a community know and love about her. i actually bought mine in dec 09 and i ot a 08xx and a 07 400ex for 8500 out the door. i have never looked back the only time i questioned my purchase was the week before my first 3 day ride on her. and that was only me wonderin if i went to big lol. and just to clear that up, i didnt. there is no 10s sport models at all to the best of my knowledge and i personally doubt the 11s will happen either atleast not the xx's.

2008 trx700xx
dg steel series nerf bars
13t renthal
3D powertip
razrs on her feet
~If it aint got a wing, you aint got a prayer... RIDE RED!!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 AM

crwh45... couldn't have said it better myself!!!! NOT A SINGLE REGRET
post #13 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm glad you all like your machine. I like mine too, but I'll stick to what I said. I've ridden/owned many quads and this one steers like a 4X4 on pavement. It's really a pig in that respect. I don't know what Honda did to the steering geometry to make it this bad, but try this test. Take any 3-4 quads and your XX. Roll them on a flat concrete surface in neutral then turn full lock and try to push them. The Honda will act like it has the brakes on while the others will continue to roll. Try a full lock turn under power in gravel with any other 4 quads then try it on the XX....see the difference? I'm guessing they wanted high speed stability so the low speed tight stuff had to suffer. I suspect it's caster and am going to investigate that.

I rode the KFX700 and the monster CanAm yesterday on the same trails. Even the CanAm as big as it is was easier to steer around in the twisties. The KFX was a dream comparatively.

I'm not condemning the XX, but to ignore this significant shortfall is silly. Honda made these cheaply (low grade suspension components, tires) when compared to other, similar units.

I keep hearing how Honda made a "metric ton" (tonne, actually... and it's the measure of the mass of one cubic metre of water at four degrees Celsius)
But I can't find any production numbers on these that could back that up. I think they just didn't sell well...just like nearly every other powersports toy in 2008 due to the significant issues with the economy at that time (remember the market fall, $4.50 gas, etc?)

Again...I'm not knocking this quad...I own one...I'm just pointing out that it has what I consider to be a significant flaw for most people's use. If you've never ridden a quad and this is your first you may be perfectly happy with it. Let your quad riding friends drive it and drive theirs and see how you feel about it then.

post #14 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
[QUOTE=av8r;60820]I'm glad you all like your machine. I like mine too, but I'll stick to what I said. I've ridden/owned many quads and this one steers like a 4X4 on pavement. It's really a pig in that respect. I don't know what Honda did to the steering geometry to make it this bad, but try this test. Take any 3-4 quads and your XX. Roll them on a flat concrete surface in neutral then turn full lock and try to push them. The Honda will act like it has the brakes on while the others will continue to roll. Try a full lock turn under power in gravel with any other 4 quads then try it on the XX....see the difference? I'm guessing they wanted high speed stability so the low speed tight stuff had to suffer. I suspect it's caster and am going to investigate that.

I rode the KFX700 and the monster CanAm yesterday on the same trails. Even the CanAm as big as it is was easier to steer around in the twisties. The KFX was a dream comparatively.

I'm not condemning the XX, but to ignore this significant shortfall is silly. Honda made these cheaply (low grade suspension components, tires) when compared to other, similar units.

I keep hearing how Honda made a "metric ton" (tonne, actually... and it's the measure of the mass of one cubic metre of water at four degrees Celsius)
But I can't find any production numbers on these that could back that up. I think they just didn't sell well...just like nearly every other powersports toy in 2008 due to the significant issues with the economy at that time (remember the market fall, $4.50 gas, etc?)
QUOTE]

Okay. You have a point on the steering issue you mentioned above. It is a bastard to move around very slowly. With that said, I have yet to encounter a corner I couldn't manage because of the steering. I have not had to do a K turn on the trail to make a corner. In no way am I concerned on how it turns around at 1-5mph, because the only time I am doing that is when I am loading and unloading. You are right about the caster/camber, look at Teixera Tech's forums, and they explain it there, also explain the bumpsteer with the machine. If you try to sit more forward on the machine, to put more weight towards the front, try turning it like that.

I like how you compare it to the other two machines you rode. I really don't think anyone has had the opportunity to do this that much. I have rode both the other machines on more than one occassion. The only thing I see the KFX beating this machine in is turning, but everything else I will adore the Honda with, (such as the comfiness of it, the ability to go thru mud pits and just ride over all the ruts your heart can handle) and I have learned how to turn the XX like it is more of a SRA machine. Now the Can Am is a bit different, considering it is 4x4 and it has more weight on the front to help with turning, but I found the it to really get your arms tired pretty easily, mostly just from the sheer power of it while trying to accelerate and everything. Sure, if you punch any of these machines while trying to turn the front comes up easily and the ability to turn is a lot less.

You are correct on the metric Tonne definition. Honda also doesn't normally release production numbers, but the point I was getting at is that there were a LOT more made than sold, just as there was with every other quad. Which is why I stated you can find all sorts of new 2008/2009 quads in dealerships still that are cheap. My buddy just got a '08 450R for $4,200 OTD, brand new. They still had it in the box in the back of the property. They still had two left last week.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!

Last edited by crwh45; 09-12-2010 at 01:18 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM

I was going to buy a 450r or a raptor 700 before this bike. I'll tell you what changed my mind. I was on back of my buddys outlander 800 and in front of me was my other friends on a raptor 660 and yfz 450. We were going through an old rocky road at about 70 km/h and the raptor and the yfz had sparks flying off their brake discs from hitting the rocks.

Now this was one of the easiest paths in my riding area and I said to myself that looks horrible I'd hate to buy a new quad and have to either slow down to strategize my path of direction or just blow through it damaging my new quad. So I went to my honda dealer and looked the 700xx over and said that is the perfect machine for my needs and to this day I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

But the point of the story is, look at what your atving needs are and research the hell out of your options. Doing what your doing now may seem like a good idea but peoples opinions are just that and can be based off so many different factors that may or may not affect your riding area or style. Like I said it was perfect for me and my riding area/style but pick someone else in the world and it may not be there best option.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM

The Can Am I rode has power steering so no issue there.

I'm sitting on the tank as it is! I've always ridden everything siting way forward...just my style. I'm leaning out and forward on all turns just like with my REV chassis sleds. It helps for sure, but there is still an issue there. What seemed to help a lot for me was bumping the tire pressures up to 10 PSI in the front from 6 PSI. I may actually pump them up a little more as an experiment.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM

IMO honda built this thing to dominate baja. Thats the reason for the caster being the way it is and the reason for it being geared so high. Both are easy fixes though and can make this thing awesome in the woods.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM

I have had the 700xx for about 3 months and love the the bike!!!! I do not regret buying it one bit!! My trails are not the easiest for riders or the bikes. But i am so impressed with the 700xx have always loved honda for its durability! I have ridden a raptor 660 it powerful and fast but the 700xx is faster, more powerful, better handling, and independent suspension. So go ahead and buy a 700xx!!

ALL STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for now.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Just so you'll know, I took your advice and put down a deposit this morning and will pick it up tomorrow. ('08 Black/Red) I took a little test ride around a dealer's parking lot and couldn't really tell much about it. Two things I noticed right off that I didn't like but probably can be fixed is the position of the shift lever. It is to high and I had to take my foot off of the peg to shift it. The other was how easy the throttle works. I think I must have looked like a kid trying to drive a standard shift the first time. It was hard to keep it steady. I just hope I enjoy it as much as I have my Raptor over the last 10 years. If I like it as much as I think I will, I will probably sell my '07 Rhino Sport Edition as well. Hint: The '01 Raptor 660 is for sale as of today. Thanks again to everyone.
post #20 of 30 Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Enjoy it. I agree that the throttle is very touchy around idle. On technical trails it causes you to get the front end light which augments the push when turning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode