Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

1985 atc 250r

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  NavyNut 
#1 ·
Got a kickass deal on a 1985 honda atc 250r! My dads buddy has 3 of them and he's selling me one for 500 cash! it runs great and its in perfect condition and all stock. Its a awesome deal! Im just wondering if its as fast as the 700? ive never rode one before but ive heard about the power they pack...what do you guys think?

#2 ·
Thats a great deal. I rode a buddies 86 quite a bit in my youth that had aftermarket reeds and silencer. If I remember right it toped out around 80. I dont think it will out run the 700 on the big end stock but i think it will get there quicker. First thing I would do (after the first ride of course, lets don't be foolish) is rering it, complete exhaust kit and the reeds. Good luck keeping the front down. lol

#3 ·
sweet deal. They are fast. Just remember, 2 stroke hahaha, don't keep it WOT while trying to outrun the 700.

#5 ·
First off, that is an AWESOME deal!!!!! I have paid more than that for Rs that were parts bikes. If you haven't rode one much, be careful the first few times. They can be a handful in the woods and on the rocks if you are not used to one.

On the speed thing, I am gonna say it depends on where you race at. I am not sure about a stock R since it has been so long since mine was, but I think that my big 3 XX would destroy mine on the road or dirt. At the same time the R would eat it up in the sand or anything really loose, the weight difference is too much to overcome in those situations. Watch the front end, coming up and going sideways when you have a traction differential on the rear end. If you are going to trail ride it, I would recommend spacers and a harder rear tire like a scorpion. Makes it much easier to get around the corners.

You will love it!!!!

#6 ·
This is why I hate you Yanks !
Me can only hope to find things like this at this kinda money, works out about £700 .
:steamed:

#8 · (Edited)
For $600 I would get a pipe, silencer, filter, and reeds. Especially if it still has the stock reeds from 85. The Boyesen Rad Valve is good because it has a better intake on it, I have ran one for about 6 years with good luck. As far as a woods pipe goes, I really like my FMF fatty with the plain jane FMF silencer. I used to run a K&N, but it didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling on how it fits in the air box over the flange, so i swiched to a UNI. Like I said earlier, rear tires and spacers make it easier to handle IMO. Make sure to take extra time jetting, the R is alot pickier than modern 4 strokes.

After that, port, polish, bigger carb, bigger piston.........the list goes on and on.

Here is a pic of my baby.

#9 ·
So I finally picked up the 250r on sunday and holy hell that thing is fast! The second I got home my dad and I ran the xx against the 250 and the 250r won 5 of 6 races! The 250 seemed to get the jump off the line and pulled to about 2 bike lengths and stayed there the whole race. The 250 is stock and the xx has the big 3. I was very impressed with the 250! Can't wait to put aftermarket parts in it! I'll get pics up later today and video sometime this week!

#12 ·
haha. Nice. should beat it a bizillion times on low end, but quite positive the stock 250r wont top out as far as the XX. Watch out tho if you do what EE says, you may want to lean far forward when taking off if you juice it up haha, especially when you hit the powerband in 1st or 2nd gear.

#14 ·
read on dirtwheels some guy found a 250r new in the crate, that was in a barn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.