Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

honda trx 450 or 2008 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR

12K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Tim700xx92 
#1 ·
so i have almost recovered completely from cancer / chemo.now i am wanting a second quad. 1 for friends to ride with me or 1 that i can race mx with.i have narrowed it down to 2 quads.a honda 2005 450r or a polaris 2008 outlaw 450mxr. i dont know a lot about polaris but hve a friend who swears by them and another that hates em..
what would you pick?

See less See more
#3 ·
i'd stay away from polaris.. my ferind bent the frame on his outlaw over the winter after me and him fell in a drift filled 5' deep ditch... my xx did have a mark on it.... btw he has a xx now...

#4 ·
honda's are more reliable through and through, if it's a bike for a friend to ride? get the honda.

#8 ·
I've heard bad things about outlaws too. I went riding with a guy who had one in pretty bad conditions last weekend and he did fine the whole way, except at the end somehow his chain was extremely loose (over 1.5 inches of play) which I don't know if that was his fault or what happened. Besides that the bike held up good and we were beating the crap out of it

Considering this is a Honda forum its no surprise you will get all Honda supporters, and I'm no different :D

#14 ·
Yes, the KTM motor requires much more in the way of maintenance... valve adjustments, etc. You'll spend more time tweaking the motor than riding. I have riding buddies who ride both and it seems that Hondas just keep going and going.

roadkill

#10 ·
I say stay away from polaris. All polaris my friends have bought are peaces of sh!t!

#15 ·
HAha I like how noone has said Congrats on Beating Cancer.... But yeah Congrats.. and Honda would be my choice too...

#16 ·
:funny: I agree! Congrats on getting better! Honda all the way.

#17 ·
There are a few things to consider. The honda still does require more maintenance over the XX, as in oil changes and valve adjustments, but still less than the KTM engine. It is also easier to maintain than the Polaris. Even though it already has fox shocks, all sport polaris's come stock w/ Fox shocks, it is THE STOCK shock. Just b/c it says Fox doesn't mean it is awesome. If you break anything on the Polaris, especially the engine, it will cost you a lot more to replace than it will on the Honda. I would say go w/ Honda. I have had 3 450Rs total, and loved them all. My cousin has the Polaris, and as Roadkill said, spends more time tinkering than riding it. BTW, congratulations on getting better and fighting cancer.

#18 ·
thanks for the input!! honda 450r is the choice...id rather ride than fix shit all the time!! i got time to make up for!!:xx:
1 last question.. i hear that 2005 is the best year. is this correct?:nuts:

#19 ·
well its hard to ask a forum for a honda atv.. but then if you went on a polaris forum, then everyone would say polaris.. but all i trust is honda, everyone i know doesn't have honda so i end up ridden alone cuz all there sh!t is broken...

if you want a good answer, do research that isn't opinionated to make your decision

#20 ·
It's hard to say the best year. They are all comparable. Personally, if I were you, and you decided on the 450R for that price, before you bite the bullet, go to the local Honda Shop and see what kind of deal you can get for a new one. Maybe that one in the pic has mods, it obviously has a graphics kit. But I would go w/ an ER if possible, for ease of starting. Just be sure that if you are going to do lots of wheelies w/ them and stuff, to change the oil out more often. The maintenance on all years is the same, and it is pretty easy.

#21 ·
Real glad you are on the road to recovery. :tup::yay::yay::yay:
I would go for the Honda and in the UK , the 04/05 were classed as the best and most reliable Honda 450r built.
I tried real hard to get of the Zing "General Lee" graphics but they would not ship to the UK. :D

#22 ·
04/05/ has a stronger stronger gear box but its pluged up more from the factory

#24 ·
ohh yeah... baxter do u think i could take a 450r coolin and put it on the xx? ik u were talkin bout tring it a while back..

#26 ·
I like Honda and Polaris and have both as you can see by my signature. If your getting it for a friend I would say Honda because of reliability. But if you want to take it to the track the Polaris is set up much better and will take less money to make it a really nice mx quad. Oh the outlaw also has reverse and trx doesn't if that matters to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.