Lever action rifle... - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lever action rifle...

I'm considering getting a lever action rifle. Here's 2 of them I'm considering, both from Henry. Both can be chambered for .45, .44mag and .357/.38 special.

I'm kind liking the short (25 inches) at the moment... chambered for .44mag

What do you all think?

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you poan to do with it, then I will give you my opinion. I am not a fan of either caliber in a rifle. But they do have there good points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
roadkill,
I like the longer rifle. The shorter one looks like it would be difficult for an adult to use. The stock puts the entire gun in a strange position to effectively position it in your shoulder area and then use the sights.
You should find one to test fit to your arm length and cheek. I am partial to the 45 Colt or the 38 Special. Just my opinion.
Sid

post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM

i have a henry and its a nice gun but is a little short for my liking dont shoot it much.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM

On a side note, I want a henry. In either 17 hmr, or 22. But I totally agree that the short one might be difficult to shoot, let alone get any accuracy out of it.

MY RIDES

post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I have a 22 Henry that I use for a squirrel gun and love it.

KASH 2011
post #7 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'd just be fooling around with it. I don't hunt. Can't bring myself to shoot Bambi type critters. However, I would protect myself and my riding friends from anything that thought we looked like lunch... mountain lion? Close range. That's also why I'd have it chambered for the .44mag rather than a similar rifle chambered for .22. The .22 is the same shorty rifle except in blued steel rather than brass.

The shorty is not really meant to be shot from your shoulder... more like shooting from the hip.

Also thinking about personal protection in my home.

Another gun I'm considering (hand gun) the S&W 500

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an Ithica .22 mag lever action... love the thing. Just as smooth as my dads henrys. With the elevation jacked up, its nothing for that thing to ping the steel plate at the range every time at 200yd.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Roadkill, go to a gun range and try a few hand guns and feel what they feel like. The S&W 500 should be a long barrel pistol. They kick like hell. .40 calibur in hollow point will take anything down if it is placed right. If your accuracy is bad then anything you use will not help. Even though you are not a hunter it is good to know where a kill point is on your target. I carry a .32 Keltec and know that if I shoot it at the face of my victim it will cause damage and back them off. Half the fun of owning a gun is shopping for one. Good luck.

Can't wait to see that rifle straped to your quad like on a horse. LOL

2008 Black & Red TRX 700XX
- L8ton Sway Bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Side Bars
- Pro Armor Bumper, Kenda Kutter Tires, UNI Filter
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM

I would research the s&w 460. I think its a better cal than the 500. Plus you can get lighter loads for it like the 454 casull and I think 45 long colt. Just an option.

MY RIDES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode