DOHC vs SOHC - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DOHC vs SOHC

I had a thought when I was doing my hotcam install.......why would you even want a DOHC?? What are the adavantages of having a dual cam motor vs a single?? I couldn't really come up with a good anwser on my own. Any of you guys at EHS or White Knuckle got any input on the subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 AM

DOHC offers more Precise valve timing because typically 1 cam is for intake and one cam is for exhaust valves. From everything I have been taught though SOHC offers better low end torque. I could be Wrong and I am sure someone else will Chime in with additional Info.

2008 TRX700XX
DWT Red label Wheels
Razer II tires
Fox Float Evol X Front Shocks
Fox Podium X Rears
Pro Armor Nerfs
Trail tech Bar clamps
Flexx Handle bars
Barker Exhaust
EHS Lid
EHS Programmer
Acerbis Uniko Handguards

2011 Can Am Commander 1000X
post #3 of 11 Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Its more so for a lighter valvetrain going to a DOHC(for the most part). SOHC(for the most part) has a rocker arm and that adds weight(which some DOHC setups do too) compared to most DOHCs.
Its more a question of what would complement the port layout and overall flow capacity of the cylinder head than a question of simply DOHC vs SOHC. Most DOHC setups are limited to lobe shape and size compared to a SOHC(like I said, most) so in most applications were a DOHC is used the ports in that cylinder head dont flow well in higher lift ranges.

Bo White
205-886-7043

post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
DOHC offers more Precise valve timing because typically 1 cam is for intake and one cam is for exhaust valves. From everything I have been taught though SOHC offers better low end torque. I could be Wrong and I am sure someone else will Chime in with additional Info.
In no way to call you out but the cam profile would dictate torque output not it being SOHC or DOHC.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

As Bo pointed out weight savings in the valve train is one benefit. Another is less valve train deflection from not having push rods.
Lower weight, Lower Spring Pressure More Powa!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Push rods?? I thought we were talking about over head cam engines....lol. Its hard for me to accept that two cams weighs less than one cam and rocker arms..... port layout knida makes sense I guess, but the cams are above the ports, so you would think you could pretty much do what you want with the ports unless engine highth is a concern or something. Maybe it has something to do with combustion chamber layout??
post #7 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dmbhonkey View Post
Push rods?? I thought we were talking about over head cam engines....lol. Its hard for me to accept that two cams weighs less than one cam and rocker arms..... port layout knida makes sense I guess, but the cams are above the ports, so you would think you could pretty much do what you want with the ports unless engine highth is a concern or something. Maybe it has something to do with combustion chamber layout??
when they say less weigh they mean the amount of weight the valve spring have to push back and rocker arms add to that weight. but dohc head is biger and heavier overall. best way to see this is too look at a yfz head and comparer to a trx450 head

08 TRX700XX
-uni
-primary drive 13t
-pclll
-soon to have a cp 11:1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 ford f-250 ccsb 7.3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-skyjacker 6'' lift
- 315-75r16 pro comp xtarrain
-sct 100hp tune
-straight pipe with 4'' dp
-dana 60 swap with mile marker hubs

06 pos hyundia tuscon
-dont buy one there junk

live to ride and ride to live
post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dmbhonkey View Post
Your correct, my mind wondered off subject with the pushrods. It's an advantage SOHC/DOHC has over a conventional engine.

The OP's question is pretty tough to answer, There are many variables. DOHC would offer you greater valve angle options to suit port designs and create better flow. I'd think that would be one of the top reasonings.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM

is also has alot to do with power loss due to friction, more parts normally in a sohc engine, dohc is a more direct way normally of opening valves, a dohc engine will rev higher make more power, and be more efficient, its like when you put roller rockers on a push rod motor

All readyto roost thanks to
Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Bart at Pearl Coast Motorcycles
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles
Bj Network Consulting Australia
Minshull Mechanical Repairs

R.I.P Steve "Scuba" Hall 12th December 1988 - 5th December 2010

You are Greatly missed, cant wait to go riding with you again one day mate
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Port flow and friction are the key things the DOHC was designed for

TEAM TORQUE RACING
2009 TRX700XX
Visual: Maier white/black carbon fiber body, 22x11x10 and 22x7x10 razrs on ITP SS112, Renthal bars, ProArmor full nerfs, pro grip grips, red underglow, 55W Bi-xenon H.I.Ds

Performance: Full barkers exhaust, PC5, EHS air box lid, P&P Shaved Head, Hardwelded Rockers, Stage 3 Hot Cam, 11:1 CP piston, K&N filter, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T & 35T, 37T primary drive. & NO2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode