User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
ein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any hvac repairmen on here?

I am hopeing i can get lucky and one of you guys on here work on hvac units.. lol I have some questions so that i can make an informed decision before i call the repair man.. First of all my 3.5 ton heatpump unit has stopped working. Everything inside the house still functions. The breaker inside the house keeps tripping (dual 40 amp breaker) and the breaker outside the house by the condenser unit does not trip (60amp).
I fliped off the outside breaker and turned on the a/c and the inside breaker did not trip. I then turned on the outside breaker and there was some poping from inside the condenser unit. I removed the inspection pannel and the capacitors all looked ok. Removed the cover where the power plugs into the compressor and the plug was melted on 1 leg... There is signs of corrosion on the terminals.

I guess my question is... what are the chances of me getting lucky and the melted plug is due to a bad connection???? Is it alot more likely there is an internal short in my compressor??..(this is what i expect it to be, but i'm trying to be optomistic! multi meter is at work... will bring it home and test tomorrow)

If it is the compressor, what should i expect to pay for a new one? What about a new one installed? What all needs replaced besides the compressor and dryer?? should i do the capacitors as well?

What specs do i even need to look for in shopping for a replacement compressor?
All i know is that it is a heatpump style system and it is a 3.5 ton size

Thanks for any information.

23" GBC XC Master tires up front
ITP T-9 rims rear GBX X-REX 22-11-10 rear
Douglas red label rear rims with 25" swamp lite tires
8000k Hid lights, 13/14/15tooth sprokets
Removed reverse rev limiter
Ds450 shock swap
EHS fuel programmer
Big Gun EVO R slip on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doubt the connector is your only problem. How old is unit and what brand is it. Most hvac shops can order compressors by serial number, model number, and make. Filter drier will have to be replaced, usually when compressor goes it ruins the "freon". What type does your unit use, is it r22, or 410. They don't make 22 anymore. Bad news, compressor is the most expensive part. If you replace yourself double check ordered part for line sizes, depending on make big line should be 3/4(maybe 7/8), small line should be 3/8. You have to be licensed to mess with the gases and in most places licensed to solder. You will probably have to have a tech replace to get any kind of warranty.
Most driers only flow one way, yours needs both because heat pumps pump both ways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^

Last edited by traitor08; 03-22-2011 at 09:49 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
ein

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Its r-22. proablly about 15 years old. looks like the compressor was replaced already at one point. What all is involved in retrofitting a r-22 system to run 410?

23" GBC XC Master tires up front
ITP T-9 rims rear GBX X-REX 22-11-10 rear
Douglas red label rear rims with 25" swamp lite tires
8000k Hid lights, 13/14/15tooth sprokets
Removed reverse rev limiter
Ds450 shock swap
EHS fuel programmer
Big Gun EVO R slip on

Last edited by ein; 03-22-2011 at 09:52 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM

A new outside unit, new line set, and new coil. 410 runs higher pressures so it will find weak spots in the r22 units. Beng 15 years old is gonna bring you to a big decision. Fix it and hope it doesn't have a problem soon. Or buck up and buy new cooling side for your home. I know r22 around here goesfor $35 a lb, depending on length of line set you could use around 4lbs. And that price is only gonna go up. 15-20 years is about it for life expectancy on a unit. Some get more, others less depending on environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM

It will cost a lot more to switch to 410, they don't make r 22 anymore but you can still get it no problem. No one can sell new units charged with r22 anymore but the way around that is they sell them charged with nitrogen. You would save a ton of money if you did the work yourself but its not easy work for someone that doesn't know what to do and it will be hard to get your hands on freon without a hvac cert.

HDD BUILT...EVERYONE ELSE IS RACING FOR SECOND

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM

We just had our heat pump fixed about 3 weeks ago on the house we just bought. I don't know how old the unit is but I'm guessing about 16 years since the house was build in 1995. The techs replaced some "board" in the inside part, it was 300$ for the board, 600$ after both visits and installation but it works just like new now.

Since then my dad actually found a lady whose house was being foreclosed on and she was selling EVERYTHING including her bran new 3.5 Ton Rheem heat pump for 350$ so we have a back up now

Stock 08 TRX700XX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode