LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
2007 400ex

Hi guys,

I need a little help. I'm planning on buying an 07 400ex and was wondering if anyone knows what the compression range should be?

TYI
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
According to the service manual 100-128 psi.

Currently: 400ex, Lexx MXe, K&N w/outerwears
Outlaw 525 IRS

Save the Oregon Dunes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkangel View Post
According to the service manual 100-128 psi.
Thanks. I see you own one now, is there anything you know of that I should look for(bearings, seals, engine noise)?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM

This is the basic checklist I use when looking at a used quad:

The first thing I do before anything else is check to see if the motor is warm. This could possibly indicate that the seller warmed it up before you arrived in order to hide a problem (smoking on start up, cold running problems, etc...)

1. Compression (remember to turn off the fuel and hold the throttle wide open when doing the compression test.)
2. Oil - check for color, metal flakes, etc.. any oil leaks around the head gasket are a bad sign. Also check for leaks around any of the hoses, fittings, or plugs.
3. Bearings and ball joints - check for looseness, check axle and swingarm for play, check a-arms for play.
4. Tie Rods, steering stem, handlebars - check for bends that could indicate a wreck or roll-over.
5. Frame. Set the quad up on the rear grab bar and check for any frame damage, bends, cracks, or structural rust. Check subframe for bends and damage (common if someone wheelies a lot)
6. Air Filter - check if it is clean and maintained. A dirty unmaintained filter is not a good sign.
7. Chain and sprockets - Check for wear. Sprocket teeth should not be thin or hook shaped. Check the o-rings on the chain for splitting or cracking.
8. Tire wear - are the tires original, replaced, or are they bald? Can indicate the amount of hours the quad has seen.
9. Electrical - make sure all the lights and switches work. If you have a volt meter, check to make sure that the battery is charging.
10. Controls - make sure the all the controls work...throttle, brakes, etc...
11. Body condition - cracks or stress marks could indicate a roll-over or wreck.
12. Oil cooler condition - fins in good condition, not bent or clogged.

Additional tips:
Check for blue smoke on start up. This could mean leaking valve seals or bad rings. Leaky valve seals usually smoke more on deceleration.
The 400ex may have a bit of valve noise which is normal. At most it should only sound like light clicking, but not loud rattling.
Many 400ex's also have a subtle whine at idle that to me sounds similar to the compressor whine from a supercharger. This is also normal.
Check all of the intake boots for cracks and make sure the clamps are tight.
Take any "low hours" claims with a grain of salt. Everyone tends to advertise their quads as "low hours". Condition and maintenance will tell the tale.

Hope this helps.

Outlaw 525 IRS

Save the Oregon Dunes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying it yesterday. Checked everything over and passed my inspection. Couldn't beat it, picked up an 07 for $1800. Only thing that it really needs is new plastics because the original owner cut the fronts for the race look. Got home yesterday and rode it for 2 1/2 hours and it never skipped a beat. Engine was dry (no leaks) and it was tuned right.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Good deal! Congrats!

They are great quads. Even if I upgrade to something bigger, I won't be getting rid of the 400. They're reliable, handle great, and are awesome quads to have around.

Outlaw 525 IRS

Save the Oregon Dunes!

post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
One thing to check into on those is the recall that Honda had on them. I am not sure if it was still there in the 07 models, as it started in the 04 or 05 models, whichever they put the reverse on first. Anyway, a spring in the switch would break or something and cause it to act like the reverse switch was actuated, which means if you accidentally stepped down on the shifter it could go into reverse and cause it to lock up and everything. Just a heads up. Other than that, the EX's are awesome and dependable machines.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Nice buy! The only things I ever had to do to my 00 and 06 were change the oil, clean the air filters, and tighten the chains.

KASH 2011
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Ordered some parts for it last night. Picked up some ITP T9s, GBC X-Rex Tires, complete set of Maier plastics, Uni filter, Scott grips and just the basic maintenance things.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Nice buy all my buddies ride 400 EX's they wont ride anything else. And they can be built to really scream. One my buds has one that will hang with my XX.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode