Need your help current or former Raptor riders - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Need your help current or former Raptor riders

I currently have a Rancher 420 4X4 SRA w/power steering that I use hunting and such and plan to keep it. I have taken it trail riding a few time, and where we ride the trails are somewhat eroded and there are exposed 2"-6" roots all along the trail. The power steering is nice in keeping the kick-back in the bars to a minimum, but the ride is quite harsh. I like wheelies, small jumps and such, and maybe a little dune riding, but trails mostly.

I am going to buy either a Raptor or a XX, and I figured it would be a lot easier to find some people that have ridden both machines here than on the Raptor sites. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no suspension and 10 being a big Polaris (because it's often proclaimed to be the smoothest riding ATV), where would you rank both the Raptor 700r and the 700XX on a rough rooted trail?

Thanks,
Magnetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Ive ridden both a lot on fast rough trails. Unless you're riding on a road, sand or super smooth trails at all times get the XX!!!!!!! My friend has a extremely fast built raptor 700r and he can't keep up in the trail at black river falls. Trust me on this one, XX is king in the trails. If you want a dragster with crazy power after a lot of $$$ then get the Raptor. Both are great machines but for the recreational rider who is in the woods/trails the XX is truly king!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM

How much do you weight? I ask because I weight 220lb and I feel the front suspension on the xx is too soft, if I jump more than 4ft high I will bottom it out, and the front suspension on the xx is notoriusly bad. The rear suspension I like very much, a bit hard but can be tuned some. The ground clearance on the rear of the xx is very nice and the overall handling is pretty good except for some front end push (can be almost eliminated with better tires) and some weird body roll because of the IRS. The aftermarket parts are very limited.

About the raptor: The suspension on 07SE models and 08+ models is very nice and tunable both front and rear, it is easy and cheaper to make tons of power. You can help on ground clearance with 22in rear tires and 22in front tires. Aftermarket parts availablity is amazing.

I would definitely advise that you go out in your trails with each of these machines and try them out as they handle very differently.

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate

My name is Iņigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!

post #4 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Excellent question that I should have mentioned. I'm 6'4 and weigh 245 lbs. 3-4 ft. is about as high or higher than I would ever jump with out a landing ramp. Can the front springs be changed on the stock shock?

I wish I could take both on the trail to test them out, but that really isn't possible. I know there is a huge following for the Raptor, and that is partly why I am considering it. I know I could likely get the Raptor front suspension plush for my style of riding, +2 A arms with revalved shocks etc. but I wouldn't think that the rear would ever be as smooth as IRS...
post #5 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Doesn't matter what suspension the raptor has, the irs blows it out of the water in rough trails. I've ridden both machines side by side and back to back. The xx is way smoother in the trails because of the irs. All my raptor friends agree and say the xx rides like a caddy. They told me to "slow the fuck down" at black river because the bumps were getting to them. This is all factual material not a biased opinion. If the raptor were smoother i'd say so just like when i say you can make more power with the raptor for dragging.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
My good buddy has a Rappy, and we would ride. Started when they were both bone stock, and now that both have some aftermarket stuff. For the XX, you can get better front shocks cheap that help out a lot, like the ds450s. The XX is smoother over all, but the raptor can handle better in turns. Both have all the power you could want in the trails, and then some, especially compared to your rancher (which I have a 420 as well). If you are doing more trails, I would def say get the XX, as it can handle anything it that is thrown at it. Sure, there isn't nearly the aftermarket sector as there is for the Raptor, but then again most people do the Big 3 and that's about it, which there is plenty of that for the xx. Good luck.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM

The guys I ride with solid axles always hve to pu me somewhere in the middle. I tend to go faster when the trail gets rough, ground clearance, better chain/sprocket/rotor protection than they got. I ca pretty much aim and go instead of picking a good line.

MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
Excellent question that I should have mentioned. I'm 6'4 and weigh 245 lbs. 3-4 ft. is about as high or higher than I would ever jump with out a landing ramp. Can the front springs be changed on the stock shock?

I wish I could take both on the trail to test them out, but that really isn't possible. I know there is a huge following for the Raptor, and that is partly why I am considering it. I know I could likely get the Raptor front suspension plush for my style of riding, +2 A arms with revalved shocks etc. but I wouldn't think that the rear would ever be as smooth as IRS...
I'm right at 220, and the only time I bottom out my 700xx is if I have to much weight forward. In other words land on the nose. If you land it right, with rear tires hitting 1st it don't bottom out. As far as your weight you should know the sticker on the 700 says maximin weight capacity 243 lbs.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
I currently have a Rancher 420 4X4 SRA w/power steering that I use hunting and such and plan to keep it. I have taken it trail riding a few time, and where we ride the trails are somewhat eroded and there are exposed 2"-6" roots all along the trail. The power steering is nice in keeping the kick-back in the bars to a minimum, but the ride is quite harsh. I like wheelies, small jumps and such, and maybe a little dune riding, but trails mostly.

I am going to buy either a Raptor or a XX, and I figured it would be a lot easier to find some people that have ridden both machines here than on the Raptor sites. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no suspension and 10 being a big Polaris (because it's often proclaimed to be the smoothest riding ATV), where would you rank both the Raptor 700r and the 700XX on a rough rooted trail?

Thanks,
Magnetic
XX is a 15 if the Polaris is a 10. Seriously though both bikes are good, ride both and see what you think. You won't be disappointed either way, of course I have to give the nod to the XX though. Especially in the nasty stuff.

KASH 2011
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM

The key is the last line in your post. In a rough rooted trail it is no contest. The XX is king in the trail! Between not having to worry about getting high centered to just soaking up the bumps. I have ridden the XX, raptor 700, and yfz 450 in the trails and it is not comparable. I would not switch from the XX for a second in those conditions

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode