English v American. - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
English v American.

Lol at the "english " debate on the "tire size" thread..
Tyre is what the whole world uses exept usa..(for whoever it was that asked)
Tire is tired, as in need some sleep, or some of you may tire at dragging this up again...
So what do you use in usa for tired or tire ?

Another one that has caught engineers out (american ones) is the use of mill.
Could tell you a story where a rather expensive piece of kit got sent to the states to be finished and it was wrongly assumed that the mill measurements were imperial, it all ended in wrongly fitting parts and a rather expensive explosion !

Now much of the world uses metric so mill is short for millimetre, but in the states a mill is 1/1000th of an inch.

We are all metricated here nowadays yet tyre/tire sizes for cars carry a combination of both, ie 185/70x13 ?
Uk still sells boats in feet as it sounds longer than metres ;)

Would be interesting to know how such words as tire (rubber) and color (colour) which came from the english language ended up being spelt differently !
humour/humor .. favourite/favorite.. theatre/theater.. kilometre/kilometer cosy/cozy... realise/ realize.. dialogue/dialog.. traveller/traveler.. cheque/check.. jewellery/jewelry..

Last edited by rappey; 11-07-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: cos its spelt wrong... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a situation at work where we were contracting some work out to a German company. We had them fly over here, but their translator was stuck en-route so we had 8 engineers sitting in a room who couldn't communicate with each other. We started using hand signals & "figuring it out"...I held up my index finger (meaning "1")...apparently in Germany you start counting with a thumb, so they wrote down "2". That was a $400k issue. :(
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I learnt to use both. I can buy a New Holland tractor built in England. Most parts are built in Europe ,yet they use 3/8" UNC bolts for the exhaust manifold , etc and most of the hydraulic fittings are ORFS which is a flat faced Jic thread. We have a Manitou telehandler that has BSP spool blocks etc and they use couplings to convert it to metric . I wish they would use imperial as it is easier to work with and understand.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM

i do tire of using all that goofy metric stuff.lol

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Also I wouldn't call the thread "English vs American". The English had there own system using with things like BSF, British Standard fine which was similar to UNF. What fucked the system up was "Eurogods" telling us we could not use Imperial and had to use metric and now they say use what you want because it didn't work. Without the Euro law we would have still be on BSP.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
I would love if we here in the states would just stick to metric (decimals). Its so much easier then imperial (fractions).

As for the change in the spelling of words, I feel that when our forefathers left Great Britain to come to America for a change and freedom, they still wanted to adopt some of the good qualities but wanted to put their own twist on it to make it their own.

Last edited by NineLivez2Go; 11-08-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: rappey made fun of me :p
post #7 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

dont you mean imperial (fractions) and metric (decimal) ?
whoops...
What are your cars held together with ? Metric or imperial ?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappey View Post
dont you mean imperial (fractions) and metric (decimal) ?
whoops...
What are your cars held together with ? Metric or imperial ?
I sure did. Edit.

Mostly metric. Really depends on the part.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
i do tire of using all that goofy metric stuff.lol
I don't know why the rest of the world can't conform either.lmao!

KASH 2011
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Garage
The US twist on the english language is to spell phonetically.........or is that fonetically ?
Just as confusing here in Oz, we use a mixture of the two languages along with a few twists of our own. Onya mate.

Happy trails..........
Priesty.

2008 700xx,
LTR front shocks, ccp damper, Fasst flexx bars, 13t front cog, Lexx slip-on & controller, K&N filter, L8ton 9/16" swaybar, Pro armor nerfs & skids, Texiera front upper arms, IMS tank, Maier plastics (Red), HCC custom seat cover.

My Flickr sets:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode