Notes on digital cameras - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Notes on digital cameras

With Christmas almost here, I thought I'd pass on some info about different options and such. First off, I use a cell phone for making phone calls ONLY... I don't want it to take pics or surf the web.

1. Higher mega pixel cameras also mean larger file size for each pic. You need to make sure your memory card is large enough to hold a good number of pics. Generally, the included memory card won't be large enough.

2. The LCD screen on the back of the camera is a battery eater. A better camera will also have a view finder with the option to turn that LCD screen off and take pics using the view finder.

3. Cameras with a zoom should be "optical" zoom rather than "digital" zoom or part optical and part digital. Example: Camera A has 10x optical and 5x digital for a total of 15x. Camera B has 12x zoom ALL optical. Camera B will take a better, sharper pic at 12x than camera A. Camera A will zoom to it's optical limit and then digitally zoom the other 2x... digitally spreading the image pixels out.

4. If you are going to be taking pics of things in motion, make sure the camera has a dedicated motion capture setting that is easy to use... like a knob on top of the camera to move from one pre-set to another. You don't want to have to open a menu and go to "settings" type crap.

5. Digital camera prices are getting lower and lower. But, to save money... wait till AFTER Christmas for best deals.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use my cell phone as my main camera/video recorder/computer. I don't call many people and only text message a few. It has a 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080P video recording, and a 1.3 megapixel front camera. I also use a Sony Handycam for when I go to nice places to ride. It 60x optical zoom, 2000x digital zoom, 1080p HD, and 80 gigabyte hard drive, as well as a memory stick slot. My cell phone is more useful though, a lot more capabilities, and a lot less to carry.

So many options for digital cameras, camcorders, and cell phones these days, so do your research before buying. The most expensive one isn't always the best, and the cheapest isn't always going to save you money, especially if it doesn't last.

2008 Honda TRX700XX
*Curtis Sparks X-6 Full Exhaust
*Power Commander V
*Pro Design Air Filter
*Elka Stage One Shocks
*Pro Taper Evo Bars
*Trail Tech Big Bar Clamp
*MSR Clutch Perch
*Powermadd Handguards
*ODI Rogue Grips
*IMS 5gal Tank
*Pro Armor XC Bumper
*PRM Full Skid Plates
*Maxxis Razr II Tires
*ITP Aluminum Rims

2007 Honda Rincon GPScape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone has their own opinions but ive had nothing but great experiences with anything Nikon. They seem much more user friendly than the other brands i have used (Cannon is second)

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For a living I work for our local government as an IT/Media Administrator. Basically means anything technical, I have to do. We are a small organization so I wear many hats. One of my responsibilities is to do the layout of our bi-monthly newspaper and take tons of pictures.

The still camera I have been using for nearly 7 years now is the Canon Digital Rebel DS6041. Yeah, I know its old compared to todayís cameras, but it was the sh1t back then has never failed me. 90% of all the pictures you have seen me post here have been taken with this camera. I do not use the lens that came with the camera because it is too narrow for me. I prefer a wider image, so I use the Canon 17-40mm wide angle lens. This lens cost me way way more than the camera did and is probably the best investment I ever made as far as still camera accessories go.

For video I used a number of video cameras. Some of you may know that my wife and I are independent film makers. We have our own film company called Sheephead Films. I have been doing this since my late 20ís. Iím 46 now. I have gone through many video cameras over the years as well as Super 8 and 16mm film cameras. I no longer have any of my film cameras, as I have sold them because film is way too expensive to use any more now days. Digital video is the way to go as far as film making costs go.

I have 3 pro-sumer (you donít find these at Wal-Mart or Best Buy) standard definition 3CCD video cameras that I have had for years. One is a Sony TRV900 series, the other is an old Canon XL1 and lastly my Panasonic DVX100B. A few years ago I moved up to HD and bought the Canon XHA1. This XHA1 and the rest of my video cameras are pretty much old school now, as camera technology is forever changing on a daily basis. But needless to say, they are all really nice cameras and do the job well. I have made many films and music videos over the years with these and they have never failed me.

As for regular consumer video cameras go I use my Kodak Play Sport. Itís small, waterproof and shoots HD. Great for shooting video while riding, boating, camping, etc. I would like to get one of those GoPro HD cameras someday though.

There are some really great cameras out there, both video and still. Nearly every one of them has all the features you would want in a camera and then some. As far as when is the best time to buy one? Thatís hard to say because technology is always changing. Camera models come and go. A camera thatís top of the line one day could be second best the next day. I always say buy what you want and can afford to buy. There is no reason to break the bank when it comes to technology.

In my experience, no matter what I buy, even if itís on sale, discontinued or a closeout, it always seems to drop in price a month later.

Shonie

Heckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - Lexx Slip-on, Lexx Programmer,K&N Air Filter, Alba Nerf Bars, Honda Racing Skid Plates

Jeckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - AC Racing Full Exhaust, EHS Programmer, K&N Air Filter, Honda Racing Skid Plates, Alba Nerf Bars, K&N Air Filter
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
ein

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got my wife a cannon rebel t3i a while back. It's a super nice camera and a great starter for anyone looking to get into semi-pro photography.

23" GBC XC Master tires up front
ITP T-9 rims rear GBX X-REX 22-11-10 rear
Douglas red label rear rims with 25" swamp lite tires
8000k Hid lights, 13/14/15tooth sprokets
Removed reverse rev limiter
Ds450 shock swap
EHS fuel programmer
Big Gun EVO R slip on
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank all or you for your inputs. As luck would have it, I am going out tomorrow to buy a digital camera for a family member. Your specific data and customer satisfaction reports will be on my list of items to look for. Again, many thanks for your help.
Sid
post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The point to this post wasn't actually to get into a discussion on specific cameras, but just to provoke though with those thinking to buy.

I guess the bottom line here is to think about what YOU want in a camera and what YOU want it to do and to shop around for the camera that fits your needs.

On a personal note:
I don't need a cell phone that does everything under the sun or is the newest latest thing. I only want my phone to make calls, therefore, my phone is 4-5 years old. Most times, I don't take it with me... I have a land line at home and at work and a hands free phone in my truck... OnStar. When I'm off riding, I really don't want to still be connected to technology.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode