Dakar 2012 - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Dakar 2012

The worlds greatest rally raid is under way..

Total number of vehicles entered: 465 (+ 15 %) Cars: 171 - Motorcycles: 185 - Quad bikes: 33 - Trucks: 76.

50 nationalities at the race start 11 women have entered the rally (in all categories) First-time competitors: 30 % in the motorcycle and quad bike categories 24 % in the car category
5 million spectators come to watch the 9000km race..

16 raptors (the usual winners) and 5 trx700,s .

How popular is this in the usa as the usa entrys seem a bit thin on the ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Why no interest in this?
The worlds greatest rally and the results are in..

Yamaha Raptors dominated again with the quads, getting the top 6 positions and a trx making 7th.

Yamaha had 2/10 for top 10 bikes with ktm taking all the other positions.

Minis won and filled many positions..

USA- Robbie Gordon made 5th comming in 2 1/4 hrs after the winner in his hummer.
That thing is a beast and absolutely flies !

post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi rappey, maybe no interest in the US because no one from the US has won as far as I remember. On 2 wheels Jonah Street and Quinn Cody didn't finish. It was an awesome event, followed it as much as I could.

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is Iņigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

the coverage in the UK is pretty poor and am not aware of any british drivers- but i watch it for the vehicles, not the drivers so dont care where they come from..
Its things like the awesomeness of a kamaz/iveco or tatra truck tearing past bike and car at god knows what speed.

Last edited by rappey; 11-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM

We have some pretty good coverage because of Fox Sports Latin America, we get an hour daily but it's mostly focused on 2 wheels or cars, quads get like 5 minutes out of the hour. Yeah love to see everyone ripping at 140-160 km/hr on desert roads, beaches, etc. Just crazy!

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is Iņigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
I really dont know much about Dakar but it looks pretty cool. That mini is badass in the beginning of that video. Sorry for the late response. Didn't see this post before. haha

post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

the dakar originally went from france to dakar in africa.. In 2008 due to many terrorist threats they moved it to south america and this years one went argentina, chile and peru.

Many many vid clips on youtube.

A rider/driver is the sole user of the vehicle, no driver/rider changes and one days stage is similar length of what a rider would do in the baja 1000 (team of 3 changing over the 1000 miles), but in this one they have 14 days of it !

It is not just a test of rider skill but also navigation and mechanical reliabilty.

the winner in the mini has won 6 times previously on bikes and this is his 4th win in a car.

Last edited by rappey; 01-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I follow it every year, started five or six years ago. One of the networks does a half hour show the day after the actual stage. This year they showed the quads a bit more. Usually, in the 14 shows, they may talk about the quads in two or three of them. This year they had a few minutes of every show about the quads. I couldn't imagine racing that far on a quad, but would love to give it a try!

I know Dakar bike racer Chris Blais, his best finish was 3rd in 2007. (He broke his back in a motorcycle accident prerunning for the Vegas to Reno race in 2008.) Chris's wife Patty is a quad racer. (Just raced against her a week ago!) I have heard a few stories of Dakar from Chris while sitting out in the desert. I think the one that would worry me the most was need for "ransom insurance"!

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 PM

how about peterhansel running over a bike??? has caused a lot of anger amongst the bike world... or Robby being called a cheater... don't know much about the race and its organization, but seems like there was a lot of favoritism this year based on what I have seen and read...
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

He side swiped a bike that was stuck in the river.
It could be the mini hit a rock which made the mini skip sideways and make contact with the bike? (hypothetical)
A truck took out the back of a mitsibishi and the truck driver was removed from the rally, so they do act..
the tv coverage does not give us enough info to know exactly what hapens on these occasions.
Robbies hummer would have been approved prior to the start so the mods he made were claimed to increase the hp of the vehicle?
the sheer scale of the race would make it very hard to "police" completely but at least only one person died this year which has to be better than the previous events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode