My 700 XX story - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 700 XX story

Hi guys, I thought I would start a thread to cronical my riding experiences and modifications to my 700XX. Hopefully this thread will evolve into a thread where the good and bad modifications and experiences can be shared and learned from by and for everyone. Please help out with advice and comments, even the smallest are appreciated.

My riding experience has been mostly in my long travel 07 Rhino that we bought new. I have done everything from dunes to Alpine riding in it and we love the thing. But with 5 grandkids it has turned into a family tuckster. After our last trip to Glamis it was clear that I needed something else to satisfy my own need to ride while my wife putted around with a Rhino full of kids. I rode a nephews TRX450 while we were there and loved it so I started looking for one. I didn’t even know the 700XX existed until then.

After looking at all the reviews I thought the XX would be the best mix for my local Arizona rocky trails and canyons with the 4 or 5 dune trips each winter.
I picked up my 08 700XX two days ago, on January 17th 2012. I found it on craigslist with an asking price of 4K. The ad said it was purchase new in March of 2010 and had less than 10 hours of ride time. It was only about 30 minutes from home so I called the guy up. He said he had ridden it once, for less than an hour, on some local desert trails that I know well, mostly flat but rutted roads. Other than that he had only ridden it to his mail box, about a 400 yard round trip.

Even though I am skeptical of craigslist claims, I took some cash (and my Taurus Public Defender revolver) to check it out. The thing was a little dirty from sitting but was otherwise perfect with no modifications at all. It started right up and ran great. It even has a transferable warranty good through 2015. He said it was still on its first tank of gas, which did stink a bit like old stuff. The knobby on the tires still had sharp edges and tits, the warning plates still had the plastic film on them! I honestly don’t think the thing had 5 hours on it. Well 3800 bucks later we were headed home.

So I basically have a new 08 700XX to have a ball with and am totally stoked! Stay tuned as I post my mods and riding experiances. Again, please feel free to jump in with your own story and advice.

Here is a cell phone pic from right after we picked it up

Last edited by Dune64; 01-20-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I work graveyard shift and had to go to work right after getting it home, talk about a long night! When I got home I had to ride it, so I went and filled it up, that first tank took about 2.5 gallons to top off. So I’m now thinking less than 5 hours of ride time! I rode for about 3 hours taking it easy like I was breaking in a new motor. It used right at 2 gallons of gas. The ride brought to light a couple things I wanted for it, so when I got home I ordered a set of Alba nerf bars, and a Dual Gasser throttle, they both should be here today. After surfing this site I also ordered a 13 tooth sprocket.
Oh and I was up for about 36 hours through the process of buying it, riding it and washing it. I couldnt get off the thing!
Here is a pic from that first ride taken in the bottom of a local canyon trail……

Last edited by Dune64; 01-20-2012 at 07:06 AM.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Congratulations on your purchase. I've had mine for a little shy of three years, don't ride it nearly as much anymore, but still love the thing. The dual gasser is a great idea, I put it on almost every quad I have had, because I love the twist but other people may only like the thumb. Anyway, new tires may be in the mix for you if you are going to go to the Dunes, other than that I'd suggest just get a good feel for it and read all the threads on here about different things, such as shocks or sway bars, pipes and tires, and ask to see what people may suggest to best suit you. Congratulations again and enjoy.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!

post #4 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, a bigger sway bar is something I was looking at. I am not a little guy, at about 260 + gear. Any recomendations for what sway bar might be best?
post #5 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune64 View Post
Thanks, a bigger sway bar is something I was looking at. I am not a little guy, at about 260 + gear. Any recomendations for what sway bar might be best?
That's easy. Kyle's L8ton... seen above in the sponsor's section. Works very well and good price. Direct replacement of stock sway bar... 10-15 minutes.
Stock sway bar is about 7/16" and Kyle's are 9/16 or 11/16. I'd recommend the 9/16 as the 11/16 would be better for MX.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #6 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dune64,
That was a great find. You will love the machine more and more when you discover the unbelievable capabilities. Just as a suggestion you might change the oil and filter to learn more about that service issue (A little tricky but doable)(Read “How Too” section of this forum. Great instruction!) Another thing you should do is a thorough cleaning of the chain and corresponding gears. I'm not sure (picture) if that is just dirt or rust but it wouldn't hurt to investigate that.
Good Luck and happy riding.
Sid
post #7 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Congrats on your new 700! you will love that thing. Be sure to download the service manual from here https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2195
post #8 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Congrats on the purchase, I too found my XX on craigslist and was a little skeptical about buying anything off there. Like you I couldn't pass it up because the guy only wanted 3400 for it so I jumped all over it. I originally was looking for a Honda 450r when I came across the XX and I couldn't be happier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #9 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune64 View Post
I rode for about 3 hours taking it easy like I was breaking in a new motor. It used right at 2 gallons of gas.

Congrats on your new 700. I have a small concern about your fuel consumption thou. Cause I ride the dog shit out of mine for 5-8 hours, taking breaks of coarse. And use about 2 gallons. The Trx700 only has like a 2.9 gl tank with .9 reserve. So if your on, or close to reserve fuel after 3 hrs of easy riding I dunno? Check to see if the air filter is clean and the box isnt cloged up with a mouse nest or something from the other guy leaving it sit so long.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #10 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM

^yea that seems like youre burning a lot of fuel.

this thread is a great idea, i thought about doing the same thing with mine but im no impatient to take pictures, haha. You'll love this thing. Ive ridden a lot of different quads and for me, this is the best one. Not saying its the best quad out there, just in my opinion its the best at what i use it for. Cant wait to get out on some dunes somewhere and really let this thing rip.

trail toy: '09 700xx: trailtech vapor, trailtech X bars, trailtech riser, OURY grips, l8ton 9/16" XL swaybar, CCP Stabilizer, 23" Razr front,24" bearclaws rear, fmf q4 slip-on, EHS programmer, EHS lid, powermadd handguards, Honda Racing skids, PRM 6 pack rack, 6000k HID's

lake toy: 98 Kawasaki ZXI 1100 jet ski, mostly stock

big toy: 2011 GMC 2500 duramax CCLB 4x4, a few mods but mostly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode