Is it worth it? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Is it worth it?

I am of the opinion that some people mod their quad far beyond what they really need for the riding they do just because they have the money to do these extra mods.

Example: Some people can get some benefit from motor mods like cam, valves, high compression piston, etc. due to the type of riding they do. Others who do general trail riding will be wasting money... but do it anyway just to be able to say they have this or that... EGO

I have done some things to my quad, but only as far as I really need. I felt no need to go into my motor for the riding I do.

My mods...
1. EHS big 3/with Barker exhaust
2. UNI filter
3. 13t
4. PRM Side Bars
5. Elka shocks
6. DG bumper and skid plate
7. CCP steering stabilizer
8. DWT rims
9. Razr and Razr2 tires
10. Tethered kill switch

I don't see a need for more even though I'll be doing some XC racing this year.

What do you think?

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This bike was made to dominate trails and rough terrain as much as a 2wd can, so I don't see the point of people buying this machine to try and race raptors etc on easy terrain. That being said I think going in to the motor to much is a waste of money especially if it is to drag race. Now if you personally feel like you need the power on the trails, then money well spent.

A good few people have bought XX's on here wanting to drag modded raptors etc and have been disappointed. Well that's not what this machine was made for. It was made to beat raptors etc in the trails, which it does.

In the end it is ones own choice if they want to dish out the money into the motor but I would recommend doing it for logical reasons of feeling like you actually need the power and not trying to make it a drag bike which will eventually lead to lost ego anyway and less money in your pocket.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM

I think over 50hp is too much for the tight trails we have in the east coast. But wanting big hp for dunes and open terrain is understandable.

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

2010 camo Polaris Sportsman 850

post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM

I was always looking more more gears on my Z400, wanting more power for climbing hills and racing down the back roads. With the XX, I barely hit fifth, until I get to the back roads. And when I ride them, I have to slow down for everyone, except the dirtbikes. Like Roadkill said, I can't see the XX needing more power for how I ride it, but for other situations you can't ever have enough horsepower.

2008 Honda TRX700XX
*Curtis Sparks X-6 Full Exhaust
*Power Commander V
*Pro Design Air Filter
*Elka Stage One Shocks
*Pro Taper Evo Bars
*Trail Tech Big Bar Clamp
*MSR Clutch Perch
*Powermadd Handguards
*ODI Rogue Grips
*IMS 5gal Tank
*Pro Armor XC Bumper
*PRM Full Skid Plates
*Maxxis Razr II Tires
*ITP Aluminum Rims

2007 Honda Rincon GPScape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Same here the xx seems to have more than enough power for trail riding which is what i ise mine for and i hardly ever use fifth gear. I might put a different slip on muffler on it down the road and do the mod to the air filter box lid to let more air in but that will probably be all i do to mine on the power department.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
My Mods:
EHS airbox lid.
EHS Programmer.
Big Gun Exhaust.
13t-18t front sprocket.(Renthal/Talon)
37-38t rear sprocket.(Stock/PBI)
Renthal O-ring chain.
Motowoz shocks front/rear.
Teixeira Tech +2" steering stem.
Teixeira Tech +1 1/4" LT front a-arms.
Precision Racing Products anti shock and vibe clamps.
Easton CR low bars.
Pro Taper pillow grips.
Streamline twin front brake lines.
Elka/Fastway steering stabiliser,soon to be changed to a Motowoz one.
Modded airbox.
450r modded rear hubs.
A range of 8,9,10 and 11" rear tyres.(Kenda,Goldspeed,Dunlop)
22" Klaws / 18" razr on front.
Pro Armor front/rear skidplates.
Pro Armor Fat peg nerfs /Pro Armor Pro XC nerfs.
Honda Racing MX front bumper.
AC Racing rear grab bar.
Uni/Twin Air air filters.
I know I missed something,I'll edit later.

The handling of my xx is kind of at a point where the motor is screaming for help.
Does it need modifying beyond the Big 3 ,Yes. I don't use 5th ,it's too tall. Main gears are 2nd(On starts)3rd and 4th. 3rd, its bouncing of the rev limiter and 4th just seems to take to long and lugs the motor too much.It's like watchin paint dry.
As for the Drag builds, I am glad they tried ,they did all the test work and posted dyno charts at there expense, that will help me find the right setup for the hp I am looking for.

As for mods , am I done yet ? not by a long ways. It will probably take 2 years to build what I want or should I say what the TRX700xx is capable of. Its a constant balance between handling and the motor. If you have a good motor but it handles badly then you need to upgrade the handling and vice verser. The xx likes to throw a few curve balls ,just when you think you got it right.lol. The high speed front end push is a real heart stopper .Think 4th , 3/4 revs and no steering. All good fun and still learning.

But it does beg me to ask the question, Do you think I am wasting my time and money ,trying to do the things I do ?
I'll let you decide .

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.

Last edited by Baxter; 04-13-2012 at 05:56 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I guess I will be the odd man out and say I was less then impressed with the power of the XX when it was bone stock. I didn't even enjoy riding it. Big 3 did wake it up, but still needed more. For me, extra power is needed for the type of racing I do. Nothing is worse then racing up a high speed sand wash and not having the power to pull 5th gear. Of course, weight could have something to do with it also, a desert quad isn't exactly built for weight savings, we bolt ALOT of extra stuff to them. I won't even go into the extra weight the rider has on him...

For racing, I would want even more power, but have to go with reliability first. My race quads always get a little extra power, but my other quads are kept pretty tame, mostly because they get ridden alot more and I don't want to refresh them as much as the race quads, just to much of an expense. Plus, I don't NEED that power when I am just out screwing around, but if I could afford it, I would have it!

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM

I was also not that impressed with the power of my bike until after I installed the big three. Then when I built the motor I was really impressed with the power it had. I do tight trails as well with a lot of fast open riding as well and being able to pull the front end up in fifth without dumping the clutch is something that the bike would never do stock. I do enjoy dag racing and have beaten a lot of different bikes, the point is that there is always someone faster. It's def worth it to do the motor work it puts a big smile on your face every time you press the gas

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Last edited by jfdanie2; 04-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
I think you guys all have the same idea...build it to your needs. We all can make a washing machine fly with enough HP...

When you look at the 700Xx, what is in it's class??? Kawasaki KFX700, Yamaha Raptor, The old Bomb DS650... You pick the right track... on any given day, these can smoke a 450 but it has to be on our grounds...

I raced a KFX700 in all conditions... I had 1 MX track that I could beat the 450s on...1 MX track where I couldn't even stay on the same lap with the same guys...Sand dunes, 450s were eaten for breakfast...drags, pending how long the track was...had my good and bad days.

I found the best bang for the buck in getting machines like the 700XX and the KFX700 to perform better was in the suspension...Better handling machines makes for faster track times.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 AM

Honda built a rock solid big bore trail quad, not a racer. Big 3 is what the motor needed and a front sprocket tops it off. This is a Honda built to go where 2 wheel drives are not welcome and it loves it. Show me a raptor,DS,KFX ECT ECT that will go the places this quad will go.................... not even one of them can. Want a race quad better go looking some where else, that is unless your talking Baja!!!!!

2009 Honda 700XX se
12 tooth up front
Lexx pipe
Lexx programer
Uni filter
Air lid
Motowoz front shocks
Razr 2 front
Kutters rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode