I'm Powder Coating my motor!!!! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
estatic I'm Powder Coating my motor!!!!

After having my local PC shops tell me they weren't comfortable powdering it for me I decided to buy the equipment and do it myself. Have never done this before. Its pretty neat to do. Hope it turns out well my first time around.

I am doing most of the cases in black chrome which is a three step coat. First is base of super chrome. Second is black chrome. Final is gloss clear. Gonna do some of the covers and water inlets in a candy blue or red.

In the process now. Will post some pics eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 710XX
+3mm HotRods stroker crank
CP 11:1 piston
Port & Polish (myself)
HotCam 3
Velocity intake
Barker exhaust (w/ QC and sparky)
PCV (dyno tuned)
Pro Armor nerf bars, Kenda Kutters (x4), CCP stabalizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
What kit did you buy? how well does it work, and what are you using for an oven? have been considering it myself after paying around $600 for the coating on my 250R resto project.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq
post #3 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
good luck all the side cases are gonna get messed up during hard core riding is this goin to be a show quad or a regular use quad imo it is not going to last against the elements thats why your local guy wouldnt do it, wait until your first mud ride after all that nice powdercoating it will be messed up unless you ride dunes only just my opinion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear

post #4 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Sid

easystreet,
Go for it. It is going to look great. Don't forget lots and lots of pictures.
Sid
post #5 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Powder coat if applied right, will outlast any paint, including factory paint by a long shot.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq
post #6 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM

KASH 2011

Last edited by EEHonda; 02-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM

yeah i know its a better deal and all that but it wiil still get chipped and rubbed and all that i have powder coated bumpers six packrack front rims, exhaust cannister and wont do it again the new wears off too quick i dont care how clean you keep your quad unless you dont ride it!

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #8 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM

KASH 2011

Last edited by EEHonda; 02-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEHonda View Post
I agree on the cases for sure. Polishing them is more time consuming, but stands up better IMO.
yeah if i ever refinish my sidecases, they would be polished,if i ever go that way which will be soon as all the gold has rubbed off from the factory fake obake powdercoat and like you said the sides of the frame where our boots hit too guess ill go black back there

post #10 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM

I powder coat.

Whoever is saying is doesn't hold up is wrong or they had sh*t quality jobs done. Or it wasn't prepped right.

If it is sandblasted to make a rough surface and then pre-baked to take out oils and residues and then the correct powder is used with proper thickness recommended and then the perfect cook/cure time at the proper temperature it is incredibly durable.

I have done foot pegs that u can't barely even c scratches after two full seasons of riding. No chipping or gouges at all. I have also done tunnel braces on a snowmobile where ur feet always r and they were done with white. Just saw the sled after over 2000 miles and barely even a scratch in it.

I have done bumpers, side cases, frames etc. powder coat is amazing.

There r a ton of variables but when learned and perfected u can't beat it.

Any if those steps I listed above left out it not done right and yes I can have powder that will peel up, chip, or won't last. Just like anything if its done incorrectly.

Honda

TPC Trikes

RNS Powdercoating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode