Diet for the xx - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diet for the xx

I read a little bit about saving weight on this pig. I know Baxter knows probably the most about it but from searching and reading I could only see about 25 to 30 lbs savings happening with basic removal of things and lighter shocks etc. has anyone actually figured out why this thing weighs more than say a raptor 700? I know everyone says its the IRS but is is been actually weighed compared to say a raptor solid rear? I can't believe the IRS is adding that much more weight. I can see it adding some but 100ish pounds more? There's got to be something. Is it the frame. Maybe this winter I'll tear my bike down and try to so some weight comparisons to my brothers raptor 700 if he lets me tear it down. And get some real numbers.

-Oregon-
2008 Honda TRX 700xx
13T Front Sprocket (going back to 14t for sand)
Airbox lid delete
Spark arrester delete
10' rear DWT blue label with paddle for sand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I figured out how to shed a lot of weight from my XX. It is easy to find and 100% guaranteed to make your machine go really fast.
SLIM FAST.
IMHO
Sid
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would guess it is a combination of the IRS (and related frame components) and Honda's centered drive chain design.

Currently: 400ex, Lexx MXe, K&N w/outerwears
Outlaw 525 IRS

Save the Oregon Dunes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Think about the IRS, two A-arms are probably about the weight of a swing arm, you have twice the shocks, plus where the chain and sprocket are, that whole assembly probably weighs as much as a swing arm. Plus the frame goes back farther on the XX so you can mount everything to. Plus as Rkangel said, the center drive probably adds some.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Honda basically added weight every where for strength and mainly reliability. There's not something you can take off and suddenly loose 20lbs (within reason). When you compare the 700xx parts to say a TRX450r parts , you relise how Honda beefed alot of products up. Like 700xx front spindles and hubs are roughly 3/4lb heavier than the 450r ones and removing 4th , 5th gear completely plus a few tweeks removes 2lbish from the gearbox. I'll get some pics up later of a 700xx first gear and a 05 450r first gear . There's a big differance and as for a diet on the 700xx , it can be done, I think close to a stock Raptor weight. That's the goal anyway. Starting the build in the off season.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
[/URL]

Sprocket #1 is reverse,#2 is 1st in a 700xx and #3 1st in a 450r.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Baxter,
Thanks for the comparison of the gears. That difference is truly significant. I am amazed at the huge amount of web material on the XX gears. The shaft size is way different. I've never seen a side-by-side of anything internal to the XX.
Thanks,
Sid
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clearly shows where the meat was added! Wow no wonder mine has been iron clad so far. Something I just bought that shocked the crap out of me is a lithium ion style battery, it is crazy light and cranks like mad. I will let everyone know about longevity, but it shaved a lot of weight for sure.

2008 TRX700 - Tusk Aluminum Hand Guards, ODI Rouge Grips, American Star Chromoly Tie Rods, 12T front, ITP 10" Rims with custom 4-leaf clover reinforcement, 22" Razr2's Front and Rear, Moose Fat Peg Nerf bars, GT Thunder Rear re-valve/dual rate setup

Immortal 1995 fourtraxx 300 2WD that has survived everything but armageddon

Husky TE450 street ride - stock with some new plastics

1974 Yamaha DT 125 project
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM

I had a Poooolaris 525 IRS and it only weighed about #400. But it was a continually broken POS. I am guessing that the weight added on the XX is not necessarily the IRS but elsewhere in the frame, stronger engine/trans components.

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I like seeing the comparison of the gears but would truly like to see them compared to a 700r gears since try are more alike in terms of engine displacement size. I just don't know if the IRS on the xx compared to the solid axle on the 700r is a lot of weight difference. I would like to see them both weighed individually too see what difference the IRS to its solid axle is. Just curious is all. I think I might take my xx and my brothers 700r to a weight station to get a weight on each. Anyone know how precise those highway weigh stations are when weighing something under 1000lbs?

-Oregon-
2008 Honda TRX 700xx
13T Front Sprocket (going back to 14t for sand)
Airbox lid delete
Spark arrester delete
10' rear DWT blue label with paddle for sand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode