New to the 700xx - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the 700xx

Hey everyone, I decided to join this forum because I am probably going to be buying a 700xx any day now. It's a 2008 with "supposedly" 5 hours on it. Judging by the picks it does look pretty clean but I'm sure it has more ride time then that.
I'm just wondering if there is anything that I should watch out for in the 08. I know it's the first yr but are these things as reliable as the rest of my Honda fleet? This will be my first Honda sport quad besides a 250 ex but I have a rincon, rubicon a cr125 and a crf450r. All of them have been pretty good to me which is why I wanted to go with the 700xx.
I don't really care about the performance or handling as I trust that it will be flawless and plenty powerful for me but I do worry about the reliability of a first yr model. Is it expensive and a PITA to care for or can I get away with oil changes and basic maintenance and ride it for 10 yrs. I don't beat the crap out of any machine so that won't really come into play. Just mildly aggressive riding from time to time but mostly steady cruising.

Sorry about the length of this post and thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
They only made these for two years, and they are as reliable as they come. Hardly anyone has had any real issues. The maintenance on it is the same as your 4x4's, same oil filter too. No where near as high maintenance as the crf450. I think you will be very impressed. Just be sure to change the oil, check the valves, and have fun. There is a thread on here for what to check when you first get it, as some have had problems, like the mud scrapers and the petcock for the gas being backwards. All minor stuff. Very few have blown them up, which I did mine do to submerging a little too far in water. Other than that, very few problems. Hardest thing is wheels/tires, and the difference in feel between a SRA and a IRS. If you pull the trigger, with out a doubt you will love it considering I have most of the same "other Hondas" as you.

Chuck

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I couldn't find much about problems with the bikes but just wanted to make sure. I'm glade to hear that the maintenance isnt really an issue either as that is something I learned to love about all Hondas.
I'm probably going to look at one tomorrow and if all goes right then I should have it and be driving it this weekend. Thanks for the response man

post #4 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Good to see your in upstate also, I figured it would be a good fit for this type of terrain in NY
post #5 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Garage
If/when you go look at the bike, grab the right rear axle and shake it. Check for play, if low hours like they say it's probably fine. Add removing right rear axle and lubing the inboard joints to your maintenance list. Usually you can tell low hours by the oem tires, atleast most would not replace the tires with the junk/over priced dunlops.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Some like great advice, thanks man, buy why is it only the right side? Also have you or anyone else had an trouble with the stock air filters sucking in a lot of dirt? Seems to be one of the only things I'm hearing but I'm not really sure how true that is
post #7 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 PM

The stock filter is just like all the other Honda quads. A lot of guys get the UNIs. Foam filter is the best IMO. Where in upstate are you? I actually am in the southern tier, so not really upstate.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Im in Norwich , it's about 40 miles from binghamton in Central New York
post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondar24 View Post
Some like great advice, thanks man, buy why is it only the right side? Also have you or anyone else had an trouble with the stock air filters sucking in a lot of dirt? Seems to be one of the only things I'm hearing but I'm not really sure how true that is
As far as the right side axle, there has been a few problem's occurring with whats called the inboard joints. The right joint goes inside the left, like the right is the male and the left is the female. This is not a cv joint issue, but a good idea to check those on both sides as well.

As for the stock filter, I don't see how it would pass dirt. It is far more restrictive than the uni filter, which is what most people use. And they work well if cleaned and oiled as needed.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondar24 View Post
Im in Norwich , it's about 40 miles from binghamton in Central New York
No kidding, I am in Greene LOL. Small world. We will have to get together sometime. We tend to ride sometimes from Smithville over to the OUTPOST, on 220 just outside of Oxford, plus a few other bars up towards Balsam. If you want help taking a look at it, I've had mine since it first came out. I wouldn't mind helping ya out. I have to head to Norwich one night this week anyway to hit Country Max. My name is Chuck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode