In an effort to make a positive suggestion I'm thinking a rules section/sticky might be helpful to the forum. Every large forum I participate on has one and I believe it helps keep things running smoothly. By setting the expectations early on with clear language and clear consequences you allow the forum members to police themselves taking pressure off the moderating staff. Additionally, you allow the moderating staff to have a clear path to take when someone steps outside the rules.
One of the most successful powersports forums on the web is www.advrider.com
. They have 471,066 threads, 13,155,326 posts and 147,500 registered users. As of this posting there are over 2500 people logged onto the site. Baldy (Chris) and his staff do a great job of keeping that place from turning into the wild west. They do it by having rules stickies at the top of every forum. The rules are clear and the consequences for breaking the rules are hard and fast. They strive to have users that respect each other which makes it an amazing resource for all things powersports.
Here's an example of their ruleset:
If you see a problem click the "report this" link and we will look into it.
When an item is sold it helps us by putting in ***SOLD*** in the first line of the first post so we can mark your ad accordingly
Old ads get deleted every 30-45 days.
If you fail to meet the simple rules, the ad gets removed. We do not have time to point out each failed ad, so if your ad vanishes check the rules before re-posting.
- If it is not yours, you cannot sell it here.
- No outside links, ebay, craigslist, autotrader etc, if you mention it and just don't post the link we will treat it the same and remove the thread.
- No price in title, if you put a price in the title we will just nuke the thread. Only mods can change the title of a thread so think before posting.
- Each ad needs location and price, pics are optional but your ad will be much better if they have them. Attachments are wonky it may work, but it may not, better to host from an online photo site like smugmug.
Here is how you do it.
- No bumping your thread within 5 days, we may remove the bump or we may remove the entire thread.
- Multi item sales (3 or more of the same item) go in vendors, if we find one it is gone. We have a vendors forum.
- Spam -this gets nuked and you get banned
- No posting of PMs or private info - instant ban
- No firearms or related items allowed, this includes illegal weapons of course.
- This is not JM, JM type posts will be removed and the inmate will be banned
Lets keep it nice and about the sale. Helping each other out vs. making a profit is what this is about.
Remember this place is free of charge so if you sell something, don't forget the donate button to keep it going.
Hope this helps.