California OHV areas under eco-freak fire! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
pissed California OHV areas under eco-freak fire!

If you all think that this is only a California problem and does not affect me. You'd be way wrong. These are just opening shots in the eco-freak war to close OHV areas nation wide. Story below...

An Alameda County judge has ruled that a local park must close trails to off-roaders until it comes up with a plan to limit pollution that ends up in Corral Hollow Creek.

Two environmental groups have 150 days from the ruling Dec. 8 to turn the ruling over to state parks officials, who must then bar riders from using the Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area.

In September, the California Sportfishing Alliance and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility sued the state, saying Carnegie had no permit from a state water board to allow pollution to flow into the creek, which is completely dry during vast stretches of the year.

The judge’s ruling has baffled state parks officials, who will fight to overturn or postpone the ruling “in order to keep this park open,” said parks spokesman Roy Stearns.

State parks officials say they’ve done everything they can to limit sediment that pours into the creek while balancing park use at the same time.

But that’s not how the environmental groups see it.

They argue motorcyclists have carved a snaking web of trails into hillsides that, during rainstorms, turn into gushing rivulets of mud that cascade into the already-polluted creek.

“The department of recreation thinks they are above the law,” said Bill Jennings, head of the Sportfishing Alliance. “Nothing is being asked of them that isn’t asked of anyone else.”

The park was created in the 1970s and has become phenomenally popular with dirt bike riders seeking adventure. More than 140,000 riders used the park last year, said park Superintendent Joe Ramos.

Parks officials admit riders contribute to sediment in Corral Hollow Creek, and they restrict crossing the creek during storms to cut what flows downstream. Today, riders were seen riding through the muddy creek bottom, which was already drying out from the weekend’s storm.

Where the heavy metals come from is a bit of a mystery, though neighbors in the watershed who surround the park undoubtedly add to the creek’s pollution problems.

There are two nearby research laboratories that test outdoor explosives, and ranchers in the area have cattle. San Francisco water officials have bored tunnels into hillsides for the pipeline that delivers water from Hetch Hetchy reservoir. Tailings from abandoned mines have been identified. Runoff from a county road is believed to add to the creek’s woes as well. And a massive brick factory once sat in the middle of the creek bed where Carnegie now is.

“What it speaks to is how complicated this issue is, and this watershed is” said Daphne Green, a spokeswoman for the state parks off-highway division.

If the judge’s ruling sticks, the park will have to come up with a plan to further limit pollution and sediment and get a permit from the State Water Quality Control Board.

Those who use and work at the park have heard rumors of a possible off-road ban, and they hate to think they could be shut out, even temporarily.

“This is my home, and it’s frustrating,” said Kevin Porter, who been riding at Carnegie since the 1970s. “Now when I ride, it’s like my last day here.”

Tony Shipman owns Motor-Mart, a business inside the park’s gates. He and his employees would be devastated by a ban on riding.

“We rely on this business,” he said. “We’re really in the dark about what’s going on here, and we’re waiting to find out.”

A little background on this particular area... The state was able to buy the area because it was polluted from it's prior use and it would not be suitable for other uses. Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for the environment, but this isn't about the environment. It's about getting rid of off roaders and the environment is just the tool that they are using. Thing is that getting rid of the off roaders here won't make any difference. The creek will still get run off from the already polluted land... just that the off roaders will be gone, which is what they want.

OHV areas are just the start. These eco organizations also want to close off lakes and rivers to recreational boating because of pollution concerns. Example: Lake Berryessa and Tahoe. Is your favorite off road area next? Think that an area is OK because it's a private area not public land? Think again! Think desert areas are safe because there's no water pollution concerns because no water? Then they use another tool... endangered species act. Think I'm really out there and all of this is far fetched. Think again. They're already doing it and have been doing it for some time. But, don't believe me, check it out for yourself.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Last edited by roadkill; 12-18-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's true, our environment is under attack from the worst infestation in history. The modern Tree Hugger, they cling to the tree in a sadistic hugging fashion stranglulating the tree. These enviromentalist parasites scarre and deface the bark of the tree with their chains they use to secure them selves with and even worse yet; they contaminate the soil around the tree with their feces and urine, refusing to leave their post even for a minute.
To defeat this threat, we need not confront them on common ground; but flank them from their blind side and expose their gross misgivings. Tax cheating, Hypocracy or fraudulant behavior they have skeletons to hide which is why they point a finger at someone else.
I live in probably the least atv friendly state in the union, NY. places to ride are scarce. Losing any ride area would be a blow even if it's 3,000 miles away.

08 TRX700XX
88 LT500R QUADZILLA
06 DVX400 (Son's)
06 TRX250EX (Wife's)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Also under attack here in California are: Prairie City SVRA, Hollister Hills SVRA and Oceano Dunes SVRA.

Prairie City used to be a rocket engine test site and before it was used for that, it was used for mine tailings from nearby rock and gravel mines... as well as "other" types of mines. Also is the home of "Hangtown" national event MX track.

Oceano Dunes is the BEST beach dune riding on the west coast. Not as large of an area as Oregon Dunes, but bigger dunes. This area is under attack because of snowy plover nesting. Thing is that much of the dunes are already preserved for the nesting and are fenced off. But the eco-freaks started a law suit because they found one dead plover on the beach that had been run over by off road vehicles. My take on that is that the plover was not killed by ATVs... it was already dead or it would've gotten out of the way of the ATVs. It's really hard to run over a bird on the road... they fly away before you get to them. This is one area where the eco-freaks are getting a fight. The towns that are right there make almost their entire living off the10s of thousands of off roaders who ride there every year. Bottom line here is: Ban off road vehicles on the dunes and you might as well shut down 3 towns because their economy can't survive without the off roaders. Here, the towns and the off roaders are fighting the eco-freaks.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters

post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 AM

pissed OHV and Eco freaks

The river creek runoff is just an ends to a means to get us out of there. Like the Milkweed at Glamis. If the milkweed was to be growing in the middle of their lawn they would spray it with Roundup. If Gladding McBean were still getting clay or whatever they mined from Carnegie I wonder how they would fight it. Seems like we should be grandfathered in there. People have been riding there since the 60's maybe earlier. If the creek runoff works then I can see other riding areas with streams etc getting the same type of lawsuits. I left my quadracer in the back country there for 3 days once in 1987 when i wrecked it and nobody even disturbed the gear i left it was so remote. ABout 17 years ago I attended several workshops about Mammoth Bar expansion. Big Fat guy from state OHV said it was a win win as they just needed to decide how much was gonna be for horses etc and how much for us. I told him BS becasue we havent wont, and didnt anything in land the last 30 years. Carnegie bought a bunch of land about 5 or 6 years back to expand, did that happen yet? I don't think so. it all sucks.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #6 of 8 Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Here is the tool they have been using to get rid of Desert riding areas

http://www.deserttortoise.gov/

good read:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25804
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 03:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
You know I'm all for trying to preserve the enviroment but that is ridiculous.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2009, 05:54 PM

great idea, close all the OHV areas... then people will be riding where you really dont want them to. you wanna close my ohv areas? then reimburse me for my purchase, including the taxes i paid, or ill be riding in your backyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode