Chappie-Shasta OHV area in Nor. California - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chappie-Shasta OHV area in Nor. California

My brother and I are headed to Chappie-Shasta OHV area (BLM in California) in early May.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/reddi...onohvmain.html

This is our first trip here and we can't wait. My brother lives in Los Angeles and I live in Washington so it's a good half-way meeting point.

Anyone been here before or have any info on it?

My brother has a Polaris Predator 500 so I plan to poke fun at him quite a bit as long as I can outride him.

Anyway, any info on Chappie-Shasta would be great. 2 days travel, 5 days riding.

2008 TRX 700XX
FMF 4.1 Factory Full System
UNI Air Filter
Renthal 13T Front Sprocket
Pro-Armor Dominator Black Front Bumper
Maxxis RAZR2 23x7x10 Front Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've been there many times and the riding is great. However, you have to cross the top of Shasta Dam to get to the main staging area. This used to require a permit to cross as it is a major dam. Right now, all you need is a DL and registration for your vehicle. But, they are in the process of re-writing the permit process. It might be wise to call before you come down to the Bureau of Reclamation at (530) 275-1554... they control access to the dam. If a permit is again required when you come down, be aware that it might take 10 days to get one.

The link below has more info on the Shasta area.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_0e84.htm

Be sure to post when you go.... you might get some company from the forum. I live in SF, Remington lives right up there and at least 2 other are in the area as well.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info roadkill.

I knew about the dam crossing permit. Would have been a bummer to get there and have them require one again.

I've got myquad licensed and registered here in Washington.

Do you know if I will still be required to get a non-resident orange permit from California? I read all I could on the California OHV site and it said if I have a valid ohv permit from my home state I didn't need one but I'd hate to get there and find out I needed one,they are only like $30 so it's not a big cost. Washington is on the list of states that reciprocate with the ohv permits.

I'll definitely post when we are going to be there and where. It will be in Early May sometime. Like the 8th through the 12th of May.

2008 TRX 700XX
UNI Air Filter

post #4 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM

"Washington is on the list of states that reciprocate with the ohv permits."

That's you key... you accept ours and we accept yours. I was able to ride in Washington with my California ohv permit. The non-resident permit is only for people from states that either don't require ohv permits or that don't honor our permits. You should be fine. But, when in any kind of doubt... call Cal's ohv division to make sure.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

post #5 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM

thats my territory there! dont have to go over damn can go in through keswick dam and ride in fron the bottom. when we cross the damn they just check our drivers licence and inspect our stuff pretty simple get a map you will get lost there are a lot of trails up there also the rocks will eat your tires alive just warring have slashed three up there myself. its also somwhat restricted the french camp side is nolonger ridable. will try and post some pices or check out reddingdirtriders for pics we do the new years poker run every year

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #6 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM

pics of shasta ohv

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
post #7 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 AM

waving

Freakin Beautiful

08 700xx....Turkey Bay Rider....

post #8 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
thats my territory there! dont have to go over damn can go in through keswick dam and ride in fron the bottom. when we cross the damn they just check our drivers licence and inspect our stuff pretty simple get a map you will get lost there are a lot of trails up there also the rocks will eat your tires alive just warring have slashed three up there myself. its also somwhat restricted the french camp side is nolonger ridable. will try and post some pices or check out reddingdirtriders for pics we do the new years poker run every year
I kinda figured that you'd have the latest and best dope on Shasta. It's in your backyard after all. I've never been in from the south... How is the ride from the south entrance to the dam area? Is the fire road from the dam that winds up the west side of the lake and has nice views of the lake still open? Kinda looks like some of your pics were taken on that road.

roadkill

R. Waters

post #9 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM

its not bad about 6mi to dam just good dirt roads mostly truck accessible too. yeah i havent heard back yet thats the road thats suppose to be closed but they let us ride it for the poker runs. i will try to find out more. the pics up in the clouds are on top of bohimatosh mt. lots of good vies up there but its a climb either way but hey nothing scares the xx.lol

post #10 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Now I can't wait till May. Pictures are great, thanks for posting them.

Looks like it could be a great week.

2008 TRX 700XX
UNI Air Filter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode