Pottsville PA - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pottsville PA

Well beside my back being sore, old man, lol! The ride was great, could not believe how smooth the suspension was while driving thru the trails, it's like if you were floating over the rutts and bumps, oh! yeah! the front end is very easy to bring up which is great when you want bypass a puddle. This is my third Honda; 2X 400 EX and this is the best, now the only complain is the exhaust way too hot especially if you're riding in shorts, Sun too hot for pants but did find a company that will ceramic heat treat my exhaust for $45 so I'm thinking about it, draw back is that it will take 1.5 week. Just ordered a gps so I don't get lost, too many trails up there which is great if you know the area. Overall, very happy

Oh! Yeah! web site for Ceramic treatment is www.hmelliott.com look under coatings, perhaps if we have someone in the club that is an excellent dealer, we might be able to get a group/club price but $45 is pretty good can't really complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about exhaust wrap?

I agree.. I went the pants route to avoid burns.. PIPE gets VERY HOT..

I think I lost 12 lbs because of the jeans, in the sand, under the hot sun with no cover.

Are you going chrome or black? Also, I have not removed the exhaust yet, but on my old bike the connecty ring thing that bolts onto the manifold was "part" of the exhaust.

Can you slip this one off? I was wondering if it would get in the way.

Also, is the mid pipe easy to disconnect from the silencer?

I think this is an awesome idea.... Shorts.. Heck, I would have paid $100 to wear shorts last weekend.

P.S. I plan to go up to camp ziggy some time after the 4th of july weekend.. Organized ride should be a great way to find the best spots.

Last edited by double_0_xx; 04-28-2009 at 10:52 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They offer 2 colors, black or silver which I'll go for the silver one just to be different and they replied back and $45 seemed about the right price except for shipping cost but I'll send a return slip with it. Yeah the flange does not come off but I'm pretty sure they'll be able to work around it and if not I'll tell them not to add the ceramic to the last .5" near the head. As far as July, I'm all book up (vacations) perhaps June or August.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 AM

let me know how it works out. I was reading about the process, can the target areas? It seems like they polish the pipe with beads after the "magic" has been applied. I wonder if this will screw with the flange. Maybe black is a different process...

.. I can ride in August as well. Let me know when you are headed up.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
ara

Are you guys talking about the stock exhaust getting hot, or an after market uint?

I just installed the FMF 4.1 and powerbomb on yesterday and the PCIII....finally after about 8 weeks of putting off untill tomorrow.

I was thinking of mounting the stock header plate on the FMF header for some heat protection.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
ara

mounting the stock header plate with a sliver reflective taped behind it...the tape will be between the header and the plate.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
I burned holes in my riding pants without a guard on my FMF Header, I'll end up having mine coated as well.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Silver tape and exhaust wrap may do the trick... what kind of tape is it, and where can you get it? I noticed they placed some of that tape near the plastics and exhaust.

I wonder if I fabricated something up like a thing piece of sheet metal from top to bottom tastefully done and welded to the existing shield.. with reflective tape on the inside. Would it overheat the engine?

After all is said, might be cheaper to go the coating.. plus the added benefit of heat retention in an exhaust.. plus covering for longevity.

Count me in.. maybe a group buy with reduced shipping. Why not, $5 is $5 saved..

I also called and spoke with dena. They can actually do the ENTIRE exhaust including the silencer for under $100.. as long as the silencer is welded to the pipe and no holes. They could plug the outside.

Would look pretty trick with the silencer/muffler coated, and would be great protection for the plastics. Interesting indeed...

Last edited by double_0_xx; 04-29-2009 at 02:27 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
ara

[quote=double_0_xx;8185]Silver tape and exhaust wrap may do the trick... what kind of tape is it, and where can you get it? I noticed they placed some of that tape near the plastics and exhaust.

I had some of this tape laying around. Try McCasters....they sell anything and everything hardware related.

Here is a photo of what I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg header plate.jpg (55.4 KB, 9 views)
post #10 of 14 Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
ara

sorry, thats Mcmaster.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode