LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to the_hawk
sit or stand, xc and baja recers input

like all of us i like and strive to improov on my own riding technique ( if thats spelled right ) and when i ride with others i also observe how they "attack" a hill climb or a burm or what ever it may be.

but somthing that i cannot figure out is when to sit or stand when going acrost certin hills or wash outs or woops.

i can think of a peticular road i ride it has a vary deep dip about 7" or so deep that goes all the way acrost the road and is about 2 feet wide...

when i hit this i stand up and the quad dives down in it so hard when it comes back up the wheels leave the ground about an inch or so.... should i sit or stand ? i stand and it feels right but ????

another section i can think of is when i go up this " no winter maintaince" hill their is a huge wash out with a series of " rippling bumps that stretch acrost the road and their is a huge rock it sticks out of the ground 6 inches and is about 15" wide..... i sit when i hit this cause their is a sharp curve after it and i roost threw the curve

when are the proper times to sit and stand ? i see gncc racers almost always sitting down

iam pretty confused over this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm no racer but I NEVER ride sittin down, always in "ATTACK POSITION" no matter the speed or terrian. If was comin over the obstacle that u described I would lean back a bit and PIN it to lift the front wheels and let the back ones go in and soak it up!

700XX CRAZY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HMF Ballance slip-on
PCIII w/"BO MAP"
Outerwear Lid Mod (by me)
Trail Tech Riser
Chub Bars
HONDA Bar Pad
RAZR2 Fronts
RAZR Rears
Elephant Ear Hand Guards(LOL)

Last edited by 700xx crazy; 08-05-2009 at 11:27 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm no racer but I'm fairly experienced and here's what I do:

Woops: I usually hit these at WOT and get as far back on the quad as possible so the front end can float over the tops of the woops by just barely contacting them.

Hill Climbs: I've gotten VERY comfortable and can climb hills with the best. For this I never EVER sit down and try to be very aware of my ride position in relation to where I'm at on the hill and how hard the quad is working. Momentum is the key for hill climbing, plan your route and be ready to bail if you need to. Parts are cheap compared to Doctors bills. ( as you are painfully aware)

The only time I sit is when I'm cruising or I need to lower my center of gravity like in a turn. I also use the standing position as it allows me to use my legs to absorb some of the shock of a depression in the trail or something like that. Also, I use my throttle to help with this and I blip my throttle when I encounter something like this so the rear shocks take the compression and I can put the shock rebound at bay by keeping a load on them.

I hope this helps.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 PM

If you can, it is always beter to sit. Helps with fatigue in long races.

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Brawley Radiator & Glass, Sand Posse, Imperial Valley Cycle Center, Scott Goggles, PowerMadd, CP Pistons, Graffik Graffiti, OMF, GoPro, Elka, Houser Racing, Fly Racing, Big Gun Exhaust and Renthal.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700xx crazy View Post
I'm no racer but I NEVER ride sittin down, always in "ATTACK POSITION" no matter the speed or terrian. If was comin over the obstacle that u described I would lean back a bit and PIN it to lift the front wheels and let the back ones go in and soak it up!

your talking about that big dip ?...... hmm never though of that but i could try it tomarrow
post #6 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM

from what i have learned, and from my technique.... it's kinda like a mixture of both... this is just my opinion, and how i am comfortable in situations like this... when i hit whoops, rocks, rutted or just messed up terrain, don't back off the throttle and kinda lean/sit back... put your weight towards the rear so the front won't dip when you first hit it. your front end will be a little lighter and won't hit so hard and pop up.. i tend to stand up through technical areas, just because your legs act as shocks congruently with your ride, meaning you will ride through it smoother... get my drift??? hope this helps a bit
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Agree with ceballos, I am usually sitting down but if I see an obstacle that can buck me off then I stand in attack position.

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is Iigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hawk View Post
i can think of a peticular road i ride it has a vary deep dip about 7" or so deep that goes all the way acrost the road and is about 2 feet wide...

when i hit this i stand up and the quad dives down in it so hard when it comes back up the wheels leave the ground about an inch or so.... should i sit or stand ? i stand and it feels right but ????

another section i can think of is when i go up this " no winter maintaince" hill their is a huge wash out with a series of " rippling bumps that stretch acrost the road and their is a huge rock it sticks out of the ground 6 inches and is about 15" wide..... i sit when i hit this cause their is a sharp curve after it and i roost threw the curve

when are the proper times to sit and stand ? i see gncc racers almost always sitting down
As mentioned when you stand your legs become your best shocks but you raise your centre of gravity. Think of it as 10" of travel from your bike and another 10" of travel betwen the seat and your backside.

Sitting lowers your centre of gravity (take a look at the MX guys) and makes going around a corner easier and faster as you are more stable.

This is why the GNCC guys sit.......

Desert racers sit whenever they can but standing allows them to hit some pretty big stuff at speed. But you can't stand for a whole race......

Often you see desert racers with taller seats as it means the rider doesn't use as much energy standing up and then sitting down all the time.

Linc
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

hmmm....... thats all intresting........ i guess its a " you have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em" which means i need to get more experiance ( only been riding a total of 4 months since my last quad 5 years or so agao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode