Preparing to race: Physical training? The quad? Pit crew? What do I need to know? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preparing to race: Physical training? The quad? Pit crew? What do I need to know?

I have real desire to enter a Whiplash race this November. The race I want to enter is in Wickenberg,Az, 80-90 miles long in early November. That's basically 5 months away. Lately I've been able to ride 3 or 4 days a week 2-3 hours at a time in really rugged desert conditions. Now that we're clsing in on July though the Arizona desert will not be very accomodating to much time riding. Come early October I can resume riding up to 20 hours a week basically 5 weeks from the race.
Now physically I am 49, 30 lbs too heavy and definately need cardio work. I have been a weight lifter for decades though nowhere near my former level. I also used to run occasionally maybe 5 miles 4 days a week. The key words her are "used to". I don't smoke or drink but eat too much and let my fitness level really drop for the last 5 years.
I am wondering what if anything you guys who race often do to stay in shape? I figure riding often will be a huge advantage as my skills are improving almost daily. But great skills with no endurance are pretty useless in a 3 hour race.
I know I could pace myself but the pace I'd have to set would be maybe ten minutes of all out balls to the wall followed by slowing to a crawl for 5 minutes to get my breath.

The next question I have is about running the race. I know I'll need to add fuel at least once. Is it possible to have a place set up to gas and go without having anyone to help me? I'm new to the area and while I have a friend I ride with occassionally I may not be able to get help.

Finally I will be riding my quad with what you see in my sig. I'd like to do shocks but I may not have the money and I have mine set pretty good stock. I can ride over whoops in 5th gear, climb, do rocks, etc. and the stabilizer and clamps save my a lot of the jarring.

Renthal 13 tooth sprocket
FMF Factory 4.1/Powerbomb header
EHS EFI controller/airbox lid/UNI air filter
Alba Pro Elite nerf bars
Renthal Raptor660 handlebars/ODI Rogue grips/Precision Racing antivibe clamps
CCP steering damper
PRM Desert II bumper/PRM standard grab bar, PRM skidplate
Maxxis Razr 23x7x10 front tires, Kenda Kutter 22x9x11 rear tires
L8ton Racing 9/16 Swaybar
Elka Stage4 front, Fox Podium X rear shocks
Teixeira upper a-arms
Powermadd handguards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long distance racing is awesome and a different skill all of it's own.

I am older than most here, unfit and overweight but enjoy my racing. Time on the seat (any seat) is the best training you can do, it will allow you to find a comfortable pace that you believe in (you know it inside yourself) and make you race fit at the same time.

Running only leads to injury. Overtraining turns an enjoyable pass time into a chore. I cover some of what I did in the thread below - Page 2.

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7&page=3

Can't help you with race day support but racing people are good; contact the assoc and ask if they have a contact for you. Someone will man a jerry can for you.

Linc
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM

I usually do 1 track day and 1 trail riding session alternating each day I go out. MX tracks will help with cardio and leg/back strength and enduro well with technique and endurance. I also do about 7 miles on my mountain bike at least 3 times a week and a hand exerciser (hand crunches). With that I am able to withstand even the longest race here which is 140 miles and takes about 6-7 hours.

2006 Raptor 700
Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox antivibe risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP stabilizer, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms ST, Rap 700 SE front shocks revalved/resprung by Wiigstyle, Fox Podium X rear shock, DWT Drift rear beadlocks, Hiper front beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs and Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper and railer chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swingarm skid plate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is Iigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I masterbate a LOT....for cardio.....JK. You will definately7 want to do a lot of cardio before hand to get in shape. Extra weight isn;t necessarily bad. You just need your cardio up that way you don't have a heart attack on lap 2. I would also try doing cardio w/ your arms, like an arm bike or something, as they will be tired as crap.

Rappy, I agree with you as well, but not everyone can get to the different areas.

I would also say when you are riding, "Pretend like you are racing", I usually stand up 90% of the time, just for more of a work out. I also wouldn't work out the day or two prior to the race, let your body rest.

As for filling up. I would leave the tank in your truck or trailer, and just ride to that, unless you have your wife/gf/buddy/what have you around.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm entering the GNCC this weekend, I was wondering if you think i could get by using my barkers pipe with no inserts. I know the limit is 99db and the barker is 103ish but I mite be able to rev it a little less and get by. Any thoughts?

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

2010 camo Polaris Sportsman 850
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM

It is hard to say, b/c they usually have you go in a booth to be sure your transponder works, and in there the guy will listen to see whether or not he thinks it is too loud, if he does then they usually send you out a little ways to a guy w/ the machine. It depends on how the line goes there, but sometimes you can just ride off between the 2 check points and they will never know. Oh, I can't come now, which sucks, but I have to frigging work. Good luck though.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwh45 View Post
It is hard to say, b/c they usually have you go in a booth to be sure your transponder works, and in there the guy will listen to see whether or not he thinks it is too loud, if he does then they usually send you out a little ways to a guy w/ the machine. It depends on how the line goes there, but sometimes you can just ride off between the 2 check points and they will never know. Oh, I can't come now, which sucks, but I have to frigging work. Good luck though.
Bummer, I'm just gunna run with the quiet core even though i can tell a difference in power between them. I also got a tusk kill switch and that doesnt work either so I put the pro armor back on because it's more of a legit company and maybe they won't suspect it doesn't work. I've also been practicing pulling the cord and sliding my thumb to make it look like it works. Oh one more thing, what time should I get there saturday morning? I was thinking 7 because thats when registration starts or maybe a little earlyer like 6:30.

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM

You should get there earlier, b/c the line will be huge, and if you want to watch any of the morning races, you wouldn't be able to. There will be over a 1000 people trying to register, and considering you need to get your AMA card and everything, it will take longer for you. Do you have a number plate for the front of your quad, and then you will need stickers for the back fender, but you should be able to buy those at a number of vendors that will be there. The thing with getting there earlier is ROUTE 8 will probably be jam packed with people going to the event as there is only one road in and out of the place, and then you will have to find a place to park, and you and all your buddies will have to single file line in your vehicles and pay $10 a person to get in more than likely, so it takes time to do all that. If you are taking a big truck or whatever, I'd hide people in the back to save some money LMAO. Good luck man, wish I was going.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks, it's only my dad and I going and I'll tell you what happened when I get back. Can't wait to hear a Yoshy on rev limiter behind me and see a yellow blurr go past. If you follow GNCC, you know what I'm talking about.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX700XXX View Post
Thanks, it's only my dad and I going and I'll tell you what happened when I get back. Can't wait to hear a Yoshy on rev limiter behind me and see a yellow blurr go past. If you follow GNCC, you know what I'm talking about.

So....how'd you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode