User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AMA D38 - Chicken Trax's Desert Scramble

Here's my quick story...

I spent the week before the race prepping and getting ready for this round. The date was set for the 3rd of Oct. to start off this 16 mile course at 8am. The good thing was that it had been raining so I thought it wouldn't be too bad to have a short course. Well I was wrong...

The morning started off well, as I made sure to set the alarm this time. I was up by 3am, and on the freeway by 4:30am with plenty of time to spare. So as I'm driving out of San Diego, into the mountains, it starts raining. Ok, not a big deal. Well, I've really never been in a thunderstorm before, and must admit, it was crazy. Lightning flashing constantly! I swear I thought I was going to get hit by one, lol. What a sight!!!

I hit the pits right at 6am, and for a minute, thought the race would be postponed. Glad it wasn't. So I jump off the truck, register, and find my way through the pits to where my buddies were. It's great when you're there early. I got to go over the start multiple times, and picked the right line for it. 8am swings around, and here we go.

The banner drops, and to my never-ending luck, the quad didn't start. I get it going, and come out 4th/5th off the bomb. Not too bad, so I play it steady, and pace the riders in front of me. At about mile marker 5, I see my opportunity, and pick off two riders. As soon as I did, the course took a change. This was the most whooped out, muddy, and tiring course I've encountered! No wonder they made it so short.

As tiring as it was, I got through the first lap at a good pace. This always happens with me... I feel like I'm about to give up on the first lap, but then my legs and arms warm up, and I'm ready for more. I pick up the pace for the second lap and develop a good gap between riders. So I pick it up some more to make sure there's enough time, and pass a few more riders.

Started my third lap feeling great! Halfway through it, I was starting to feel the heat. It got so hot all of a sudden, and I started slowing down a bit. I swear this was a brutal course. Usually, I'm the "big guy" who can't keep up, but this day even some of the top riders agreed, lol. However, I kept it steady, and moved forward towards the last stretch of the course. Checkered flag comes out, and I'm done.

Overall, it was a short day, short course, but very challenging for me. This course wasn't the fastest, but I'm glad I made it through, and glad that even though I was exhausted, I kept a steady pace! The XX was once again flawless. Not a single problem! Thanks to the host Chicken Bones for putting on a challenging course and sticking it out through the storms so they could do this for us.

So now, these last couple of days, I've been a little anxious. Just waiting for these results to come out. Never really been anxious, but for some reason I was. Well, they came out today and am glad that I placed 1st in class... Big boys CAN get a trophy in these races!

Here is some helmet cam footage from the overall winner. I swear, I don't know how these guy just fly over things and some of the saves they do. This guy has talent!

Last edited by ceballos; 10-07-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM

You.... "thought the race would be postponed"!!!
I guess you didn't race the "National" it was raining with rivers flowing throw the washes and the race went on!!!

Congrats on finishing, I see you got some of my pictures!!/Rd crossing next race.
I will be working check 1

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Brawley Radiator & Glass, Sand Posse, Imperial Valley Cycle Center, Scott Goggles, PowerMadd, CP Pistons, Graffik Graffiti, OMF, GoPro, Elka, Houser Racing, Fly Racing, Big Gun Exhaust and Renthal.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ceballos,
Congratulations on the 1st in your class. If the quad course was anything like that video of the motorcycles you really put in a tough ride. Thanks for the video. After seeing that, I think I need a nap. That was some riding.
Congrats again.
Sid

post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM

We all race on the same course!!! There is four starting lines Exp/Am... M/C then about 1min after that Exp/Am... Quads. Min after that Nov/Beg... M/C then another min and the last line Nov/Beg... Quads.

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Brawley Radiator & Glass, Sand Posse, Imperial Valley Cycle Center, Scott Goggles, PowerMadd, CP Pistons, Graffik Graffiti, OMF, GoPro, Elka, Houser Racing, Fly Racing, Big Gun Exhaust and Renthal.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I was at the National, but I meant because of the lightning! I thought it would be a safety issue or something, lol...

Sid, thanks! And yes, we run the same course. That video doesn't do the course justice. It was rough!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
When I was 17 I did a MX race at Unadilla Valley NY where the gravity cavity drop was all water, I mean you landed in litterally 2 feet of water, and it was lightning like mad. Someone asked about postponing, and their response "if you don't have to balls to ride in the lighting, sack your stuck up and go home!" LOL. Congrats on the first place. What class are you running, is their age brackets and stuff as well? I wish I raced at places like this, all of my xc racing is in the tight woods, never get out of 3rd gear. This looks amazing.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrat's on the win. Course looked like fun. I need to make it down to a D38 race one of these days.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode