xc advice pls - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xc advice pls

Hi all , what kind of stuff do you guys carry for the bike on an xc type event?
So for I have the below
Co2
Tyre repair kit
Tow rope
Hammer (bent rims)
tape
fuses
tie wraps
Simple tools

Any known weak parts or points the trx has?

Has anyone made a spare wheel mount? Im seriously thinking about it. It wouldnít take much longer changing a wheel than plugging a badly torn one or hammering straight a bent rim and the stockers arenít so heavy. Also the pcd for front and rear is the same so 1 front spare could be used front or rear if required. Thoughts? Imagine the confidence you would get if you knew you had a spare wheel on board! Tireballs etc are too pricey for me.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
depends on what type ya doin.
Most xc in the UK are 5-8 mile loops and everything I need are in the pits.
Are you doing loops or start to finish ?
No loops.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

only baxter? or was everybody out riding like they're supposed to be???
anyways thanks but slit rear tire 10km into practice ride yesterday, just when i decided it was time to open the throttle (new bike / run in).
so race is out the window. this one was a short 25km and 50km loop and so expected to be mega rough.

at this point i feel really conned, or i didnt make an informed decision. the trx it seems was built for the show room floor where many have done a stirling job.

the msrp (is that spelt right?) has naturally albeit slowly come to its correct level at 3500usd i believe (note to honda).
pity i and others paid more than that.

after that you need to have corrected the castor/camber, bought 20th century suspension and tires that are thicker than 2ply toilet paper, you can now take it out of the showroom and risk riding it amongst other manufacturers equipment of comparable price.

heres a pic of my headache

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
depends on what type ya doin.
Most xc in the UK are 5-8 mile loops and everything I need are in the pits.
Are you doing loops or start to finish ?
No loops.
Here in California the XC racing (SCCS) is on a 5mi (approx) loop. All the repair stuff is left in the pits... It's only extra weight in a timed event. By the time you plugged a tire, the race would be over. As for a tow rope... Who would tow you?? The other riders are in a race and won't give you a tow. After the race, a sweeper is sent out to make sure the course is clear and everyone gets back in... that's you tow... they go out prepared to tow people back in. As for things like zip ties, fuses and tape... and your under seat tool kit. All of that is small/light and can fit under your seat. However, finding your problem and fixing... fuse, tape up, zip tie something, may take more time than you have. But, at least you won't need to be towed back in.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Last edited by roadkill; 06-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

there are those like frinds and back markers that would tow you out of a mud hole or ditch, spare you some fuel etc etc and those that wont.

its not a full out speed event its a cross country where road books are used and gps points. no one is allowed to pre view the course. its usually a start stop event of arnd 100km per day for 2 days. this one had to be put togther in a hurry so its been looped.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
So its a 100km race. What sort of time frame ,would you do this in ?
Agreeing with Doug (Roadkill) on this one . No use taking parts that take too long to change . When it gets to this point , youve got to decide to stop and save the quad from expensive damage and pull out or keep going and change before the start of the next days race.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Well I have changed tires in a race as well as straitened tie rods so my best advice is have those on hand any thing else is almost pointless due to time
I am running a team event so I have 10- 20 min depending on length of the track before my partner comes back around.

08 trx700xx lot's O mod's
08 ktm 525xc modded
08 yamaha 450 lightly modded
05 grizzly 660SE (sold)
11 rzr s (sold) and missed

sponsors:
Manford Auto Supply (NAPA)

Teixeira Tech:

L8aton Racing:

Fox Racing:

powermadd:

WAR doesn't determine who's right just who's left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode