My First Race Ever - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My First Race Ever

I know really nothing about racing quads or bikes but I'll be doing my first ATV race ever on May 26 & 27. It's a small race held each year in a small community on the Navajo Nation called Tonalea, AZ. I hear alot of people show up from all over the Navajo Nation to race their bikes and quads in 3 different racing events. Drag, Track and Desert racing. They do not divide the bikes up into class or size catagories. Everyone against everyone.

From what I hear there is a guy that has a Banshee that dominates the drags every year. There is another guy that has a Honda 450 that dominates the track race every year as well. As far as the desert race, this is the first year they are having this race. I do a lot of off road riding on my quad, so I think I may focus my attention on the desert race. I may just enter the other two races for the hell of it just so I can see how I do. I may make a total ass of myself and get my ass whooped too but fuggit....at least I can say I tried.

From my understanding when I called the organizers about entering the race with my 700xx, they said they have only had one 700 class quad enter which was last year. The guy had a Raptor 700 and got his ass whooped by the guys with the banshee and honda 450 in the drag and track race.

All in all it's just an organized Rez-race where everyone comes together and fights for some braggin rights. Sounds like some good times and a lot of fun. I'll post some pics and video after the race. I've never been to this event, so I have no clue what to expect.

Shonie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - Lexx Slip-on, Lexx Programmer,K&N Air Filter, Alba Nerf Bars, Honda Racing Skid Plates

Jeckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - AC Racing Full Exhaust, EHS Programmer, K&N Air Filter, Honda Racing Skid Plates, Alba Nerf Bars, K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Have fun. A pair of built Banchees are the only quads I've lost to at Pismo... but not by much... Everyone else ate my sand.

You should do well in the desert race... our quad excels in that area... Just ask Wayne Matlock.

Go to have FUN and ride at your own skill level and pace.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 26 Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet!

will be waiting for the results.

I had never raced either, but did a few drags at the dunes this season. I had a 13 tooth front on and the 450's would just edge me out. I think if I had ran the 14 it would have been about the rider and hole shot. You might want the 13 for the desert race though, pulls hard and gives you better compression braking. Top end should not be an issue and you'll have the best suspention. Maybe set one of your bikes up, one with a 14 and the other with the 13?

Be carefull and have fun!

08 700XX
07 Long Travel Rhino
07 Suzuki LT2550
06 Kido's Chino 70cc quad
04 Rancher 350ES
04 Rancher 350
91 Jeep YJ
81 ATC 70XX

post #4 of 26 Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Go Shonie777. Have fun which it is all about and I look forward to story of the weekends play.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune64 View Post
Sweet!

will be waiting for the results.

I had never raced either, but did a few drags at the dunes this season. I had a 13 tooth front on and the 450's would just edge me out. I think if I had ran the 14 it would have been about the rider and hole shot. You might want the 13 for the desert race though, pulls hard and gives you better compression braking. Top end should not be an issue and you'll have the best suspention. Maybe set one of your bikes up, one with a 14 and the other with the 13?

Be carefull and have fun!
Yeah, I was thinking of trying that out

Heckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - Lexx Slip-on, Lexx Programmer,K&N Air Filter, Alba Nerf Bars, Honda Racing Skid Plates

Jeckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - AC Racing Full Exhaust, EHS Programmer, K&N Air Filter, Honda Racing Skid Plates, Alba Nerf Bars, K&N Air Filter
post #6 of 26 Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, we went out to the track this past weekend to check it out and give it a test run. There were quite a few people out there doing the same thing we were. They have a drag strip, the track itself and the desert track. The desert track is about 1.5 miles long I'm guessing. It's not a bad track. It's just way too narrow through out most of it in order to pass anyone, there are only like 2 places where you would be able to pass anyone without getting way off the course. The course has some whoops that seem to toss you pretty damn hard where it's hard to keep the bike under control. It also has some pretty tight turns that are nearly impossible to make even if I throw the rearend out. I ran over a few bushes trying to make these turns.

All in all, it's not too bad of a track. I think I just need to practice some more. I took some video with my gopro. I'll try to get it up sometime today.

Shonie

post #7 of 26 Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Here's the video of my first run through the track. Unfamiliar territory.

I forgot to turn on my gopro about 1/3 of the way through the track. But you get to see the last 2/3 of the track in this video.

Shonie

post #8 of 26 Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Nice, looks like Heckle and Jeckle will like that place!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #9 of 26 Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Well the race is this weekend and me and my friend have been practicing everyday. He's racing my other 700xx, so we are going as a team. We made our own track that is compareable to what we are suppose to race on and it's about a mile and a half long with whoops, jumps, dunes, and a few dried out washes. It actually turned out to be a pretty bad ass track I must say.

We got sponsorship from our local NAPA store yesterday. Which is pretty bad ass cuz they are giving us a few hundred bucks, use of the shop and equipment, banners, stickers, etc. The owner of the NAPA has a black 700xx that's pretty hopped up as well. He mentioned that we take his and race it too. So maybe we'll use it in the drag. His 700xx has a bore and cam kit, full exhaust, fuel programmer, etc. It's a nice bike, it just needs the nerfs put on. We'll see what happens.

I'll keep you all posted....

Shonie

post #10 of 26 Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SUBSCRIBED! Get lots of pics an video, I wanna see some 700xx wins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode