User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to crwh45
450R Racing

Hi guys and gals. I know I haven't been floating around here that much. As some of you know, I got a new 2012 450R, same color combo as Matlock, haha. So I am definately fast now. I entered a hare scramble back in July, and barely completed one lap. I am so far out of shape and practice (guess that's what happens when you fly for your job over a million miles a year). The worst part was, I never changed out the thumb throttle to a twist on it, and that is what made me stop racing. I just couldn't squeeze it anymore. Anyway, I still got 14th out of 18, due to some other people breaking down.

So anyway, I finally got a twist throttle on it after about a month. I am running 22" RZR2's, instead of 20"s like most XC guys. But I got hyper rims, pro armor nerfs, PRM front and rear bumbers and skids. Plus 2 stem, HRC hop up kit w/ FMF exhaust. So she is all raring to go, besides suspension of course.

With everything now on there, I entered another race in August, after I have been riding atleast 4 times a week to get myself back in shape. I entered the A class as all my buddies said I was way better than B's, due to past experience. Needless to say, this race made me feel right at home. It was a beautifully rainy day with mud everywhere. The pro guys were there, this wasn't a GNCC sanctioned event, they just had the weekend off so the owners of the track offered bigger pay outs, so a lot of pro's came.

Here I am sitting in the third row, just waiting. Adrenaline pumping and all. Just had to do well after my embarrassing DNF. Green flag goes and first corner is to the left up a knarly hill that is slick with mud. Brand new 22"s gets me right up no problem, I am in 2nd. People apparently got stuck on one side of the hill. I am trailing the leader for a good 3 miles with out any hang ups, and we are catching up to some of the other A guys not in our class, and one gets stuck right in some roots and causes a 10+ quad pile up. Finally get around him after getting passed by several riders that found dryer ground back a ways. Seemed like after that everyone was getting stuck, but I had a slight advantage wit an inch more ground clearance.

Come thru the check point and it says I was 3rd in the class, 17th over all. I was so excited, first time of real competitive racing in over 4 years, and after gaining 60 lbs. Same thing second lap, people getting stuck, having to go around. Fans out there helping out. Coming up just before the finish I stop on top of a knoll where friends are to top off on fuel and goggle exchange/water break. Head thru the check point and now I am 2nd, 24th over all. Still feeling pretty good, getting close to winning my class. This is the last lap. Cant wait.

I get about 7 miles into the lap and my belly just starts hurting. I am thinking to myself, "Man, I must really be hungry!" Nope, two turns later and I almost crap my pants. Literally. I slam on the breaks and jump off the quad, letting the tether kill it. Yank my helmet off and chest protector. I then realized my hands were all mud, so yank my gloves off and try to get the tape off my pants that I put around the waist. Finally get it off and slide my pants down. By the time they are to my thighs, and I just started painting a tree. I mean litereally, it was like a pressure washer shooting back there. After a few mins of this torture, I felt like I was done. "What am I going to use to wipe?" Think about my undies, but too much of a hassle to get my boots off and pants to get them, so I decide on my under shirt. I take it off and rip it in 2, because a poop like this you just know it has a twin. I wipe, put on all my gear, and head back to the quad. Get going and about 2 minutes later have to go again. AHHH, it was a night mare.

Finally get back to racing. I have lost 15-20 minutes here. I am dying, and I am ticked off. Come around a corner onto a pile up, as I am passing them on the lower side I see on of the track personell pointing. I look back and see the number 1 plate of Chris Borich right behind me, as in he is getting ready to lap me. As I am trying to pull off to the right to let him by (that's what we do here, if they aren't in your class and are clearly faster than you, you let them by easily if possible), I put to the left and as he is going to pass we hit some slick spot and his front bumper gets wedged between my rear left tire and my rear bumper. He gets off his machine and pulls it out and I apologize. He says "no problem bud, it happens!" I get on a flat spot about 100 yards up and pull over so he passes.

Four more miles and I finally hit the checkered flag. I am exhausted, and literally pooped out. I took 11th in my class and 41st over all. Not to bad for having a class with 34 riders in it. But after looking at the times, if I was consistent with the first few laps, I would of won my class and got about 14th overall. But the poop cost me 19 minutes. AHHH.

As we were waiting in the trophy room, I walked up to Chris, only meeting him a few times before, and said I haven't met someone so good, that was so polite. Most guys I've raced in a position like him (he is number 1 in the country for GNCC) get super pissed when something like that happens. He was just as chill as chill could be.

That was the last race of the summer series I did. Didn't want to poop in anymore races. Nah, just had too much going on. The 450 is running great. May do some winter series, but more focusing on my new job, hunting/fishing, some snowmobiling, more than racing for the winter. But have been riding almost twice a week every week on a small course we have set up in the woods, and may splurge on some new suspension so next season I can be really competitive.

Chuck

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Snoshoe Send a message via Skype™ to Snoshoe
Sweet, Congrats, better luck next year, may be some TP under the seat in the tool kit, put it in a zip lock JIK
I'd like to try that with the xx but there is not much going on in SC so how much does a tipical hare scramble cost to run total?
Happy New Years

2008 TRX700xx
13Tfront
Kenda Bear Claws 23x8x11
Custom 2" receiver
2007 Honda Forman TRX500es (wifes)
54" Moose plow (for the horse poo)
rear seat/ strorage box
Ground Hog Disk harrow kit
2x 2009 Kawasaki KFX 90 (kids)
PEI fog lights
"If your face isn't dirty, you haven't been riding." Daughter age 10 (riding style, 2 speeds, full out and off)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its amazing how far a KFX 90 will fly if you go fast. 15' is her current record.

Last edited by Snoshoe; 12-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Garage
Well that was a shitty race! lmao...great story I cant believe you shared in such detail thou!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode