Your new TRX700xx - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your new TRX700xx

As with any new machine, it may have setup issues from the dealer. Typical Honda fit and finish is outstanding. Dealer preparation on the other hand often leaves something to be desired (the sixteen year old in the back).

Experience has taught me that a complete inspection of the machine after taking it home has saved me countless problems. I'm starting this thread to build a checklist of things to inspect when the new hotness arrives home. If everyone that has experience with new machines would weigh in with the experiences, this could build to a nice way for new owners to avoid the perils that we have learned from. Here are a few things come to mind:

1. Check all fluid levels as per the manual (oil, coolant, brakes)
2. Check all cables for proper tension and adjustment
3. Check that all shipping shims, bolts, tags, ect... have been removed
4. Check torque values for wheels, shaft bolts, shock bolts, ect...
5. Lubricate the chain and cables
6. Check that the air filter has been properly oiled

After first run:

1. Change the oil and check all other fluids
2. Clean and inspect the entire machine
3. Check torque values again
4. Clean the air filter and re-oil

More long term items should also be checked. I have found on a number of occasions that the factory often uses minimal grease on the majority of the moving parts. One thing I typically do is pull most of the suspension and re-grease everything after the first 25 to 50 hours. I know it is a pain, but it saved the wife’s DR350 from a set of dry bearings from the factory.

Perhaps the Admin could make this a "Sticky"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TRX700xx - FMF 4.1 Complete, FMF Tuner, UNI Filter, DG GNCC up front, AC Six Pack out back, Motion Pro, Trail Tech Bars and Clamps, Trail Tech Stealth Vapor, Maxxis Razor II on Black ITP T9' Front - Go Fast - Don't Look Back.

2008 TRX700xx X 2
1998 - XR600r Yosh pipe, XR's Only Suspension, Hardend Rockers, Big Valves,...
2003 Excursion V10 (Pull Toy)
2003 Warlock 28SXT Cat, 540ci Merlin III (650hp), Merc Bravo 1,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM

great info, a common thing I have read about time and time again, was the fuel selector knob being installed wrong at the dealer, I know mine was.

08 Honda 700xx (4800.00 OTD) 08 popo RZR (14000.00 and counting) Live to ride!!!!
post #3 of 18 Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Excellent info and I agree. Your list just about exactly what I did when I got my 700xx home. I learned this lesson with my 300ex from the same dealer. Free play was the main issue there and chain slack. However, same dealer with the 700xx but this time was properly set up and prepped... no issues at all.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #4 of 18 Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Spacers left between the front hub and rim are common also.

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthre...ighlight=sorts

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #6 of 18 Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM

My 2 cents

Check the front wheels for having shipping washer's between the wheel and the hub this seems to be somewhat common. There should be no washers on your stock wheels anywhere.
Also remove the screw for the fuel valve and reinstall it with blue medium strength loctite. Several people have lost the valve knob as it fell off. Mine was loose.
Tighten the allen head bolts on the exhaust heat shield, they will most likely be loose. Check them again after you get it hot.

Check the clutch free play we had one member loose a clutch because he received it from the dealer with a mis-adjusted clutch.

Service manual here> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IUS0E3HT

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

Last edited by skier207; 03-16-2010 at 10:56 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great idea guys. I'm glad you got the memo.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
post #8 of 18 Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 PM

thanks guys i was just looking at my wheels and noticed they had washers on front and back wheels but they won't here in a minute. but thanks for keeping this link up it does help some of us newbies. i love my new xx and would love to get together with some other riders this summer for a few good days of riding.

2008 trx 700xx

2004 yamaha raptor 80cc
2008 xr 50cc honda
post #9 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM

yep lost my fuel knob selector. had to buy a knew one. thanks for the list of other stuff tho
post #10 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 AM

Just took delivery of mine and as I got it home I realize the front tires were put on wrong. Well at least the thread pattern was. I can just imagine what other stuff they could have gotten WRONG! checked everything else and it seems fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode